What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'13 AZ WR Elroy Masters (Verbal to CSU)

Problem is Masters is another McCulloch (seemingly) and we need speed, not more possession receivers.

And that part I won't disagree with. Even if it means taking some risk on development since the top prospects are giving us much of a look we need to bring some guys in who have the potential to develop into big play guys, game changers. We have to get some guys who bring speed and who can make guys miss in the open field. At this point other than a healthy PRich we don't have anybody who causes opposing D-coordinators to lose sleep or consider altering their standard defensive sets.

'13 AZ WR Elroy Masters

And that part I won't disagree with. Even if it means taking some risk on development since the top prospects are giving us much of a look we need to bring some guys in who have the potential to develop into big play guys, game changers. We have to get some guys who bring speed and who can make guys miss in the open field. At this point other than a healthy PRich we don't have anybody who causes opposing D-coordinators to lose sleep or consider altering their standard defensive sets.

Bingo. GT will be a good complement to PRich but that's it. Recruit athletes with speed and coach them up, seems to be about all we can do until we can improve on the field.

McCullough was actually a pretty decent find by Embree that late in the recruiting cycle. In a program that wasn't completely void of WR depth he would be a really good number 4 WR right now and we could have used him as a specialty 3rd down possession WR early in his career.

Instead he was forced into trying to be the number 2 WR way to soon. He looks like he could develop into a good blocking WR too.

No.....Masters actually has offers.

This. He has a lot of offers (SDSU, Nevada, UNM, WYO and CSU from Mtn West) . I'd be happy to get him if we're losing one of our other WR's. Isn't Bobo's only other offer from Idaho?

Last edited:
'13 AZ WR Elroy Masters

This. He has a lot of offers. I'd be happy to get him if we're losing one of our other WR's. Isn't Bobo's only other offer from Idaho?

And how many of those are from BCS schools? None.

Other than Ross (who may be dropping us), he has more offers than all our other WR commits combined. His tape is legit (and much better than Bobo's and Dunston's). Regardless of the talent he's going against, he's making great catches, showing great athletic ability and decent speed to go along with his 6'3/200 frame. Obviously HCMM likes him too, and I'm going to trust his judgement over yours.

'13 AZ WR Elroy Masters

Other than Ross (who may be dropping us), he has more offers than all our other WR commits combined. His tape is legit (and much better than Bobo's and Dunston's). Regardless of the talent he's going against, he's making great catches, showing great athletic ability and decent speed to go along with his 6'3/200 frame. Obviously HCMM likes him too, and I'm going to trust his judgement over yours.

I don't care if he has 50 non-BCS offers, we need BCS offers. This whole class is made up of kids without them yet people bitch about the lack of talent? We need guys who can stretch the field, not more possession receivers.

And no, his tape is not better than Bobo's and I do not see your love affair with his speed because its not there.

That's a different argument.

My point was McCulluch had no offers and we offered him after signing day. Masters has offers and is obviously more highly regarded at the same stage of their careers.

But do we need more WRs with BCS offers? Yes.

'13 AZ WR Elroy Masters

That's a different argument.

My point was McCulluch had no offers and we offered him after signing day. Masters has offers and is obviously more highly regarded at the same stage of their careers.

But do we need more WRs with BCS offers? Yes.

McCulloch missed his whole senior year so it's not close to a one to one comparison.

We need an infusion of WR talent. The best we can get. Everyone recognizes that by watching one series of football.

SJSU had several WRs on the field yesterday that were BCS like talent imo. There are BCS caliber players at lots of schools. We need those guys.

If HCMM thinks this kid is a player who can help us, and wants to offer, I couldn't care how many BCS offers he has. This kid has more offers from places who've done a pretty good job of scouting WR talent than about any kid we've seen in a while. Certainly better than the kid with one other offer (Idaho) which (since they fired their coach) may not even be a valid offer. Talk about a red flag. Maybe he's a diamond in the rough, but maybe he's going to be a bust.

This kid's offer list is like Spruce's was. Would love it if we had some guys with other BCS offers, but not sure we'd pull those kids right now. The reality of this class is that HCMM doesn't come with big cache and it will take a decent year of on-field progress before we can go against anyone but Utah and Washington State for recruits.

In the meantime, there's a lot of good players with UNM, Fresno State, Boise State, Nevada... offers that would help this team get better and allow us to start the rebuilding process.

'13 AZ WR Elroy Masters

If we are going to get kids without BCS offers they better have speed. If you can't, bank them for next year.

When I mentioned it being a head scratcher earlier in the thread, it was for a couple reasons:

1. How many WRs are we actually bringing in this class? Let's say Ross ends up a Buff, as well as Bobo and Dunston. Assume as well that Jeff Thomas and Peyton Williams enroll in January as originally planned. Can we really justify six WRs as true freshmen next season? Especially when it is not entirely clear that more than one or two would be candidates for position changes? Class balance at so many different positions is killing this team.

2. We can debate for hours the differences in their games, but I am not seeing much difference between Thomas, Bobo, and Masters, other than Masters being bigger. Just seems odd to take all three in one class.

The offers are secondary to me in this instance. I understand we just need talent at pretty much every position, but at some point, we also need to stop throwing numbers at problems. We are setting up a roster with lots of "empty" classes at various positions and that is a recipe for struggles down the road.

I like this guy. Looks plenty fast and his size will help with down field blocking + when he catches a pass in space, he will be a hard guy to bring down with one defender. sign him

When I mentioned it being a head scratcher earlier in the thread, it was for a couple reasons:

1. How many WRs are we actually bringing in this class? Let's say Ross ends up a Buff, as well as Bobo and Dunston. Assume as well that Jeff Thomas and Peyton Williams enroll in January as originally planned. Can we really justify six WRs as true freshmen next season? Especially when it is not entirely clear that more than one or two would be candidates for position changes? Class balance at so many different positions is killing this team.

2. We can debate for hours the differences in their games, but I am not seeing much difference between Thomas, Bobo, and Masters, other than Masters being bigger. Just seems odd to take all three in one class.

The offers are secondary to me in this instance. I understand we just need talent at pretty much every position, but at some point, we also need to stop throwing numbers at problems. We are setting up a roster with lots of "empty" classes at various positions and that is a recipe for struggles down the road.

CU is probably going to have to win with 2 and 3 stars. The four stars and up are not going to be lining up to come to CU regardless of the coach. Lets hope Mac has a better eye for talent.

CU is probably going to have to win with 2 and 3 stars. The four stars and up are not going to be lining up to come to CU regardless of the coach. Lets hope Mac has a better eye for talent.

We have to give the better potential players reason to believe. We have got to win the games we should win. Win 6 and get any kind of bowl game and you can start talking to guys we aren't getting now. Losing to Sac State and getting killed by Fresno doesn't do us much good in recruiting.

I would take a WR who runs good routes and has good hands over a WR with speed as his only asset (we've had plenty of those! Canty for example). I will be really hard to land a WR who has both this year. I think people like Tini are only focused on us needing elite burners to contend in the Pac 12. I agree that we'll need a couple of those types, don't base your opinions over the last two years. Our inept coaches only worked to make our talent look worse than it is. Our offense was so poorly run that nobody had a chance to be open. There was no inventive routes being drawn up and no adjustments to defense being made. EB's offense was a joke. I think this new offense will make our WR's and QB's lives much easier. I'm sure HCMM and OC Lindgren will find inventive ways to get the ball in the hands of PRich and GT. We'll be fine.

'13 AZ WR Elroy Masters

No I'm not focusing on getting elite speed. I'm focused on getting our WR unit to not be the slowest in the PAC 12.

Duff also brings up a great point regarding Masters being like Bobo and JT.

The other part of balance is he is playing 3-4 WR's and even 5 at times. TE's & RB's - one each per play, sometimes less.

If you look at it that way, you may desire a depth chart that looks more like 4 WR's, 1 TE's, 1 RB's and a Power RB/FB / H-Back type (for example only). Not sure exactly what that looks like, but I think it looks WAY DIFFERENT than the depth chart we were building towards utilizing are very unPro-Style offensive system of the last 2 years.

Our WR depth chart at this point looks like Spruce, McC, PRich, G. Thomas. I don't think Kennedy wanted anyone else on the field. Still, I don't see him taking 2 grey's plus 4 incoming true Frosh unless he has concerns with some of these guys (their talent or their ability to stick to their commitment, grades, whatever).

I'd bet he just likes Masters a lot and is willing to solve the numbers problems sometime down the road.

A couple other things to think about. G. Thomas was unreliable as a receiver this year. Giving him a pass as he was a true frosh, but paint me as concerned. PRich could have a 1 and done type of season (unlikely, but I do believe PRich would like to put himself in that position if it's possible).

Last edited:
Just peeked at this youtube video (probably posted above but I'm too lazy to look for it). I must say, I like this kid a lot. He's bigger/stronger than any WR we have right now and I think he shows pretty good football speed.

Just peeked at this youtube video (probably posted above but I'm too lazy to look for it). I must say, I like this kid a lot. He's bigger/stronger than any WR we have right now and I think he shows pretty good football speed.
you are to lazy to do this?

[video=youtube;6Zhz1eWc8B0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zhz1eWc8B0[/video]

"We had a good time and we talked a lot. He told me a lot about Colorado State. Another thing I liked is it's a college town and that's one thing I'm really looking for. You definitely get the feel that the football team is appreciated and it doesn't really get lost in a big city. Fort Collins is not a small city, but it has everything you need. It definitely is a college town and I definitely got that vibe," Masters explained.
:lol:

http://buzztap.com/link.jsp?id=2091...eed&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Looks like CSU is in the lead though.

would appear we are full now at WR with the affirmed commits of Ross, Bobo, and Dunston.

Might still want to bring in one more if they think he's exceptional I suppose. A few of the above commits are going to play right away (hopefully) and that would build in seperation.

Maybe he thinks CU has no talent at WR and needs to get a lot of bodies in there. I know I thought that all season long.
It was hard to gauge the WR talent because the QBs were so horrible last year. Seems ours is okay, but need more if we're gonna compete in the wild, wild west.

If you are basing your judgement on the lack of CU offer, consider that we have 3 WR's committed that Embree offered, in which the two "big guys" have a questionable offer list combined. San Jose State offered this kid, but not the 3 we are taking.

If you look at offers outside of CU:

Bobo - Idaho
Dunston - Fresno St, Nevada, NMSU, Wyoming

CSU's kid:
Air Force, Army, Colorado State, Hawaii, Navy, Nevada, New Mexico, NMSU, San Jose State, UNLV, Wyoming (to name most)

P.S. I have a good friend who is somebody in the AZ Prep scene who happens to think very highly of this Masters kid in every way. He played at NAU, so he has no ties to either CU or CSU. Thinks this kid is a huge pickup and his opinion on this matter scares me. Also thinks HCMM would have taken him if there was room.... FWIW

I can't say that I am all that thrilled about the WR's we currently have committed either. I at least thought Ross was going to be fast until I read he runs almost a 4.7 40. I think Bobo and Dunston our projects. Hope coach can turn them into players down the road. I don't see either one helping out early.

Back