What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 JC DE Morgan Breslin (Signed to USC)

Just out of curiosity, has CU has alot of eligibility issues because of it's practices? The reason I ask is because during this past summer I saw about 4 highly recruited players still struggling to become eligible for USC. It could be a pay me now or pay me later but you will have to pay me situation. I know there needs to be a balance but if there is a struggle now with a JUCO player that I'm sure went to JUCO to become eligible.....doesn't that send up a flag? I know there are ALOT of great players that go the JUCO route and may be just because they weren't seen and didn't get recruited. Shouldn't those be the players CU wants?

Funny thing about this one and with Ceach (Alexandru).........I was there at the OV in which the coaches spent ALOT of time with both recruits. That was Dec 2nd. Today is the 23rd. Was he expecting more or felt like he was a high recruit and needed more attention? It could be just that since these other schools were coming after him, it was time for CU to "do more"........and if the attention wasn't there the way he wanted, he moved on. We rode with him from the airport and I remember him asking our host assistant whether the coaches allowed the players to snowboard in the offseason. Different priorities for different kids. I just laughed.

Just out of curiosity, has CU has alot of eligibility issues because of it's practices? The reason I ask is because during this past summer I saw about 4 highly recruited players still struggling to become eligible for USC. It could be a pay me now or pay me later but you will have to pay me situation. I know there needs to be a balance but if there is a struggle now with a JUCO player that I'm sure went to JUCO to become eligible.....doesn't that send up a flag? I know there are ALOT of great players that go the JUCO route and may be just because they weren't seen and didn't get recruited. Shouldn't those be the players CU wants?

CU has historically had a challenging time getting JUCOs admitted. Many schools will accept PE credits. CU does not. There are other issues as well. It's constantly a challenge getting JUCOs admitted to CU.

I don't think so, moett. The staff is recruiting JCs this year because of the holes and lack of depth, but long-term, I don't think it will be an area of emphasis. This staff wants to get kids in here and have four or five years with them. I think they want that time to not only build them as players, but as men. Also, if it is true the staff stopped recruiting Breslin (and that is a big if), it demonstrates the staff is just not really going to go after JCs.

[edit] I should add that CU in the past has add an extraordinary amount of JUCO eligibility issues, but that has apparently been cleaned up for the most part. It will always be harder for CU to get a JUCO in, than say, KSU, but according to posters here things are much easier admission-wise than they used to be.

Last edited:
CU has historically had a challenging time getting JUCOs admitted. Many schools will accept PE credits. CU does not. There are other issues as well. It's constantly a challenge getting JUCOs admitted to CU.

Gotcha........gotcha. But with this the requirements don't seem to be any different than what they are asking from the high school kids.

I don't think so, moett. The staff is recruiting JCs this year because of the holes and lack of depth, but long-term, I don't think it will be an area of emphasis. This staff wants to get kids in here and have four or five years with them. I think they want that time to not only build them as players, but as men. Also, if it is true the staff stopped recruiting Breslin (and that is a big if), it demonstrates the staff is just not really going to go after JCs.

Makes sense.

Funny thing about this one and with Ceach (Alexandru).........I was there at the OV in which the coaches spent ALOT of time with both recruits. That was Dec 2nd. Today is the 23rd. Was he expecting more or felt like he was a high recruit and needed more attention? It could be just that since these other schools were coming after him, it was time for CU to "do more"........and if the attention wasn't there the way he wanted, he moved on. We rode with him from the airport and I remember him asking our host assistant whether the coaches allowed the players to snowboard in the offseason. Different priorities for different kids. I just laughed.
The problem is often not with Juco's passing classes. The problem is that Juco's often take classes CU won't accept. My theory is that the coaches really wanted Ceach, so they brought him in to try and sell him despite the fact that they had to know many of his credits and grades wouldn't transfer. Basically, to get in to CU, he needed to take 12 credits of classes (a whole semester). We tried to sell him on getting that done, but jUUco (and, apparently, UCLA) don't have those requirements and so he took the easier road that (more i mportantly, imho) gets him on campus sooner.

Gotcha........gotcha. But with this the requirements don't seem to be any different than what they are asking from the high school kids.

Well, sorta. A high school kid still needs to have a halfway decent GPA and test scores. He can't simply be a high school graduate. At a lot of colleges, if you have your Juco associates degree, you're good to go for admission. Not so at CU.

Its all a transferable credit issue yes? CU doesnt honor some juco credits, that the 411 pretty much? Sorry Snow, didnt realize u hit on that.

OK... I was going to be totally SHOCKED if we got this guy in the first place. JUCO guys already know that they'll get playing time. So top priority is getting in a program that can get them to the NFL, followed by going to a competitive team.

I could see us getting high school kids on the rebuilding and playing time platform, but not JUCO guys. Certainly not ones that USC also wants. BTW, it is not worth it long term to go after JUCO guys who's best offer is Utah.

OK... I was going to be totally SHOCKED if we got this guy in the first place. JUCO guys already know that they'll get playing time. So top priority is getting in a program that can get them to the NFL, followed by going to a competitive team.

I could see us getting high school kids on the rebuilding and playing time platform, but not JUCO guys. Certainly not ones that USC also wants. BTW, it is not worth it long term to go after JUCO guys who's best offer is Utah.
Depends, film will tell you what ya need to know. I didnt know Breslin was even being looked at by USC much until he committed. We should go after our type of jucos, a few, every year. They usually can make an impact right away and do have some college experience. A few are worth the risk imho.

Depends, film will tell you what ya need to know. I didnt know Breslin was even being looked at by USC much until he committed. We should go after our type of jucos, a few, every year. They usually can make an impact right away and do have some college experience. A few are worth the risk imho.

I get your point. But given the choice between putting resources in a 4 star JUCO DE like Breslin or a 3 star DE like Jagne, I'll take Jagne all day long. For the better of the Buffs.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say his best offer was not Utah. He had multiple PAC offers plus at least one Big 10 offer. I'm also assuming that if USC offered him he has some talent so let's not go down that road.

I do agree that you don't rebuild a program with Jucos. If you can get a kid who can come in and fill a specific need for a couple of years while you develop other longer term answers then if may make sense. If the coaches didn't think that this kid could help the team and the program they wouldn't have offered in the first place.

I also can see us not getting a great return for investment on time spent recruiting juco kids overall. The admission issues have already been discussed at length. You also get a kid who is likely to have a kind of a mercinary attitude, looking at his accomplishments as being more important than the teams accomplishments.

The other issue is that while jucos are physically more mature and you did get a chance to see them play against other juco players which is a major step up from HS, there is still no guarantee that they will be good players at the FBS level. There are plenty of cases of highly rated juco players that were bust and others who took a while to adapt and so for all that effort you get one or less quality seasons out of them and they are gone.

Breslin probably would have helped but between admission issues and a USC offer I don't think that our coaches paying him lots of continued attention would have made a big difference.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say his best offer was not Utah. He had multiple PAC offers plus at least one Big 10 offer. I'm also assuming that if USC offered him he has some talent so let's not go down that road.

I do agree that you don't rebuild a program with Jucos. If you can get a kid who can come in and fill a specific need for a couple of years while you develop other longer term answers then if may make sense. If the coaches didn't think that this kid could help the team and the program they wouldn't have offered in the first place.

I also can see us not getting a great return for investment on time spent recruiting juco kids overall. The admission issues have already been discussed at length. You also get a kid who is likely to have a kind of a mercinary attitude, looking at his accomplishments as being more important than the teams accomplishments.

The other issue is that while jucos are physically more mature and you did get a chance to see them play against other juco players which is a major step up from HS, there is still no guarantee that they will be good players at the FBS level. There are plenty of cases of highly rated juco players that were bust and others who took a while to adapt and so for all that effort you get one or less quality seasons out of them and they are gone.

Breslin probably would have helped but between admission issues and a USC offer I don't think that our coaches paying him lots of continued attention would have made a big difference.

My bad for not pointing out that I was just making a point about a random JUCO who's best offer was Utah. I wasn't referencing Breslin there. I agree that the ROI is horrible going after JUCO players at CU. Let's not pretend that we can get them. Let's accept it and move on.

My bad for not pointing out that I was just making a point about a random JUCO who's best offer was Utah. I wasn't referencing Breslin there. I agree that the ROI is horrible going after JUCO players at CU. Let's not pretend that we can get them. Let's accept it and move on.

We have had a few over the years that were good players for us and I wouldn't cut the idea off entirely. In certain circumstances I can see us going after 1 or 2 in certain years. That said our efforts are better spent on HS kids in most cases.

We have had a few over the years that were good players for us and I wouldn't cut the idea off entirely. In certain circumstances I can see us going after 1 or 2 in certain years. That said our efforts are better spent on HS kids in most cases.

The ONLY JUCO guys I'd like to see us get would be 4 star or a highly recruited 3 star guy. The problem is that we will not get those guys until this staff gets some serious wins and so we're hopefully a couple years away from getting those JUCO guys I'd like.

A four year productive player is always best but will he produce from day 1? Breslin was gonna have one job, get to the qb. Hopefully Jagne can do that and early. Thats why I say, look at a few jucos, not all freshman can play early. We need impact guys now, gotta win this season.

[video=youtube;E_bx6B3dBMM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_bx6B3dBMM[/video]

BuffLuke... Really? For all those of you who think that CU can actually get IMPACT JUCO athletes into this program in its current state, wish in one hand... But for now, let's get back to reality please!

The ONLY JUCO guys I'd like to see us get would be 4 star or a highly recruited 3 star guy. The problem is that we will not get those guys until this staff gets some serious wins and so we're hopefully a couple years away from getting those JUCO guys I'd like.

There are other times when a juco can really help out. If due to unforseen circumstances you are short in depth at a certain spot on the field a juco can bring in a guy who has the maturity to help right away. I don't want to give up a season because I lost 3-4 offensive guards when I can pick up a juco who will fit in better than playing a freshman. Same thing if I find a juco who can fit into the team at another position for which some maturity can and will make a difference.

Sometimes it makes sense just to have a solid backup. Lots of top teams have brought in a juco to be a backup QB allowing them to develop their young guys without pressing them into service before they are ready.

BuffLuke... Really? For all those of you who think that CU can actually get IMPACT JUCO athletes into this program in its current state, wish in one hand... But for now, let's get back to reality please!
Ok point taken. We should still look at Jucos, we have alot of holes. Reality is Jagne is a 4 star talent and hope hes ready this year. Alot of freshmen gotta play this year ready or not, thats why I mentioned jucos, not because i want CU to be utah or kjuco.

Plus, it isnt the fact we cant get them, getting them into school is the issue. We shouldnt stop looking because its hard to get them in, we need to win. CU isnt crap history wise, one of the better programs there is. U sell what it is, has, and has done and its not a bad spot to come.

He is flat out dominating for USC, has 5 sacks and 9.5 tackles for losses this season.

Back