What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'13 Mexico K/P Diego Gonzalez (Signed to Colorado)

One thing I noticed on the video, well, a couple of things. And I know zilch. First, it looked like the goal posts were high school width which are quite a bit wider than college. Second, he hooked almost every kick. While the consistency is good, the degree varied from slight to pretty severe. But his elevation and distance were impressive. He's taking a huge jump in competition. Don't get me wrong. I'm thrilled. He looks like he has a ton of potential.

One thing I noticed on the video, well, a couple of things. And I know zilch. First, it looked like the goal posts were high school width which are quite a bit wider than college. Second, he hooked almost every kick. While the consistency is good, the degree varied from slight to pretty severe. But his elevation and distance were impressive. He's taking a huge jump in competition. Don't get me wrong. I'm thrilled. He looks like he has a ton of potential.

Definitely kicking on high school goal posts. NCAA field goals are 18' 6" wide, and HS field goals are 24 feet wide, same as a soccer goal (which you can clearly see on the first Kohls video, and the second video is a combo field goal/soccer goal).

Not concerned about the movement of the ball. Soccer style kickers are usually going to have movement from on the ball due to the spin created during the kick. He is a left footed kicker and the ball is moving from L-to-R, which means he has a strong follow-through.

Welcome to the Black and Gold! In my book, we need this kid badly. The kicking game at CU should always be above average, for obvious reasons. D2 smothered our stellar kicking program and it seems to me we are finally on our way back!

Is this another indication that this staff isn't going to treat special teams with the same enthusiasm as people treat the homeless guy who comes up to your picnic in the park.

Hawk didn't even bother to act like he cared about STs, Embree said the right stuff but didn't follow through. This looks like a positive action.

Good news.

Don't be so hard on yourself! You don't have to repeat the painfully obvious!

Welcome young man. Mason Crosby taught us all how amazingly effective a great kicker can be. Here's hoping he has great success here.

Welcome aboard. This staff really seems to do some due diligence on the recruiting trail. IMO it's so much more important to be able to kick the ball out of the endzone in the P12 than in other conferences. So many dangerous weapons on just about every team that could take it to the house anytime they touch the ball.

Welcome aboard. This staff really seems to do some due diligence on the recruiting trail. IMO it's so much more important to be able to kick the ball out of the endzone in the P12 than in other conferences. So many dangerous weapons on just about every team that could take it to the house anytime they touch the ball.

Exactly.

It's pretty simple, really.

The staff asks: "Can this player make us a better football team?"

The answer was "yes" and there was a scholarship available, so we have ourselves a big-legged kicker added to the roster.

You take any advantage you can because the difference between winning and losing can be so small.

I'm really excited about this kid. We haven't been able to kick the ball out of the endzone - let alone keep it inbounds consistently - since we had Crosby in here, which is an utter disgrace. We have been giving away chunks of field position regularly on kickoffs, which doesn't help a Defense that needs as many breaks as it can get. Also, having a long distance FG threat creates so many more coaching options, and so many more opportunities to grab momentum. Huge.

I'm really excited about this kid. We haven't been able to kick the ball out of the endzone - let alone keep it inbounds consistently - since we had Crosby in here, which is an utter disgrace. We have been giving away chunks of field position regularly on kickoffs, which doesn't help a Defense that needs as many breaks as it can get. Also, having a long distance FG threat creates so many more coaching options, and so many more opportunities to grab momentum. Huge.

Oliver doesn't have the strongest leg but he can still kick ~55. I'd be surprised if we actually saw Diego kick FG's this season

He has yet to show he can kick with either or both legs. I'm cautiously withholding judgement until I see that!

Otherwise guys with a long soccer background always get the green light from me, whether kickers or OL!

He better be worth the scholarship. Tired of CU finding castoff kickers and them not working out.

On one of the videos they were showing his kickoff distance and hang times. A lot of the kicks were less than 65 yards (goal line). But it seemed like he was getting them really high. Maybe those kicks were intentionally "short" with long hang times, which seems to be a popular choice coaches make now. How long does it take a guy to cover 50 yards (to the 15 yard line)? Five and a half or six seconds?

Re-watched it. It looks like he was purposefully kicking them short and high. His hang times were about 3.8 seconds. One exceeded 4. They ranged from 1 yard deep to the 7. Looks like he can easily kick 'em out of the end zone. Hell, he was clearing the uprights on 55 yard FG attempts.

Last edited:
:dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4:
:dance5::dance5:

Welcome to the black and gold!!!

Back