What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 CO QB Cyler Miles (Signed to Washington)

Sark has a proven track record of putting QB's into the NFL, and Miles himself said he could care less about what other QB's are on the roster. USC did just fine with a stable of QB's, Cassell never even played and got drafted, and Sanchez started just one year before going in the first round. It's not a bad thing to compete every day in practice against other good QB's, it will only make him a better player and help him increase his skills.

Sark has a proven track record of putting QB's into the NFL, and Miles himself said he could care less about what other QB's are on the roster. USC did just fine with a stable of QB's, Cassell never even played and got drafted, and Sanchez started just one year before going in the first round. It's not a bad thing to compete every day in practice against other good QB's, it will only make him a better player and help him increase his skills.

Don't disagree. Just the nature of the beast that it's likely that some of the guys who lose your QB battles will transfer, especially if they lose to prospects who are in the same class or younger. For UDub, that's a nice problem to have but it does probably make Miles' commitment softer than it would be if there wasn't already a highly rated in-state guy at QB in his class. I wasn't expecting Miles to choose CU and I'm very happy with Dillon (who I think fits our system better with them being equivalent talents), but you need to watch this one closely. Other programs aren't going to give up on recruiting him.

Sark

Chow may have been the OC, but Sark was the QB coach, and Sark played for and was coached by either Chow or Chow's mentor (can't remember off the top of my head). And Locker was drafted #8 overall in the first round... you can't argue that Sark didn't improve Locker's ability as a QB considering under Ty he didn't even have a QB coach. Some credit should also go to quarterbacks Coach Nuss, who was a good college QB himself and set some NCAA records.

Chow may have been the OC, but Sark was the QB coach, and Sark played for and was coached by either Chow or Chow's mentor (can't remember off the top of my head). And Locker was drafted #8 overall in the first round... you can't argue that Sark didn't improve Locker's ability as a QB considering under Ty he didn't even have a QB coach. Some credit should also go to quarterbacks Coach Nuss, who was a good college QB himself and set some NCAA records.

Locker is overated. He is not accuarate, being drafted 8th overall is a joke, an act of desperation by the General manager of the Titans. I wouldn't have drafted Locker untill the 6th round. Even Christian Ponder and Dalton are better than Locker.

Locker is overated. He is not accuarate, being drafted 8th overall is a joke, an act of desperation by the General manager of the Titans. I wouldn't have drafted Locker untill the 6th round. Even Christian Ponder and Dalton are better than Locker.

....?!?!...to each their own, but...Locker is a winner and can play. 8th might have been too high, but he is a legit first rounder. I personally do not like Ponder over Locker at all.

....?!?!...to each their own, but...Locker is a winner and can play. 8th might have been too high, but he is a legit first rounder. I personally do not like Ponder over Locker at all.

Tim Tebow who went in the mid 20's last year is better than Locker that was taken 8th overall this year. The NFL GM handling the draft lost there senses this year. And i don't rate Tebow either, The Broncos made a mistake drafting Tebow.

Lots of opinions differ when it comes to QBs. I don't think Locker was neccessarily a stretch at #8 and he certainly deserved to be drafted in the first round. What you do have to look at though of interest is even with the loss of some significant talent around him, he went from a consensus first pick in the draft the prior year had he come out to a surprise pick in the top 10. He certainly didn't gain from the extra year with the coaching staff.

The Locker hate I find truly laughable.

To the subject of Miles at UW? There is certainly a looming log jam at QB potentially over the next few years at UW. It's great for UW. Miles won't be committed until he signs his LOI, and his recruitment I think will go down to the wire ultimately. I think Miles will be successful wherever he ultimately lands. I hope it's UW (selfishly), but he seems like a legit player and I'll wish him well regardless (although if he doesn't sign with UW I hope he goes outside of the Pac).

Back to the Locker hate, I think if you don't think he's a QB then you haven't watched him play much. It's as simple as that. He's a winner, always has been, and always will be. He will outwork and outstudy anybody else on the roster. He's humble and the consummate teammate. That has been proven and will continue to be so... No collegiate QB in the nation played behind a worse line for four years. No QB had more dropped balls by receivers in the past few years. Jake essentially had 2 years of QB coaching (once Sark and Nussmeier came on board), and is more like a sophomore QB skipping his final two years to go to the NFL than a QB who played for four years. Jake could certainly benefit from sitting for a couple years while adjusting to the NFL, I just hope he gets the chance ala Aaron Rodgers... And UW now has a pro-style offense. Except last year UW played without a tight end (high percentage throws). If you don't count receiver drops Jake's completion percentage would raise probably 5 points. Jake rarely had time to take a 3 or 5 step drop, plant and throw due to the porous line play... poor line play probably lowered his completion percentage by 5-10 points easily. And he didn't have a TE to throw to which is essential in a true pro-style offense. Not to mention he played half of his senior season with broken ribs. Most QBs wouldn't play one game with broken ribs. If Jake played with Tebow's squad at Florida it is not unreasonable to assume his completion percentage would have been over 70% with QB coaching every year, better line play and player's who could catch the ball. Many of Jake's incompletions this year were due to throwing the ball away (all receivers covered). I think at times an incompletion via throwing it away is better than a sack or interception, but I'm sure there are people who would argue against that.

Jake is still an unpolished QB by any measure, but there is no reason to think he couldn't excel at the next level. I could potentially see him being a bust, and I could just as easily imagine him being a multiple pro-bowl level QB that will be talked about like a Favre, Manning or Brady when his career is over. Jake's intangibles are all there, he can make every NFL thrown, and he is mobile. He is also a winner and capable of carrying a team on his back. He carried a horrible UW team for his entire career and has already had as many expectations placed on him as any player ever did in college.

If Jake has an NFL career similar to Brett Favre will he be considered a bust? Or a steal? When you look at college stat's Jake is most comparable to Favre. They are within 1 inch of height and 5 pounds weight, both tough as nails with wills to win. Here's their college stats:

Team
GP
Comp
Att
%
Yds
TD
INT
Y/A
RATING
Favre
44​
613​
1169​
52.4​
7695​
52​
34​
6.6​
116.6​
Locker
40​
619​
1147​
53.9​
7639​
53​
35​
6.7​
119.1​

Hate on Jake if you must, but I for one am interested in seeing how he does in the NFL. He'll have more time to throw despite being in the NFL due to improved line play. His receivers will drop fewer balls, and he'll have a full arsenal with better surrounding talent. If you've watched him play he's not a guy you would easily bet against... Ty nearly ruined him, and Sark and Nuss did a tremendous job in their two years with Jake. His improvement has been great under their tutelage. And with all things considered and all the haters, he was still drafted in the Top Ten. NTS... even Sark says he has more potential than Sanchez...

He certainly didn't gain from the extra year with the coaching staff.

I disagree. Jake was hurt for half the year and is not NFL-ready. Everyone can see that. His time in the film room and with coaches helped him improve, even if statistics don't show that. He needed all the coaching he could get, and he had a goal of winning a bowl game - more allegiance to his team than to money (a good trait IMO). And he got what he wanted when UW beat down knU.

Jake set himself up for a bigger 2nd NFL contract by staying in school. The 2nd contract is worth way more than the 1st if you become elite... He missed early (top pick) guaranteed money this year, but gave himself more time to develp, which he needs. Not to mention he's going to a team that has a good line with a good running game (critical to QB play, especially early on). He didn't go to a team that was downright awful in every respect (1st pick) which would almost certainly hamper a long-term career. He's a throwback to another era quite frankly... I'm now a Titan fan as well:nod:

I disagree. Jake was hurt for half the year and is not NFL-ready. Everyone can see that. His time in the film room and with coaches helped him improve, even if statistics don't show that. He needed all the coaching he could get, and he had a goal of winning a bowl game - more allegiance to his team than to money (a good trait IMO). And he got what he wanted when UW beat down knU.

Jake set himself up for a bigger 2nd NFL contract by staying in school. The 2nd contract is worth way more than the 1st if you become elite... He missed early (top pick) guaranteed money this year, but gave himself more time to develp, which he needs. Not to mention he's going to a team that has a good line with a good running game (critical to QB play, especially early on). He didn't go to a team that was downright awful in every respect (1st pick) which would almost certainly hamper a long-term career. He's a throwback to another era quite frankly... I'm now a Titan fan as well:nod:

I should have clarified that he didn't help himself in draft position.

I am a big believer that the eventual success of QBs in the NFL is much more team dependant than people are willing to admit. Look at the number of highly rated QBs the Bengals have ruined (even Palmer who had some success has been somewhat of a bust) and how many later drafterd QBs who go to a team that can provide them with support (ala Rothlesberger, Rodgers, etc.) exceed initial expectations.

I don't know if Locker is going to be a successful NFL QB. You obviously have an understandable bias for him. Most NFL teams aren't stupid, if he didn't have the raw talent to be successful he would not have been drafted as high as he was. That said I'm not sure that he ended up in a situation where he will have the support and patience given him to succeed. In this case last years #1, Sam Bradford went to a terrible team but one that had a reasonable amount of offensive talent including the line and good coaching. Locker is going into a team that has been weak in those areas. It will be interesting to see what happens but not getting picked #1 like he would have been, safe to say that he left some millions on the table, at least at the outset. If he will be successful with the Titans, I would imagine he would have been successful with the Rams in a better situation and his second contract for each would be large.

I should have clarified that he didn't help himself in draft position.

I am a big believer that the eventual success of QBs in the NFL is much more team dependant than people are willing to admit. Look at the number of highly rated QBs the Bengals have ruined (even Palmer who had some success has been somewhat of a bust) and how many later drafterd QBs who go to a team that can provide them with support (ala Rothlesberger, Rodgers, etc.) exceed initial expectations.

I don't know if Locker is going to be a successful NFL QB. You obviously have an understandable bias for him. Most NFL teams aren't stupid, if he didn't have the raw talent to be successful he would not have been drafted as high as he was. That said I'm not sure that he ended up in a situation where he will have the support and patience given him to succeed. In this case last years #1, Sam Bradford went to a terrible team but one that had a reasonable amount of offensive talent including the line and good coaching. Locker is going into a team that has been weak in those areas. It will be interesting to see what happens but not getting picked #1 like he would have been, safe to say that he left some millions on the table, at least at the outset. If he will be successful with the Titans, I would imagine he would have been successful with the Rams in a better situation and his second contract for each would be large.

I completely agree he didn't help his draft position. I think he knows it and doesn't care because he made the best decision for him, which is more important to him IMO...

And I think Bradford is a better QB than I ever thought. He's the real deal and will be a force for years to come. STL is not a good enough team where any rookie QB should do half of what Bradford accomplished. I think Jake would fare much worse in STL than Nashville with the supporting cast, at least IMO...

With regard to Jake, I'm certainly biased. Part of that is because from everything I've ever read he has as high of a character that you could ever hope for in a professional athlete. He's truly a phenom athletically and his personality and character is ever better... he will truly be missed as a Husky, and I (and others) only wish he had a better Husky squad to compete with. He deserves better than what he got, and that just adds to his legend as a Pacific Northwest sports icon...

I think Jake knows he lost ground in the overall pick ranking by not being first. I think he could care less because he's not just looking to make a quick buck. He wants to win. Period. By being a lower pick he's setting himself up for a longer and better NFL career IMO, because the team that drafted him is not horrible. I'm sensing that he will play this year (I wish he didn't have to), but as bad as the Titans could possibly be at OL and a running game, it is worlds better than anything he's ever had before. For the past 8-9 years Jake has been expected to win without any help. Now he will get some, even if the NFL is as tough as it gets...

I can't wait to see him play over the next several years...

Jake's got to learn not to try to run over LBs. Settle down, don't take so many hits, and choose his battles. I think some of the accuracy issues in college were due to being beat up and too fired up. He's got to start playing with the mentality of a QB. Everything else is there to be great.

Jake's got to learn not to try to run over LBs. Settle down, don't take so many hits, and choose his battles. I think some of the accuracy issues in college were due to being beat up and too fired up. He's got to start playing with the mentality of a QB. Everything else is there to be great.

Completely agree.

One of Jake's problems is that he was told to run, run, run during the Willingham-error of Husky football. In high school too. Again, he's had realistically 2 years of college QB coaching. Not great for a player that may play in the NFL this year at the hardest position... On a 3 or 5 or 7 step drop there was usually a DL in his face before planting his foot. That's tough to deal with as a QB (no OL play)... Ty wanted to save his job and told Jake to run. Once those habits are established it's hard to reign them in... He's started to get the mentality of a QB, but he's not used to others helping the team win. He will either learn to do that or perish, although I think he's made great strides in this regard...

That said, I do not expect people to view him as an NFL QB for a couple years at least. He's still unlearning bad habits, and that is his biggest hurdle IMO to becoming a great NFL QB. But bad habits can be unlearned... I for one think Jake will do it. I haven't seen anything from him that leads me to believe otherwise.

People can hate the Huskies all they want, but Jake is the type of person that will make you root for the good guys...

Don't get me wrong, I like Locker, but the game vs Nebraska (regular season) was one of the worst performances by a QB ever imo. He wasn't getting any help from his line or WRs, but he was just plain awful that day. I think he's going to be a good NFL QB if given time, but if they throw him in the fire too early he could fail pretty easily imo. He needs to learn to be a QB and not some mutant linebackerQB.

Forgive me, but I sill think Embo is in Cyler's corner and recruiting him. The kid has skills, and UW will waste them with the Montana drama.

flipper.jpg

Completely agree.

One of Jake's problems is that he was told to run, run, run during the Willingham-error of Husky football. In high school too. Again, he's had realistically 2 years of college QB coaching.

Totally agree, but during the last 5 games of his husky career he was told to "run" by sark. They ended up going to and winning a bowl game. Because of locker's (and polk's) legs. As passer he is very average IMO. His rating was comparable to Cody's and Tyler's. As far as the favre comparison, the gunslinger had holmgren to mold him. Not sure who the titan's have but i'm guessing holmgren he's not. I hope he succeeds, i really do. Just not sure if it will happen.

If Cyler gets more than one practice at QB at UW I would be shocked. They are going to be loaded with QB prospects. What does Cyler going against him to stay at the position. The other QBs will either have more time in the program or be higher rated coming in. Nick Montana is much higher profile coming in because of his dad. You aren't likely to change positions on a guy who you have already invested a year or more of time developing for the position and you aren't going to change positions on the guy who gets national headlines because of his name.

So who do you move, the kid who is new to the program, the kid who is the lowest rated recruit of the bunch, the kid who comes from a state that is a lower recruiting priority than the others, and the kid who is probably the best all around natural athlete of the group and most equiped to play a different position.

Cyler may end up playing corner, safety, wide reciever, even running back for the Huskies but despite what the coaches may be telling him now he is unlikely to ever see the field as a QB.

I agree, Cyler will be playing WR. Mullen and Logan have not had a great record with qb's at the next level.

Cyler is a good player. Washington may not be the right fit for him, still has a lot of time to change his mind. But CU is set at Quarterback.

Didn't finish in the top 11 for the elite 11 but was really impressive. I'm rooting for Cyler and Dillion to be the top QB's in the Pac-12. Dillion #1 though. :smile2:

FWIW... as an early aside, I will be SHOCKED if Jake isn't invited to multiple pro-bowls over his career.

I highly doubt he goes to multiple pro bowls playing for the titans with Chris Johnson as there work horse back. I would put the over under at 2 total pro bowls where he likely gets in as say the 5th or 6th best candidate but the other guys can't go. Making the Pro Bowl at QB isn't what it once was. Especially now that the elite QB of the league is likely ineligible and in the SB.

Cyler is a good player. Washington may not be the right fit for him, still has a lot of time to change his mind. But CU is set at Quarterback.
Uh, we are? We think we have a 3-4 year starter, but that's it... at best, we still need depth and competition. At worst, we need a backup plan.

Wonder how Cyler will like going from 300 days of sunsine per year (or 245 or whatever it actually is) to 58. We do have a lot of time, so I don't want to bad mouth him too much. But for everyone rooting for him just because he is from Colorado, come on! He picked the team that may end up being one of our top 3 or 4 rivals in the PAC12 who we already seem to compete the most with in recruiting! Who cares about us having a great QB already, so did UW. I wouldn't care if he went to some school out of conference, but you go to UW and you become the enemy . . .

He's overrated. I am sure he has done well in camps, but if I had the best offensive line in the state, the best running backs in the state, and the best wide receivers in the state as well as a dominant defense anyone could compete at a high level. With losing Adonis as well as key linebackers in the defense would not be suprised if his stock drops a bit.

He's overrated. I am sure he has done well in camps, but if I had the best offensive line in the state, the best running backs in the state, and the best wide receivers in the state as well as a dominant defense anyone could compete at a high level. With losing Adonis as well as key linebackers in the defense would not be suprised if his stock drops a bit.

The bonus with him is that he is a very good athlete. If he doesn't make it at QB then he is a good enough athlete to contribute at a number of other positions. He may not believe it but I have no doubt that this is what UW has in the back of their mind for him with the other guys they already have.

He still may make it at QB, Logan is a pretty good coach and having that talent around him lets him practice at a fairly high level. I'm glad we have Dillon instead of Miles but if he came to CU with the understanding that Dillon is likely to be the QB of the future I wouldn't mind at all.

Back