What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 CA OT Nico Siragusa (Signed to San Diego State)

AT this stage i agree with staff, they should only take players they believe can help the program. Why take someone because of desperation.

AT this stage i agree with staff, they should only take players they believe can help the program. Why take someone because of desperation.

1. Players can be developed.
2. It builds connections with coaches of that high school and you then have a player-recruiter to recruit for that school and maybe even area.
3. Blank roster/scholarships spots don't produce, whereas there is a better chance with a recruited scholarship player---even if it's a player not being recruited by bigger schools.

Last edited:
You do not take players just to fill roster spots. That catches up to you down the road. Quality depth is the goal, not filling out a depth chart with numbers.

Empty roster spot > non-producing scholarship player.

The wise use of roster spots is especially important this year.

Next year projects to be a very small class. You don't normally like to have years without enough available scholarships to take the kids who you think might be difference makers for you.

There is a legitimate question about are you filling a spot this year and costing yourself a much better player in the future.

2. It builds connections with coaches of that high school and you then have a player-recruiter to recruit for that school and maybe even area.
3. Blank roster/scholarships spots don't produce, whereas there is a better chance with a recruited scholarship player---even if it's a player not being recruited by bigger schools.

I believe a once great coach mentioned this is a terrible way to recruit.

i agree it is important to build connections, but there are other ways of doing it than taking a bad player just to take a good player. And the staff has already built alot of connections in Texas. They can host Junior days, camps , they can correspond with coaches and etc. The most important thing is they must win, winning cures alot of things.

i agree it is important to build connections, but there are other ways of doing it than taking a bad player just to take a good player. And the staff has already built alot of connections in Texas. They can host Junior days, camps , they can correspond with coaches and etc. The most important thing is they must win, winning cures alot of things.

Bad player? No. Project player with potential? yes.

There is a lot of attrition in college football and if there is a player that can potentially help you, even if it takes a few years, that can build connections, do it. Take a complete bum or FCS player? No. Take a player with potential/size issues that is getting mainly MAC type of conference offers who comes from an area in which we are trying to build connections (say, a player at Don Bosco, or something)? Absolutely.

Bad player? No. Project player with potential? yes.

There is a lot of attrition in college football and if there is a player that can potentially help you, even if it takes a few years, that can build connections, do it. Take a complete bum or FCS player? No. Take a player with potential/size issues that is getting mainly MAC type of conference offers who comes from an area in which we are trying to build connections (say, a player at Don Bosco, or something)? Absolutely.

The coaches got to believe in the recruit before they can take him. And the staff have done exactly what you are suggesting, there is a strong presence now in Texas and California. At this stage they should save those 5 remaining spots for the best players available.

Just to add to the chorus: It's the scholarships given to players who never see the field that absolutely kill you. Coaches should be "conservative," in that they don't take a flyer on a player who may or may not be able to contribute. Of course, it's not a science, and even the giants of college football make mistakes when evaluating players. Unlike some teams (cough, cough, Alabama), CU won't "encourage" a scholarship player to "transfer" so they can open a spot.

Just to add to the chorus: It's the scholarships given to players who never see the field that absolutely kill you. Coaches should be "conservative," in that they don't take a flyer on a player who may or may not be able to contribute. Of course, it's not a science, and even the giants of college football make mistakes when evaluating players. Unlike some teams (cough, cough, Alabama), CU won't "encourage" a scholarship player to "transfer" so they can open a spot.

Sadly, that's the main reason why SEC is better than others

Dont be so sure about that.

My sis was a SDSU grad. I love San Diego, man! My two places to live, given my limited travels, would be Denver or San Diego. As far a schools go, I have no clue about SDSU, but I sure do about CU. Can't imagine SDSU comes close to CU in that factor.

My sis was a SDSU grad. I love San Diego, man! My two places to live, given my limited travels, would be Denver or San Diego. As far a schools go, I have no clue about SDSU, but I sure do about CU. Can't imagine SDSU comes close to CU in that factor.

SDSU is not exactly located in the ideal spot. University of San Diego is a much better location.

Back