What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'13 CA PF Aaron Gordon (Verbal to Arizona)

Gordon has been a heavy Washington lean since Sophomore year nothing has changed on that end but if Washington has a bad year (and I mean under 500 bad) or Romar leaves to a NBA job the Cal/Arizona battle would be intense and close, Bird is all but a lock to end up at Cal and that has made Gordon more interested in the school, Colorado has no shot here.

Reactions: dio
Gordon has been a heavy Washington lean since Sophomore year nothing has changed on that end but if Washington has a bad year (and I mean under 500 bad) or Romar leaves to a NBA job the Cal/Arizona battle would be intense and close, Bird is all but a lock to end up at Cal and that has made Gordon more interested in the school, Colorado has no shot here.

You sure you know what's up these days with anyone? Are you a UW fan or AZ fan btw? Can't place you just yet...

You sure you know what's up these days with anyone? Are you a UW fan or AZ fan btw? Can't place you just yet...
I was wondering who he was a fan of as well. The name unbiased is pretty fitting. All us Arizona fans heard last year was that Kaleb Tarczewski was a lock for Kansas and sure enough Miller locked him up. I get the same feeling with this recruitment, it is slowly starting to seem he is up for grabs. I do agree though that how this season plays out will have a large roll in Gordon. If UW has a lackluster year and Arizona keeps all four bigs (Ashley, Chol, Tarc, and Jerret) where does he go? I don't see Gordon as a three. I just hope the kid doesn't end up at UK. We need to keep the west coast talent in the pac.

According to reports on Dawgman.com, both Aaron Gordon and Darin Johnson had a good time on their visit, taking in some paintball along the way, but neither pledged to UW. Johnson has already visited San Diego State and Oregon as well, and will take a final visit to Texas A&M next weekend before making a decision. Gordon is also considering Arizona, Oregon, Kentucky and Kansas. Cal could also be a darkhorse.

Actually, AZ is the least likely to get screwed going forward, given the hoopla around the situation.

Was really hoping Oregon or Washington got him, as Arizona without Gordon was hardly a lock to win the conference. With Gordon, have to be a big favorite now.

Was really hoping Oregon or Washington got him, as Arizona without Gordon was hardly a lock to win the conference. With Gordon, have to be a big favorite now.

I was the opposite. I want an ELITE team in the Pac-12 to get us national attention. As we saw this year, having 4-5 "good" teams doesn't do as much good as having one "great" team (look at the SEC). Plus, on a purely selfish level, it gives us better odds to finish second in the conference than if he were receiving alley oops from Artis in Oregon.

I was the opposite. I want an ELITE team in the Pac-12 to get us national attention. As we saw this year, having 4-5 "good" teams doesn't do as much good as having one "great" team (look at the SEC). Plus, on a purely selfish level, it gives us better odds to finish second in the conference than if he were receiving alley oops from Artis in Oregon.

This. I'd rather seperate from Washington and Oregon a little bit and this gives us a better chance to do that.

i'm with goose and mattrob. the pac needs an elite team, it helps the conferences profile and everybody's RPI.

I want the elite team to be us.

So do I. And I think the quickest way to get there is to see teams separate within the conference. Having 5 or 6 teams clustered at the top of the conference, dividing the top west coast talent and taking turns carrying the flag for the Pac12 doesn't get us (or anyone) where we want to be. If we can somehow emerge ahead of teams like Oregon and Washington and establish ourselves as the clear favorite in that 2nd tier behind UCLA and Arizona, we've got a lot better shot at continuing to raise the talent level in the program until we get the one or two difference makers to put us over the top.

I've talked to Pachoops about this a bit, but any concerns about him playing the 3?

I honestly don't feel too much concern with Aaron playing the 3. My main concern with him playing the 3 would be his ability to defend opposing 3's. I always thought that this upcoming season would be the year we would compete for a championship. I feel our best chances would be an Aaron + Rondae Jefferson duo at the 3. If AG struggles at the 3 it will be interesting to see what happens. That would create a huge logjam at the 4/5 position. You just have to hope all the talent falls correctly in place and works out.

I honestly don't feel too much concern with Aaron playing the 3. My main concern with him playing the 3 would be his ability to defend opposing 3's. I always thought that this upcoming season would be the year we would compete for a championship. I feel our best chances would be an Aaron + Rondae Jefferson duo at the 3. If AG struggles at the 3 it will be interesting to see what happens. That would create a huge logjam at the 4/5 position. You just have to hope all the talent falls correctly in place and works out.

Any concerns that Chol might transfer?

I have a little concern about Chol transferring. He is a high character player and provides much needed depth in the post. From what I hear though he loves the U of A, and if need be would be willing to redshirt. My biggest fear would be York transferring but I think he will get the minutes he wants this year. Assuming he doesn't transfer before then...

I have a little concern about Chol transferring. He is a high character player and provides much needed depth in the post. From what I hear though he loves the U of A, and if need be would be willing to redshirt. My biggest fear would be York transferring but I think he will get the minutes he wants this year. Assuming he doesn't transfer before then...

Some sources are hearing Chol is strongly considering redshirting, which would obviously be a win for Arizona. As for York, I don't see a transfer. He'd have to sit out next year, and by the following year he'd get plenty of minutes at UA anyway, so why go somewhere else.

It's going to be interesting to see how Miller divides the minutes. You guys are ridiculously stacked up front, and have slashers galore, but there are two things that would make me slightly nervous if I was an Arizona fan (and by slightly nervous, I mean "worried we might only reach the Elite 8 instead of the Final 4"):

* PG Play - I love McConnell, but who's backing him up? Can York get spot minutes here?
* Outside shooting - Who's going to provide it?

It's going to be interesting to see how Miller divides the minutes. You guys are ridiculously stacked up front, and have slashers galore, but there are two things that would make me slightly nervous if I was an Arizona fan (and by slightly nervous, I mean "worried we might only reach the Elite 8 instead of the Final 4"):

* PG Play - I love McConnell, but who's backing him up? Can York get spot minutes here?
* Outside shooting - Who's going to provide it?

I think you need to add the loss of Lyons and Hill. Those were some hard pieces to replace due to experience. Not only did they combine for nearly 30 points per game, and over 60 minutes, but when you needed a play to happen down the stretch it seems like it was one of those two that delivered. It might take a while for the team to overcome that loss, and they might struggle early in the season.

I think you need to add the loss of Lyons and Hill. Those were some hard pieces to replace due to experience. Not only did they combine for nearly 30 points per game, and over 60 minutes, but when you needed a play to happen down the stretch it seems like it was one of those two that delivered. It might take a while for the team to overcome that loss, and they might struggle early in the season.

Agreed 100% on Hill, but while I love Lyons, I think him leaving might be better for next year's team. With all of the talent theyr'e going to have up front, they need a dedicated PG who can get the ball to the big men and let them work - something Lyons had a tendency to struggle with to say the least. McConnell will fit the talent better next year than Lyons would have.

That said, you do bring up a good point - who's going to take the last second shots? I could see Nick Johnson stepping in to that role.

The biggest concern surrounding Arizona's 13-14 team will be its perimeter shooting. That said:

TJ McConnell (11-12 Duq): 43% 3P%
Nick Johnson (12-13 AZ): 39% 3P%
Grant Jerrett (12-13 AZ): 40% 3P%

Also note that Brandon Ashley shot 53% from the field on just 5 shots/game. Expect high shooting percentages as the creating McConnell gets the ball to 4 NBA-bound bigs in auspicious positions.

But the offense is the secondary strength of this team.

Defensively, Arizona can wreck havoc. They have unique size and athleticism at every position and by all accounts Rondae Hollis-Jefferson will help to set that tone. Between Johnson, McConnell, and Rondae, Arizona will be hell on the perimeter. My question will be the pick-and-roll progress the bigs make. I saw Brandon Ashley commit 64% of his fouls, 35 feet from the basket...

Back