What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 CO QB Cyler Miles (Signed to Washington)

A pro style offense with a mobile quarterback is nearly impossible to defend. It's a matter of numbers.
This.
I posted a bit earlier about him being simply a pro-style type guy who can run and not a Berglund type. Glad to hear it straight from the kid, and like 'Nik said, feeling pretty good...

This.
I posted a bit earlier about him being simply a pro-style type guy who can run and not a Berglund type. Glad to hear it straight from the kid, and like 'Nik said, feeling pretty good...

Absolutely not projecting any HS player to the pro level but I heard an interesting discussion on the radio the other day.

Exactly how many of these QBs putting up huge numbers in the spread offenses and other gimmick offenses in college have really made it in the NFL. Look at the guys from Texas Tech who tore up the record books, look at the Hawaii guys, etc. Alex Smith was a first pick in the NFL draft and has been a bust.

The closest anyone has gotten is Sam Bradford who ran a hybrid pro-set with a lot of four wides.

If a player has dreams of going on to the next level his best bet is to find a school that is going to prepare him for the next level. JE and EB have the T-shirts, they have been there.

In addition I think we are already seeing defenses adjust to the spreads. A gimmick offense works well when you are the only one running it (see Air Force and its option) but once teams are practicing against it themselves and see it frequently it tends not to work as well.

If Cyler decides to factor in to his decision the experience that the coaches have in pro-level offenses and his chances to run a solid system that is built to win over the long haul then he is thinking wisely and we are in good shape.

I am not really in tune with Denver prep sports, but what is it about Mullen that makes their players more prone to want to leave the state for school than other high schools. Maybe there isn't a definitive answer to this, but a lot of people have made similar comments, but I don't know if anyone knows the basis for it. In any event, I'm sure the staff will put the full court press on him to get him and hopefully he will decide to buck that trend.

I am not really in tune with Denver prep sports, but what is it about Mullen that makes their players more prone to want to leave the state for school than other high schools. Maybe there isn't a definitive answer to this, but a lot of people have made similar comments, but I don't know if anyone knows the basis for it. In any event, I'm sure the staff will put the full court press on him to get him and hopefully he will decide to buck that trend.

Obviously doesn't apply to all of their players but a lot of them have already demonstrated a kind of mercinary attitude coming to Mullen in the first place. Some of their kids are products of the Catholic school system and Catholic families for whom Mullen was the logical HS of choice regardless of athletics.

A lot more of their players are not products of the Catholic school system, not even Catholic. They are there because they were persuaded (recruited) to attend Mullen and participate in sports. They have already shown that ties to their neighborhood schools, their friends, etc. are secondary to them. They go across the city to go to HS, no big deal to leave the state for a better deal in college in their minds

I qualify this as a broad generalization that doesn't apply to all kids. CU has had some great kids from Mullen as has CSU, AFA, and the smaller schools in state but the joke about Dave Logan turning down the UNC job because of the lower recruiting budget has some element of truth.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Miles. I am hoping we see some more QB offers popping up soon because we have only offered Miles and two others thus far. The two out of state offers are pipe dreams and Miles is anything but a lock for us. Given the fact most of the blue chip QBs commit early, we either need to be in really good shape with Miles by the time summer rolls around or we need to be looking elsewhere.

Obviously doesn't apply to all of their players but a lot of them have already demonstrated a kind of mercinary attitude coming to Mullen in the first place. Some of their kids are products of the Catholic school system and Catholic families for whom Mullen was the logical HS of choice regardless of athletics.

A lot more of their players are not products of the Catholic school system, not even Catholic. They are there because they were persuaded (recruited) to attend Mullen and participate in sports. They have already shown that ties to their neighborhood schools, their friends, etc. are secondary to them. They go across the city to go to HS, no big deal to leave the state for a better deal in college in their minds

I qualify this as a broad generalization that doesn't apply to all kids. CU has had some great kids from Mullen as has CSU, AFA, and the smaller schools in state but the joke about Dave Logan turning down the UNC job because of the lower recruiting budget has some element of truth.

A lot of players leave the state because they have their eye on a pro career. CU has not been attractive to the "pro" athlete for awhile. The better the program gets, the more the top recruits will stay because it won't seem as risky to their long term goals.

A lot of players leave the state because they have their eye on a pro career. CU has not been attractive to the "pro" athlete for awhile. The better the program gets, the more the top recruits will stay because it won't seem as risky to their long term goals.

Agree, but at the same time a lot of the Mullen kids are guys who hold no allegiance and are open to leave by nature. Miller was a "pro" guy coming out of HS, so was Kasa and Major. Darrell Scott from out of state was easily considered a "pro" guy and came to CU.

I just think that moreso than them neccessarily being "pro" guys you get a lot of "grass is greener" guys coming out of Mullen. As I stated there are certainly plenty of exceptions. Daigh this year had other options and stayed in Colorado, same can be said for Shawn Daniels when he came out and even some kids who have gone to CSU. The culture at Mullen is one of where can I get the best deal and they seem to believe that that is out of state even if CU is offering.

I do think that if anyone can change this somewhat it is the combination of Embree and EB. Still to be seen if it happens.

Also I am getting the impression and I hope it is correct that Cyler Miles is a bit more of an independant thinker and is likely to give JE a more open listen than some guys have in the past. Ultimately I can't blame a kid for making the decision that he believes is best for himself, I just have a hard time believing that some of these guys actually gave fair consideration to CU before leaving because if they had more would still be here.

We're going to get a pocket passer for this team with the coaching we have on the roster. It doesn't have to be a premium athlete like Miles, although that would be nice. (for the record, Miles has great skills, definitely not knocking passing ability. He's got a rocket launcher on his shoulder.) He looks destined to play in a spread offense IMO, something CU cannot offer, and i'm okay with that.

Miles wants to play in a pro style offense and he doesn't want to be recruited as an "Athlete". Things are looking better there than I expected.

Also according to my mom, who taught Miles says that he is family oriented and is likely to stay close to home next year.

Miles wants to play in a pro style offense and he doesn't want to be recruited as an "Athlete". Things are looking better there than I expected.

I agree on Thurston, Boulder. He's becoming my favorite in-state prospect. And I didn't think I'd be all that high on this year's Colorado class, but there are at least 5 guys I want. That number could go as high as 8 depending on how some linemen develop.

Huge news, if true. If i'm an athlete/QB with the type of size and measurables Miles has, i'd be demanding to go into a pro-stystem. How many spread QB's are legitimately looked at for the NFL without the project label being thrown on them? Tebow and Newton were the most recent two... Tebow was predicted to be a 2-3 year project before he ever saw the field, pending coaches completely breaking down his mechanics and building them back up. I imagine most will say the same thing with Newton this spring heading into the draft.

Miles would be wise to stick with a proset offense, something we can provide, along with NFL coaching. That's exciting for CU.

New article from Scout has me cautiously optimistic about landing Miles. Tons of respect for Embree and he sees himself playing QB in a Pro Style offense (not a spread).

http://colorado.scout.com/2/1048811.html

"I met Embree briefly. He's a great guy. It's a beautiful campus up there. They've got the athletes. I think they really just need to build around Embree and they can get back where they've been in the past years."

Some have Miles pegged as a dual-threat quarterback whose talents might best be utilized in an option or spread offense at the college level. However, he said he believes programs with pro-style offenses will suit him best. That could be another factor working in Colorado's favor, especially considering five of the six offensive coaches, including Embree, have experience in the NFL.

Lots more good stuff in the original article.

Fantastic. Thanks for posting.

I've watched his video. Great build for a QB but the thing that blew me away the most... the kid has a quick trigger! He can throw that thing far, and quick. Very good arm. His legs are just the cherry on top.

Did a little editing to keep the Cyler Miles discussion in his profile thread.

Miles keeps growing on me as a prospect. I keep getting more impressed with his arm and his game management skills. He's a lot more than just a guy who can run. He's a game changer.

Rivals has a whole cut-up.

Here are a few game highlights from MaxPreps, about 5-8 minutes a piece. It's for the whole team so you have to watch for the throwing plays. For the record, Miles throws a deep ball similar to a former CU QB who wore #10. :)

Vs. Columbine

http://www.maxpreps.com/local/playe...&videoid=278ff63a-bec0-443e-b77e-0f3d9538dbbb

Vs. Bear Creek

http://video.maxpreps.com/video/lCh...-creek-bears/mullen,-co-vs-bear-creek,-co.htm

He plays in a Pro-style offense at Mullen from what i saw from the video. Alot of boot leg, play actions, 5 step drops, under center and etc. Is DAve logan still the head coach at Mullen. I heard he was interviewing for the UNC job, and didn't get it, did he return to Mullen. The standard of HS football in Colorado overall is poor. Mullen looked bigger and stronger than Columbine and Bear creek. After saying that, Cyler Miles will be an excellent QB in a pro-system. He has the arm, and the athlethicsm. A good QB coach can work on the accuracy , release, going through the progressions and etc. .

Last edited:
US Army Combine

[video]http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/recruiting-football/AMP-Cyler-Miles-997509[/video]

The standard of HS football in Colorado overall is poor. Mullen looked bigger and stronger than Columbine and Bear creek.

I disagree. It's not a low standard, it's a lack of depth. Mullen is a powerhouse, filled with D-1 talent. After that, you have to hunt and peck for D-1 players.

I'm surprised he doesn't have more offers. I think him waiting it out will benefit CU. More of the bigger programs will or have already taken a QB. Cal has arguably the top QB in the West committed. ND is a major player for Kiel. I wouldn't count out those programs making Miles their 2nd QB in the class... but from the looks of it he will be the man at CU

New Miles update: Illinios has offered.

According to "Orange and Blue News" he is holding offers from Illinois, Arizona State, Baylor, Colorado, Norte Dame and Vanderbilt.

Also Arizona State.

Nice quote from Miles, when asked what he thinks of Illinios "They are in my top ten, I guess."

Cool, because he has 8 offers.

Miles has double digit offers now. Will be visiting CU and Washington in the coming weeks. Beyond that, it sounds like he wants to make a decision sooner than originally planned. This is a really hard recruitment to read.

Miles has double digit offers now. Will be visiting CU and Washington in the coming weeks. Beyond that, it sounds like he wants to make a decision sooner than originally planned. This is a really hard recruitment to read.

I think he likes CU, likes our coaches, likes our offensive system, and sees the family benefit of staying close to home. But I also would put our chances at under 50% because I've seen nothing to indicate he's leaning this direction. Seems very open and has done a great job of playing this close to the vest.

Back