What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'13 CA CB Derek Babiash (Verbal to Arizona)

Hmm, makes me wonder if he did de-commit or if Udub dropped him for some reason? Odd.

He de-committed.

Nothing wrong with that, and I find it applaudable.

UW is still very much in the mix, but he will take all of his official visits....

UW did not drop him, he's still high on their board...

He de-committed.

Nothing wrong with that, and I find it applaudable.

UW is still very much in the mix, but he will take all of his official visits....

UW did not drop him, he's still high on their board...
Where'd you read that UW is still in the mix? Didn't really get that impression.

Where'd you read that UW is still in the mix? Didn't really get that impression.

He himself has been quoted as still liking UW in his interviews for Scout. He's never stated he is no longer interested in UW, merely just not committed...

He wants to take official visits and take time with his decision is what I'm gathering.

He himself has been quoted as still liking UW in his interviews for Scout. He's never stated he is no longer interested in UW, merely just not committed...

He wants to take official visits and take time with his decision is what I'm gathering.

Thanks

Greg Biggins tweeted the other day that he thinks UW and Babiash cooled on each other.

EDIT: small snippet from Scott Ecklund:

-- Poway (Ca.) CB Derek Babiash - according to those I've spoken to, UW has moved on and is no longer recruiting him. I was holding off on reporting the info (I got it last week), but Babiash dropped that in his latest update with Greg Biggins. According to the person I spoke to, UW has been pretty unhappy with how things have gone down with a couple of guys who committed early and then de-committed shortly thereafter to "see other schools". According to the person I spoke to, UW will only hold scholarships for a select few (see below), but apparently they feel comfortable with some of the other guys they are recruiting and they wanted to make a statement. Apparently they have.

Last edited:
Another quick commit. Why do I get the feeling he ultimately signs somewhere else?

Hopefully the coaches are all over this. Sit out this year and then we'd have an experienced and talented soph in the mix for 2015.

Any ideas why he's transferring?

Nobody seems to really know. There are suggestions that he didn't see eye to eye with the AZ staff, there might have been a request by coaches for a position change from CB to S, or he could have been recruited over with 5 DBs coming in. All were floated by Arizona fan, none with much evidence.

in any case, he played nine games as a true frosh, so he is probably pretty good as his 4* high school rating suggested.

If he was coming here, wouldn't it be better that he went to a JUCO first?

If he was coming here, wouldn't it be better that he went to a JUCO first?

If he played 9 games last year he still has his RS year. From our standpoint if he is that good I'd rather have him on our roster than risk him going to a JC, using up a year of eligibility, and being free to go elsewhere at the end of the year.

If he played 9 games last year he still has his RS year. From our standpoint if he is that good I'd rather have him on our roster than risk him going to a JC, using up a year of eligibility, and being free to go elsewhere at the end of the year.

I guess I mean better for him. Doesn't a player who transfers in conference have to sit out 2 years?

I think that was just a Big 12 rule.

Here's the rule, but I'm not exactly sure what it means.
Intra-Conference Transfer.

Each institution, before it permits a student who has transferred directly from another Conference member
institution to compete in intercollegiate athletics, shall require the student to fulfill a residence requirement
of one full academic year (two full semesters or three full quarters), and shall charge the student with one
year of eligibility in all Conference sports, and during the period of ineligibility shall not offer, provide, or
arrange directly or indirectly any athletically related financial aid. (12/79, 1/92, 8/98, 6/04)

http://compliance.pac-12.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/2013-14-Handbook.v3.pdf

Here's the English version from a CU "Transfer out checklist" :

*Pac-12 Intraconference Transfer Rule: sit a year, lose a year of eligibility and cannot receive financial aid (if recruited and received financial aid at CU)

In other words... transfer within the PAC12 is not likely to happen

Last edited:
Back