What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 JC DT Visesio Salt (Signed to Utah)

Not for admissions. Where it matters is whether he has enough coursework that can be used to fulfill the eligibility requirements of being on a path to finish a major within 5 years.

I thought Shaun Mohler (sp?) had to work his butt off not just to graduate but to add classes because some course work that qualifies for JC graduation doesn't transfer. Is that what you meant? And doesn't that then affect admissions?

I thought Shaun Mohler (sp?) had to work his butt off not just to graduate but to add classes because some course work that qualifies for JC graduation doesn't transfer. Is that what you meant? And doesn't that then affect admissions?

We have some others who could answer that better.

The things I do know for certain are:

1) A JC degree eliminates any qualifying concerns from the NCAA Clearinghouse.
2) A JC degree may include coursework that would not transfer into CU (D grades, PE courses, General Studies courses, etc.).
3) The NCAA requires that all athletes must be making stipulated progress toward a degree in order to be eligible to play (including selection of a major after the 2nd year).

Given that it's a 3rd year student, he needs to be accepted into a CU degree program and I think the issue is that some don't have the credits to meet minimum requirements.

We have some others who could answer that better.

The things I do know for certain are:

1) A JC degree eliminates any qualifying concerns from the NCAA Clearinghouse.
2) A JC degree may include coursework that would not transfer into CU (D grades, PE courses, General Studies courses, etc.).
3) The NCAA requires that all athletes must be making stipulated progress toward a degree in order to be eligible to play (including selection of a major after the 2nd year).

Given that it's a 3rd year student, he needs to be accepted into a CU degree program and I think the issue is that some don't have the credits to meet minimum requirements.

I've got some insight here due two friends who are working for CU in volunteer positions helping with paperwork.

The whole idea that CU can't admit JC kids and shouldn't waste their time is really OLD news.

CU has some special requirements that other schools generally don't have, but if the AD understands these, and works with admissions, there is no MYSTERY.

During Tharp's years (the scandal) the AD and Admissions were not working together.  Hawk learned this the hard way (with a certain RB). Bohn got it fixed.

The last several years, Admissions has been able to work with the AD early and often to identify what the kid will need to get into school and make it happen. It's been 100% I believe. We got Simmons in when no one thought he could get in.

As outlined earlier, JC kids are typically focused on becoming NCAA eligible, which is covered by Buffnik's summary above. They need to graduate and be on track for a degree in 5 years. That gets you into KSU and most places. CU doesn't have a PE major, nor some other flaky majors, and has some other minimum academic requirements. A lot of schools also have these, CU isn't alone.

It's just a matter of having the admin staff get on it early, check it out for Embree by working with admissions and there should be no mystery.

This formula has worked great the last 4 years and we've gone 100% I think on the JC kids.

The idea we can't get JC guys in is old news. Old like, CU has a girl kicker old. CU has to be more selective than KSU but we are not alone here. Embree must identify a group of players that he wants and then the Admin staff starts the process of screening their situation and ultimately working with Admissions.

If a kid is hearing a lot from CU, he's probably well into the process of having everything checked out and CU is pretty confident he can get in. If the kid is scheduling a trip to CU, this is not an issue. He's been screened and he can get in with high confidence.

'holic may be on to something. Just for a historical perspective, here's who Rivals and Scout list as JC commits to the Buffs since 2002 (s - Scout, r - Rivals):

Clint Werth (s,r)
Gabe Nyenhuis (r)

McKenzie Tilmon (s,r) *
John Guydon (s,r)

Abraham Wright (s,r)

Terry Washington (s,r) *
Chris Todd (s,r) *
Bryce MacMartin (s,r)
Alvin Barnett (s,r)

Thomas Perez (s,r) *
Erick Faatagi (s)

Chris Perri (s,r)
Nick Nelson (s,r)
Drew Hudgins (s,r)
P.T. Gates (s,r) *

Shaun Mohler (s,r)

Andre Simmons (s,r)

Eric Richter (s,r)
Evan Harrington (s,r)

Brent Burnette (s,r)

2008 -2011 were all hits. Past history shows about half the jc's getting into CU.

Seems like a good portion of CU JC recruits before 2007 from were either: buried on the depth chart, didn't play, kicked off the team or became ineligible.

Not sure what I'm getting at; just thought it was an interesting trend.

Gabe Nyenhuis and Abe Wright were very solid players for the buffs before 07. Guydon and Tilmon contributed. Werth would've been good but he never recovered from a bad shoulder injury (iirc). Hawkins whiffed on his juco, especially in 2007.

Gabe Nyenhuis and Abe Wright were very solid players for the buffs before 07. Guydon and Tilmon contributed. Werth would've been good but he never recovered from a bad shoulder injury (iirc). Hawkins whiffed on his juco, especially in 2007.

Agreed. Gabe and Abe were solid.

I missed a note on my post about the jc's -- the * indicates the ones that never made it into CU. Sorry.

It does appear that we're doing better getting jc players into CU. I have to imagine that there is a combination of factors that lead to this later (and better) trend. As some of you pointed out, some of the jc's come in and produce while others just seems to disappear.

Visiting Miami but does not hold an Miami offer and says he's looking for good academics and a program that can take him to the next level.

Rivals

This is weird but I had a dream I was on the same plane as him flying to Colorado.

Utah continues to prove they are the KjSU of the Pac 12 when it comes to Jucos.

Back