What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

12 Pac Title Game Should be in Las Vegas

I think a good idea that I've seen floated around is to have it at the highest ranked (by conference record) team's home stadium. Yes, it would mean home field advantage, but it would also guarantee to be a sell-out anywhere, making the atmosphere much better than at some neutral site NFL stadium. If the two teams have identical conference record, then a tie-breaker could be BCS standing or something.

Just a thought.

Yes, I'm seeing that being floated too. I think with what I've seen from the ACC championship "neutral" site, it might be good for the Pac 12 to hold their championship games at a home site. Or maybe change each year from North/South winner hosting it regardless of record.

Vegas is perfect. lots of cheap flights, tons of hotel rooms and pretty central.

Vegas is perfect. lots of cheap flights, tons of hotel rooms and pretty central.

With a crappy high-school-ish stadium.

Honestly, if they could add 20,000 seats to the stadium and make some other upgrades, this would be a great idea.

Las Vegas sucks. It should be in Cali, if it has to be a fixed spot. Or it should rotate through the many NFL stadiums in the conference.

Couldn't agree more about Vegas and I live here. The stadium is a ***** hole. I don't see them expanding it and don't think they should. UNLV games are half empty as it is. What's it going to look like if it's even bigger? UNLV isn't going to want to play in an even bigger stadium they have no chance of filling. Rotate it around the PAC. Lots of great choices, but Vegas isn't one of them.

I like the highest ranked team gets the game idea. Keeps the money in the PAC 10+2 cities as well.

San Diego also works :smile2:

The L.A. Coliseum...it's big, it's grand, it oozes tradition and you get to go home and tell stories of how you survived.

And what does Vegas have to do with the Pacific Athletic Conference? Nothing.

The L.A. Coliseum...it's big, it's grand, it oozes tradition and you get to go home and tell stories of how you survived.

What does Kansas City, St. Louis, Dallas, Houston and San Antonio have to do with the old Big 12?

If they do it (which I doubt) it would be as an accommodation to the distance driven and the attractiveness of the destination.
I'm not a big fan of Los Angeles, but the Colisseum wouldn't be a horrible place, so long as the location gets moved around a bit. I'd like to see Denver host the game every once in a while.

I think the University of Phoenix Stadium would be a great place. The great thing about Phoenix is that there are a lot of old people there, so I'd feel right at home. Plus, lots of inexpensive flights. Nice weather and golf courses. It is driveable for most of us, well, except for the North division schools. But **** them.

Probably won't happen, but I'd love to see every team play one conference game in Vegas every season.

Think about it, if we play 9 conference games that means half the conference gets 5 home games while the other half only gets 4. You could play 4 at home, 4 on the road, and 1 in Vegas every year. It would be on the schedule every year, so you could plan ahead for your road trip, and you could justify upgrading the stadium if there were 6 Pac 10 games played there every year. You could market the **** out of it - play it on a friday night, so you'd have a Pac 10 friday night game of the week every couple weeks from Vegas. TV would love it, and I think it would be well attended. It would be great for recruiting too.

Why the hell not...would be a lot of fun!

I think the University of Phoenix Stadium would be a great place. The great thing about Phoenix is that there are a lot of old people there, so I'd feel right at home. Plus, lots of inexpensive flights. Nice weather and golf courses. It is driveable for most of us, well, except for the North division schools. But **** them.
University of Phoenix has a team? Is it a virtual team? Which of the 40 bazillion campuses is it at?:smile2:

University of Phoenix has a team? Is it a virtual team? Which of the 40 bazillion campuses is it at?:smile2:
Yuk yuk! :lol:

cardinal_stadium.jpg

By putting the game in Las Vegas, it accomplishes a # of goals. First, it ensures that what happens with ACC game will NOT happen with 12Pac game -- it ensures a great turnout. Second, it captures the Las Vegas market, which is the largest non-Pac market in the Western USA. Third, it avoids the unfair situation of having a participant host the championship game. Fourth, it's cheap to get to. Fifth, it's Vegas!!!!!!

Problem is that Boyd Stadium is a bit of a dump. It can be updated/remodeled, though, and the setting would make the 12 Pac championship instantly stand out from the crowd.

Make it happen, Larry Scott.
God no! Have you ever attended a game at Sam Boyd Stadium? It's a hovel. Dirt parking lot. Flimsy rickety structure. They do, however, have a full service bar every 15 feet in the concourse. It's truly a shithole.

God no! Have you ever attended a game at Sam Boyd Stadium? It's a hovel. Dirt parking lot. Flimsy rickety structure. They do, however, have a full service bar every 15 feet in the concourse. It's truly a shithole.

We're just looking for fun places to go and see our team play. Remember we've been going (or avoiding, I should say) such garden spots as Lubbock, Waco, Norman and Manhattan... No, not THAT Manhattan. I'm talking about the one in the middle of Kansas. We're dying for decent roadies. The game is secondary to the experience - which is a good thing, because our football team sucks right now. Don't ask about the contradiction of talking about attending the Pac 12 CCG in Las Vegas when our team sucks - we're dreamers. It's what we do. Outside of New Orleans, I can't think of too many places that are more purely entertaining than Las Vegas.

I know you guys want to go to Vegas and all, but this is just a stupid idea. The Rose Bowl is a no brainer pretty much. Besides if CU makes it to the CCG you can always stop at Vegas on the way there. I remember the week before the Rose Bowl in 2001 after we beat NU. Vegas was FULL of tons of NU fans that weekend and I made sure every one of them saw my Bedlam in Boulder T-shirt with the score all over the back! Point is, Vegas is a horrible spot for a football game like that and Vegas is on the way to SoCal so what is the difference?

The Las Vegas visitors & convention bureau is always looking for ways to bring people into that city. If they have the cash, they'll build their own stadium, just off the strip. In fact, they should do that anyway. UNLV is only a mile or so from the Strip to begin with. It would be smarter for them to move their stadium closer to their campus. Build a 60,000 seat stadium where the Bali Hi Golf Club is right now, lease it out to UNLV for their home games, host the Pac 12 CCG every couple years, and host a bowl game. Maybe get an MLS team to play there, and have concerts there (might be a problem with airport noise, but who cares?).

I'm liking this idea more and more.

The Las Vegas visitors & convention bureau is always looking for ways to bring people into that city. If they have the cash, they'll build their own stadium, just off the strip. In fact, they should do that anyway. UNLV is only a mile or so from the Strip to begin with. It would be smarter for them to move their stadium closer to their campus. Build a 60,000 seat stadium where the Bali Hi Golf Club is right now, lease it out to UNLV for their home games, host the Pac 12 CCG every couple years, and host a bowl game. Maybe get an MLS team to play there, and have concerts there (might be a problem with airport noise, but who cares?).

Getting any pro team in Vegas is a longshot, the leagues are all leary with gambling and the risks of point shaving, fixes, etc.

Getting any pro team in Vegas is a longshot, the leagues are all leary with gambling and the risks of point shaving, fixes, etc.

Do people actually bet on MLS?

I think the way to deal with this issue is to not allow any betting on any team based in Las Vegas.

Do they allow betting on the Las Vegas Bowl?

I think the way to deal with this issue is to not allow any betting on any team based in Las Vegas.

Hell yes, people bet on flea jumping in Vegas. Not sure about the LV bowl or if the sports books take bets on UNLV games.

I think the issue with the MLS might be more with the season running through the summer. Even for night games you're looking at temps around 100 degrees. The players might survive, but getting fans to sit out in it wouldn't be easy.

Harrah's had plans on the table for an indoor arena to be built behind some of their mid-strip properties (they own the land behind Paris, Bally's, Flamingo, Harrah's - that whole area). Would have been big enough to take a serious look at bringing NHL or NBA teams to Vegas. I think they had to put it on the shelf because of the economy. Building a major football facility would be an enormous investment for somebody...

The way to do it would be an indoor multi-purpose arena like the Carrier Dome in Syracuse (conceptually - that place is a shathole). That way, Vegas could host anything and weather wouldn't matter. Seating is right around 50k for football, 35k for basketball, and 55k for concerts. Perfect for Vegas.

:lol:

I attended a CU v. USC game there once. I drove into the neighborhood where locals were apparently charging for public parking. Okay--it's not my town, who am I to argue.

So I pull up to a bunch of tough looking folks who are directing parking, and I see one spot, and only one spot. I asked, "how much for parking?". Dude looks at me and says, either ten dollars or twenty dollars. "

"But there's only one spot!"

"yep".

"Well what's the difference in price?"

"The difference is, you don't want the ten dollar parking".

"Here's a twenty..."

Harrah's is 1/3rd of the way there. They need to think just a little bigger.

Harrah's is 1/3rd of the way there. They need to think just a little bigger.

Projected to open in 2010, the venue will also feature private "hospitality centers," luxury suites, club seats and an array of amenities, gourmet food offerings and entertainment options to make every guest's experience memorable and world-class.

They put it on hold. They haven't even broken ground yet, and may never actually build it. Somebody :smile2: mentioned this upthread...

I think a good idea that I've seen floated around is to have it at the highest ranked (by conference record) team's home stadium. Yes, it would mean home field advantage, but it would also guarantee to be a sell-out anywhere, making the atmosphere much better than at some neutral site NFL stadium. If the two teams have identical conference record, then a tie-breaker could be BCS standing or something.

Just a thought.

This has my vote. Like a one-game playoff in baseball to decide a tie in the division. I like it. I think the better division-winner should have this advantage. Plus, it would be unique to the Pac-12 in the major conferences and align well with the Pac's mindset to do things in a way best for them. I'm sure the TV money would still come via sponsorships and the like.

Back