What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 CO DE Derek McCartney (Signed to Colorado - GS)

Sounds like he needs a year to put on weight, but I want Shannon Clavelle and Kristi McCartney's son to be a Buff. There should never be a question about that.

Huh? He was born a Buff!

Uh huh. And would he be wearing the uni if the Snake Oil man were still in charge? Huh? Would he running onto Folsom's hollowed grounds if the German hadn't bombed Pearl Harbor?

I say, man, the ship's been righted and the good guys are on the move again!

And Shannon's. As explained above. Derek is Shannon's son.

Someone is confused, and it isn't me.
Yep. You are correct, SIR! Sal's son, T.J., walked on at LSU. Shannon's son, Derek is coming to CU! YEAH BABY!

Has anyone seen him play?

It's such a small school that I doubt it. He did lead all of 2A in sacks while making All-State and that school also has the #1 ranked team in 3A basketball with Derek starting for them and putting up good numbers.

What I don't understand is why he didn't do camps in order to get noticed. Between his dad and grandpa, they know the recruiting game. I guess there's a chance that Embree stashed him.

It's such a small school that I doubt it. He did lead all of 2A in sacks while making All-State and that school also has the #1 ranked team in 3A basketball with Derek starting for them and putting up good numbers.

What I don't understand is why he didn't do camps in order to get noticed. Between his dad and grandpa, they know the recruiting game. I guess there's a chance that Embree stashed him.

Sounds very similar to Dorman last year.

Sounds very similar to Dorman last year.

Not really. Dorman did the camps and didn't get offers. That one was much more concerning to me. I thought it would have made more sense to bring both him and Schrock in as PWOs and let them battle over who gets put on scholarship.

It could very well be that Embree supports legacies to a fault, though. We'll know in a few years whether his loyalties are overriding his talent evaluations.

Not really. Dorman did the camps and didn't get offers. That one was much more concerning to me. I thought it would have made more sense to bring both him and Schrock in as PWOs and let them battle over who gets put on scholarship.

It could very well be that Embree supports legacies to a fault, though. We'll know in a few years whether his loyalties are overriding his talent evaluations.

Fair enough. I thought Dorman's uncle said the reason he didn't get offers was because he didn't play the recruiting game. Anyway, I'm not impugning Derek in any way. Seems like he was very productive at a small school, so I'll trust our coaches.

4b2008ca-ec20-b0ab.jpg

Has anyone seen him play?

Yes, in both football and basketball. He is very athletic. Needs to beef up his lower body strength. Has the frame to add some weight. Level of competition makes it hard to project him at this level. I was actually surprised he did not get more press going into the year. I can see him as an outside lb in a 3-4 defense.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Will be neat to see coach JE talk about him at the luncheon (shameless plug)

I like him better as a TE prospect.

Best bet is let his position be determined.

Most important is to have quality, dedicated kids in the program who can match up athletically with the teams we are playing. It was frustrating this year to watch us go out and week after week be both smaller and slower than our opponents at most positions on the field. We were trying to play PAC football with WAC talent. The idea of having players like Derek who could develop into a good enough athlete to compete at more than one position is very appealling.

Back