What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'11 TX S Will Harlos (Signed to Colorado)

DE seems like a possibility here, get him in red-shirt him and get him up to a reasonable weight, with 4.5 speed and that height he'll be able to hang so LB's on that frame and still blow by people.

Did Will commit? I understand some consternation about overrecruiting a postion, but if Will is 6'4" and 200 and runs a 4.5, there is room for a guy like that on any roster in the country.

If he is that size and does have true 4.5 speed, of course he has a spot on any roster in the country... therein lies the problem.

add 15-20 pounds and use him at wr -- you create a mismatch. Too big/tall for most corners, too fast for most lb/s to cover. Lot of possibilities with this young man, but I'm not sure we're gonna lure him out of his initial commitment.

As I said, I was having trouble figuring out the positional math since we've got a lot of depth at safety and already had some LB commitments.

But I liked Harlos' film and think he will be a very good college football player. He's a ballhawk who likes to hit and has good intelligence for the game. He also has the frame to add 15-20 lbs without losing speed.

That said...

Welcome to the Buffs!

:dance: :dance: :dance:

As I said, I was having trouble figuring out the positional math since we've got a lot of depth at safety and already had some LB commitments.

But I liked Harlos' film and think he will be a very good college football player. He's a ballhawk who likes to hit and has good intelligence for the game. He also has the frame to add 15-20 lbs without losing speed.

That said...

Welcome to the Buffs!

will he be a safety, lb or other...

That said...

Welcome to the Buffs!

Under estimated you...well played sir.

will he be a safety, lb or other...

Supposedly he will come in as a safety and if he plays early, that's where it would happen. His thinking in an interview I saw was that he would likely grow into a linebacker as he got older and spent time training on this level.

Welcome to the Colorado Buffaloes, Will Harlos. You're gonna like it here.

mediaManager

5A All-Area Linebackers

Linebackers (from left): Trevor Mangold of Medina Valley, Austin Wood of Smithson Valley, Will Harlos (22) of Somerset and Skylar Nelson of Alamo Heights.
Photo: EDWARD A. ORNELAS/eaornelas@express-news.net

Will Harlos
Somerset, senior
Size: 6-4, 190
Notable: 27-3A Defensive MVP. ... Recorded 164 tackles, including 51 for loss, and had five forced fumbles, six fumble recoveries, three interceptions and eight pass break-ups for playoff team

More than a few successful college coaches have worked with the idea that you bring in superior athletes and figure out how to fit your system to their talents. This is in contrast to Hawks idea that you tried to force the athletes to fit the system and that the system is more important than the players.

If your problem is that a guy is fast enough to play safety but hits and tackles like a linebacker and you have to figure out how to use him, that is the kind of problem you can win with.

Harlos looks like the kind of athlete who can do a lot of different things but it all comes down to looking like a football player. It looks like the Buffs are finally moving the direction of having the athletes to compete with BCS level teams.

I'm frankly shocked. Thought this was a no brainer against us. Won't argue against another good athlete tho.

He is perfect as a FS, don't see him as a OLB. Doesn't have the frame to add 30 pounds and maintain his speed.

Can't hurt getting some guys from Texas. Probably more guys from Texas in this class than in the last three classes combined.

Interesting article in the paper copy of the DC today about the NCAA looking at the Texas/ESPN TV agreement and how it may affect recruiting and possible unfair advantages for UT. The story originated from the Dallas Morning News so the DC can't link it online and the Dallas paper wants you to put a quarter in the machine to read it. I'm fresh out of quarters. It is kinda interesting. The demise of the Big 12. I'm glad we are Pac12 bound.

Looks just a little .... , but I'll take it! Buffs need a little swagger!

Perhaps a little unfair of you?
Especially when you realize that was not an official photo, but something lifted from his facebook page - him goofing around with a friend on the sidelines. He's 17 or 18 years old and entitled to some swagger. I like him.

will harlos facebook.jpg

Interesting article in the paper copy of the DC today about the NCAA looking at the Texas/ESPN TV agreement and how it may affect recruiting and possible unfair advantages for UT. The story originated from the Dallas Morning News so the DC can't link it online and the Dallas paper wants you to put a quarter in the machine to read it. I'm fresh out of quarters. It is kinda interesting. The demise of the Big 12. I'm glad we are Pac12 bound.

The concern I've heard is that they may be allowed to televise high school games on this network. If that's true, then they could use it as a recruiting tool..."if you commit to UT, we'll air all your high school games..." Reason #4398 why it's good to be leaving the Big 12!

More than a few successful college coaches have worked with the idea that you bring in superior athletes and figure out how to fit your system to their talents. This is in contrast to Hawks idea that you tried to force the athletes to fit the system and that the system is more important than the players.

If your problem is that a guy is fast enough to play safety but hits and tackles like a linebacker and you have to figure out how to use him, that is the kind of problem you can win with.

Harlos looks like the kind of athlete who can do a lot of different things but it all comes down to looking like a football player. It looks like the Buffs are finally moving the direction of having the athletes to compete with BCS level teams.

That would make sense if Hawk had a system that he ever stuck with.

I'm happy for him that he gets to play for CU... but I still think this is a very questionable offer. We are still taking on a lot of players with little to no BCS attention.

That would make sense if Hawk had a system that he ever stuck with.

That was one of the interesting things about the Hawk years. He always believed that his "system" of doing things, his way, was more important than the individual athletes yet he could never stick with one system himself. When you look at it now it is a wonder that he won as many games as the few he did.

I'm happy for him that he gets to play for CU... but I still think this is a very questionable offer. We are still taking on a lot of players with little to no BCS attention.

I think a lot of the guys we pick up this year are really just laying the foundation for future recruiting. Embree and the rest of the staff probably started calling up their old connects and asked "Hey you got anybody for me?". Since they were late coming to the party, the pickin's were slim...but next year when they go back to that same HS coach/program they've built some credit.

Also, they may be trying to up the overall team speed by bulking up these tweeners and shifting them "down" a position. eg Parker to DT, Daigh/Clark to DE, Harlos to LB etc

Harlos had offers from Arkansas, UTEP, SMU, Georgia TECH, and Wake. I think going to school and playing with his child hood friend Stevie Joe Dorman was the deciding factor. Stevie and Will grew up together in San antonio and have dreamed of playing College ball together. They just wish they could get #18 Jacob Hillyer WR who comitted to Iowa to come with them. Jacob is 6"4" 194lbs and had 181 catches for 3000yards and 27 Tds. Next 24 hrs are going to be interesting in San Antonio.

Harlos had offers from Arkansas, UTEP, SMU, Georgia TECH, and Wake. I think going to school and playing with his child hood friend Stevie Joe Dorman was the deciding factor. Stevie and Will grew up together in San antonio and have dreamed of playing College ball together. They just wish they could get #18 Jacob Hillyer WR who comitted to Iowa to come with them. Jacob is 6"4" 194lbs and had 181 catches for 3000yards and 27 Tds. Next 24 hrs are going to be interesting in San Antonio.

I haven't seen him play in person, but I'm already a Steve Joe Fan.:thumbsup:

Woot!!!
:dance5::dance5::dance4:
:gobuffs::gobuffs::gobuffs:
:dance::dance::dance::dance:

Back