What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'13 FL SG Chris Thomas (Signed with Chipola JC/Manhattan)

Eric Bossi:

Sources indicating that 2013 5 star Chris Thomas is out at South Kent. Perhaps going to end up at Evelyn Mack Academy in Charlotte.

Dave Telep:

If Chris Thomas left South Kent he's put himself in a position where most of elite schools won't recruit him. Issues must outweigh talent

Rashaan Gethers:

Five star 2013 guard Chris Thomas back in Colorado. Getting into more trouble. Time is running out...

And finally, Dave Telep has a great blog post summarizing all of this.

Chipola Junior College

Seems like it is pretty much a juco sports factory

From Wikipedia:

while the men's basketball program was once home to Auburn standout Chris Porter, Oklahoma State player Mario Boggan, Missouri's Stefhon Hannah, and Indiana's JaMarcus Ellis and DeAndre Thomas.

The men's basketball program has won more state basketball championships under one coach (7 for Milton H. Johnson) and in total (9) than any other junior-college basketball program in Florida, and in the 2003-04 and 2004-05 seasons finished fifth and third in the nation, respectively, and in 2005 received its first-ever No. 1 national ranking.

If anybody is wondering how he ever got admitted to a juco while he is a HS junior (which is probably everybody) i found this.

The High School Dual Enrollment and Early Admission Program, authorized under Florida Statute 1007.27, is a cooperative effort with Chipola College and Calhoun, Holmes, Jackson, Liberty, and Washington school districts and select private schools to provide enhanced learning opportunities for qualified high school students through effective use of college programs and resources.* The program allows qualified high school students the opportunity to enroll free of charge in college courses to earn both college credit and credit toward high school graduation.

A couple of the requirements he probaby got around b/c he is good at basketball b/c as I see no other way.

Be enrolled in a public high school*located within the college’s five county district. (his last HS was in conn., this school is in FL)

Have written approval of the high school principal. (he presumably isn't enrolled in a hs so getting a letter from the principal could be tough)

There are also a bunch of academic requirements that I have a hard time believing he could possibly meet gong to 4 HS's.

Well, apparently Thomas was originally class of 2012 according to a few things people are saying on twitter. If this is true, then Thomas might just be declaring for the 2013 NBA draft and bypassing college completely.

Well, apparently Thomas was originally class of 2012 according to a few things people are saying on twitter. If this is true, then Thomas might just be declaring for the 2013 NBA draft and bypassing college completely.

This only makes sense, this whole enrolling in a JUCO thing under what appears to be a strange provision is hardly going to make him qualify for "real" college.

Reading JG's link above, it appears that he has officially enrolled at Chipola JC , so we have updated the thread title.

In other words -- kid's no longer an option. Get ready to see him in the NBA.

I have no freakin' clue what's going on here. This kid has had one of the strangest recruitments I've ever seen.

Didn't look like it was likely for CU to get him, despite their being the comment in the Daily Camera about his close ties to Billups.

Think he's probably one and done anyways, so might not be the type of player Boyle is going after. Hope the kid does well in Xavier.

I hope it works out for Thomas, but I'd be surprised if he ever plays a game there. CTB is not losing any sleep over this.

I think Kevin Durrant went to something like 7 different high schools, incluing prep schools, and he came out alright. Good luck, Chris.

Hope he gets it figured out. Marshall is a good choice for him, I would think. Small town away from certain influences.

Shame this kid hasn't been able to leave his past behind, he has the talent to be a lottery pick.

He did end up enrolling at Marshall, somehow was eligible, appears to have stayed out of trouble, and is having a pretty good first year(12 PPG).

Back