What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 CO OG Alex Kozan (Signed to Auburn)

I hope he does get on board somewhere...you hate to see a kid pass up a schollie...

He seemed to be enjoying the recruiting process but he was looking at some of the top programs around and they don't usually hold a spot for you unless your are a very top recruit (Jordon Diamond). Recruiting sites list Auburn, IOWA, and Michigan as his top choices. IOWA and Michigan both list 25 recruits and Auburn has 5 Oline commits already. Maybe he no longer has a commitable offer from his top choices anymore. ONCE AGAIN pure speculation on my part. He certainly will be able to land somewhere but his top schools may not have room for him. Maybe he will end up at CU...just curious as to what is happening. Most coaches are just glad that recruiting is over.

Recruiting is never over. Only breaks.

Read the thread.
Give me a break. All we know is that he was a verbal to Iowa and no longer is. If the answer as to why is buried in one of the 335 posts, its BS to just tell someone to "read the thread." If you know the answer, then answer it.

Did he pull his verbal?
Did Iowa drop him?
Is he talking to anyone else?
We know he perfers Michigan, what is up with them?
Is there another program in the picture we don't know about?
Has he decided to become a priest?

Last edited:
Give me a break. All we know is that he was a verbal to Iowa and no longer is. If the answer as to why is buried in one of the 335 posts, its BS to just tell someone to "read the thread." If you know the answer, then answer it.

Did he pull his verbal?
Did Iowa drop him?

Rabbi

Did he pull his verbal?
Did Iowa drop him?
I shall answer your questions:

Yes
No
Yes
Meatchicken is cold
Yes
No

Disclaimer, the answers are correct, unless they are wrong, I know what I am speaking about, except when I don't.

From what I can piece together, it will either be Iowa or Michigan. Expect it to done in the next couple days.

From what I can piece together, it will either be Iowa or Michigan. Expect it to done in the next couple days.

Best of luck to him. Nice to see more and more talent coming out of the in-state prep football ranks. Hopefully Alex will represent well.

In the future, CU will be locking down the borders. Right now, we're rebuilding bridges from the HaLkins debacle and the media "scandal" that preceded it.

Best of luck to him. Nice to see more and more talent coming out of the in-state prep football ranks. Hopefully Alex will represent well.

In the future, CU will be locking down the borders. Right now, we're rebuilding bridges from the HaLkins debacle and the media "scandal" that preceded it.

Agree here. I think this had more to do with the lack of winning, uncertainty with Halkins status which opened the door for other schools. Combine wanted ith a kid that wanted to leave the state and it is pretty simple. Embo did not really have a chance with him. It happens. Embo and the staff seem to be building the relationships and offering kids early. He will get more than he will lose over time but there will always be a few that are set on leaving or grew up a fan and hold another offer as their dream offer. Good luck to them. In state recruiting will get better starting with this next class.

I don't see the big deal about this kid or any other choosing to go elsewhere. I want 100% of the best kids who want to bleed Black and Gold. If a particular recruit has his heart set elsewhere, then we need to look for the next best candidates who wish to make Boulder their home for the next three to five years. Are we going to stop recruiting Colorado kids who the coaches think can play in their scheme? Of course not.

It wasn't so long ago that I was in HS. I really wanted to go to school back east because it wasn't Colorado. Even though I gained admission at my dream school out of HS, going there was cost prohibitive. I was lucky that I grew up in a middle-class family because I loved my four years in Boulder and have way less debt than going to an expensive private university back east. When you're a stud athlete and a big name school from out of town wants to give you a scholarship, that can be more enticing than staying in town and being close to your family. Many kids want to branch out and start fresh somewhere else, which is why we get so many kids from out of state here in Colorado. Embo was right, however, MOST kids from CO leave the state only to: a) get buried on the depth chart; b) return home with their tails between their legs up to Greeley or little brother college; or, c) fall off the face of the earth (Chris Martin anyone?)

As we saw last year, being on this team is difficult. Changing the mindset of the players, getting them to work at a level where they have not worked before, etc. will be tough without the players having a higher baseline of athletic skill. Some kids are weak and want to be babysat. Embo has made it clear that the level of expectation at Colorado has been set at a very high mark. If a kid wants to be fellated somewhere else, then it's our job to move on in life.

I don't see the big deal about this kid or any other choosing to go elsewhere. I want 100% of the best kids who want to bleed Black and Gold. If a particular recruit has his heart set elsewhere, then we need to look for the next best candidates who wish to make Boulder their home for the next three to five years. Are we going to stop recruiting Colorado kids who the coaches think can play in their scheme? Of course not.

It wasn't so long ago that I was in HS. I really wanted to go to school back east because it wasn't Colorado. Even though I gained admission at my dream school out of HS, going there was cost prohibitive. I was lucky that I grew up in a middle-class family because I loved my four years in Boulder and have way less debt than going to an expensive private university back east. When you're a stud athlete and a big name school from out of town wants to give you a scholarship, that can be more enticing than staying in town and being close to your family. Many kids want to branch out and start fresh somewhere else, which is why we get so many kids from out of state here in Colorado. Embo was right, however, MOST kids from CO leave the state only to: a) get buried on the depth chart; b) return home with their tails between their legs up to Greeley or little brother college; or, c) fall off the face of the earth (Chris Martin anyone?)

As we saw last year, being on this team is difficult. Changing the mindset of the players, getting them to work at a level where they have not worked before, etc. will be tough without the players having a higher baseline of athletic skill. Some kids are weak and want to be babysat. Embo has made it clear that the level of expectation at Colorado has been set at a very high mark. If a kid wants to be fellated somewhere else, then it's our job to move on in life.

Nailed it.

Embo was right, however, MOST kids from CO leave the state only to: a) get buried on the depth chart; b) return home with their tails between their legs up to Greeley or little brother college; or, c) fall off the face of the earth (Chris Martin anyone?)
I think your post is pretty much spot on, but this part is a little misleading. It has nothing to do with where kids are from or where they decide to go. The truth is that every single school's signing class is 20-25 players and not everyone is going to make an impact. Just look at all the heralded players that came to CU the last few years and ended up exactly in one of the three scenarios you described - Simmons, Katoa, D Scott, MTM, Nuckols, and the list goes on and on. I don't have any factual basis for these numbers but I bet if you take the average BCS school's class after 5 years it will look something like this:

25% never play a meaningful snap due to academics, injuries, lack of development, etc
25% become backups/special teams players
25% become solid contributors (starter for 1+ year)
25% become multi-year starters making at least honorable mention on an all-conference team, and 3-4 have a shot at being drafted

When we look back we tend to remember the players that left the state and faded into obscurity (Mister Jones, Chris Martin, etc) and not the ones that found success (Lendale White, Lamarr Houston, Jeff Byers).

I think your post is pretty much spot on, but this part is a little misleading. It has nothing to do with where kids are from or where they decide to go. The truth is that every single school's signing class is 20-25 players and not everyone is going to make an impact. Just look at all the heralded players that came to CU the last few years and ended up exactly in one of the three scenarios you described - Simmons, Katoa, D Scott, MTM, Nuckols, and the list goes on and on. I don't have any factual basis for these numbers but I bet if you take the average BCS school's class after 5 years it will look something like this:

25% never play a meaningful snap due to academics, injuries, lack of development, etc
25% become backups/special teams players
25% become solid contributors (starter for 1+ year)
25% become multi-year starters making at least honorable mention on an all-conference team, and 3-4 have a shot at being drafted

When we look back we tend to remember the players that left the state and faded into obscurity (Mister Jones, Chris Martin, etc) and not the ones that found success (Lendale White, Lamarr Houston, Jeff Byers).

You make some good points, you can find kids from every state that left the state and didn't succeed.

Colorado kids leaving the state though do have a little bigger hill to climb. Simply put Colorado is not anybodies key recruiting grounds. The limited number of top quality D1 level players produced by the state minus the number of those who stay home means that Colorado will never be as important for finding recruits as the home states or as states that are hotbeds of talent like Texas, California, Florida, or even Louisiana, Georgia, Ohio.

Because of this coaches are going to consider how playing time for current players impacts future recruiting. This doesn't mean that a quality Colorado kid can't win a job and get on the field. It does mean that if the guy he is competing against is from Texas or another more important recruiting state he has to be notably better to win that job. If things are equal at a lot of schools they won't be equal, the CO kid will sit or be the one moved to another position, etc.

Because of this coaches are going to consider how playing time for current players impacts future recruiting. This doesn't mean that a quality Colorado kid can't win a job and get on the field. It does mean that if the guy he is competing against is from Texas or another more important recruiting state he has to be notably better to win that job. If things are equal at a lot of schools they won't be equal, the CO kid will sit or be the one moved to another position, etc.
There is something to be said for coaches building relationships with certain high schools/HS coaches. And all other things being equal, the local product might get the nod on that basis. However I think that those cases are fairly rare, because ultimately the #1 job of a coach is to win games and you do that by playing your best players. Are Texas kids going to stop signing with UT or California kids stop dreaming of USC because out of state recruits win positional battles? If anything I think you are on the right track but came to the wrong conclusion: an OOS player does not have to be significantly better to win playing time over a local, the OOS player has to be significantly better for the coach to want to recruit him over in-state/regional options in the first place.

There is something to be said for coaches building relationships with certain high schools/HS coaches. And all other things being equal, the local product might get the nod on that basis. However I think that those cases are fairly rare, because ultimately the #1 job of a coach is to win games and you do that by playing your best players. Are Texas kids going to stop signing with UT or California kids stop dreaming of USC because out of state recruits win positional battles? If anything I think you are on the right track but came to the wrong conclusion: an OOS player does not have to be significantly better to win playing time over a local, the OOS player has to be significantly better for the coach to want to recruit him over in-state/regional options in the first place.

Idealy if a coach has a choice of a local kid or an OOS kid he would only recruit the OOS if he is superior to the in-state. The difficulty is that they are projecting which is an iffy thing. Some guys develop more or less than the expectation. Coaches aren't going to sit a better player in favor of an in-state or a kid from a recruiting hotbed. If things are relatively equal though coaches will give preference based on the idea of being able to tell future prospect "yes we have X number of players from your area. XX is a starter for us and YY is the first back-up as a sophmore, that could be you."

Is it possible to start a new thread for all of these debates? I'm personally tired of seeing this kid who isn't considering CU at the top of our recruiting board. That is all.

Grimes is clearly a great recruiter. Getting kids outside of the South to pick Auburn takes a lot of work.

Back