What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'14 CA PF Stanley Johnson (Verbal to Arizona)

Considering we were pursuing Jabari Bird pretty hard - and he's likely to be a one-and-done, I think it's safe to say that Tad isn't scared of them.

I don't think Tad is at all worried about bringing guys that are one and done talent to Boulder. But he will sprinkle in the glue guys for the purposes of culture and consistency.

Arizona's turning into the Kentucky of the west, except for winning championships part.
I'm actually OK with that. Miller can try to assemble a cohesive team out of his mercenaries, while it leaves those 4*'s in the 50-100 range (especially those in AZ's backyard) there for the taking. I think that's the best way for us to carve out a niche.

'14 CA PF Stanley Johnson

I'll take a team of top 50-100 4* junior and seniors over a team of one-and dones any day.

You would like to mix 1 or 2 top ten talents with the rest of the roster being made of guys primarily in the 50-150 range.

You would like to mix 1 or 2 top ten talents with the rest of the roster being made of guys primarily in the 50-150 range.

Maybe not. Starting lineup of Scott, Johnson, Dinwiddie, Roberson, And Booker, is a NBA loaded roster. Add in other 4*s on the bench learning to start the next year, you have a legit top-15 team every year.

Maybe not. Starting lineup of Scott, Johnson, Dinwiddie, Roberson, And Booker, is a NBA loaded roster. Add in other 4*s on the bench learning to start the next year, you have a legit top-15 team every year.

If you want to take the next step from a program ranked in the 15-20 range, to a top 5 type team you usually need them. But if you are a top 15-20 program with regularity, it is more likely for Boyle to attract the one and done type players or at the least some players in the 11-30 range

I agree Roland. All the top 5-10 teams have at least one "one and done" type star talent(or close to that). Louisville might be the exception due to their depth and style of play, but look at the other team in the finals, Michigan was loaded with 1st round talents (McGary, Hardaway, Burke, and Robinson III). It wasn't a coincidence that Michigan made it to the finals. Usually, talent triumps all else in basketball especially when only five guys on the court.

Maybe we should strive to be Louisville, both in style of play and recruiting. We will never have the fan support or rapid following, but we can replicate their style of play at altitude, and the press will destroy sea level teams! Once BOyle has depth, he can really disrupt other teams.

Back to Louisville, Pitino doesn't really sign any top 10 recruits, but he gets guys right below that and coaches them up for 3-5 years. Russ Smith was two star. Boyle loves the guys in the 50-150 range, and he is great at finding gems that blow up their senior years and move into the rankings (Cain,Dinwiddie,Fletcher, and Thomas to name a few).

I believe Boyle would love a top 20 recruit like Stanley Johnson, and I think Boyle will get one in 2014 or 2015 if he can take us a little farther in the tourney next year (Sweet 16). That will give him enough juice on the recruiting trail.

Boyle is really close to taking this program to a top 20 level on a consistent basis.

It is our job to support him and the players and go to the games/donate/etc.

I agree Roland. All the top 5-10 teams have at least one "one and done" type star talent(or close to that). Louisville might be the exception due to their depth and style of play, but look at the other team in the finals, Michigan was loaded with 1st round talents (McGary, Hardaway, Burke, and Robinson III). It wasn't a coincidence that Michigan made it to the finals. Usually, talent triumps all else in basketball especially when only five guys on the court.

Maybe we should strive to be Louisville, both in style of play and recruiting. We will never have the fan support or rapid following, but we can replicate their style of play at altitude, and the press will destroy sea level teams! Once BOyle has depth, he can really disrupt other teams.

Back to Louisville, Pitino doesn't really sign any top 10 recruits, but he gets guys right below that and coaches them up for 3-5 years. Russ Smith was two star. Boyle loves the guys in the 50-150 range, and he is great at finding gems that blow up their senior years and move into the rankings (Cain,Dinwiddie,Fletcher, and Thomas to name a few).

I believe Boyle would love a top 20 recruit like Stanley Johnson, and I think Boyle will get one in 2014 or 2015 if he can take us a little farther in the tourney next year (Sweet 16). That will give him enough juice on the recruiting trail.

Boyle is really close to taking this program to a top 20 level on a consistent basis.

It is our job to support him and the players and go to the games/donate/etc.

JWhite17, I agree with you. The only thing that I think you made a mistake on is "Boyle loves the guys in the 50-150 range." Obviously any coach isn't going to be upset with landing Top 150 talent year in and year out. I think that he loves any player he signs, but would "love" a top 25 recruit just as much if not even more. I think if he could he would be signing the prospects 1-25 every year, but just hasn't gotten to that step in our program quite yet. We are right on the edge, as you stated. And I do completely agree that we are one deep run in March away from landing that 5 star recruit.

JWhite17, I agree with you. The only thing that I think you made a mistake on is "Boyle loves the guys in the 50-150 range." Obviously any coach isn't going to be upset with landing Top 150 talent year in and year out. I think that he loves any player he signs, but would "love" a top 25 recruit just as much if not even more. I think if he could he would be signing the prospects 1-25 every year, but just hasn't gotten to that step in our program quite yet. We are right on the edge, as you stated. And I do completely agree that we are one deep run in March away from landing that 5 star recruit.

I think what JWhite means by that is that Boyle loves getting those players whom he can develop and be in the program for three years which results in less roster turnover. I do after with your overall premise though, gonna be awesome when we get some 5*'s in here. It's actually kind of baffling that we haven't landed one yet IMO.

Tad loves signing the best talent he can for the program.

However, I do think his signing of Stalzer shows that he believes in having "program guys" in addition to NBA minor leaguers. Coach Cal learned that lesson the hard way in Lexington this year. And while everyone talks about all the McDonald's All-Americans he signed, notice should be taken that he also signed a 3* point guard he's likely to have for 3 or 4 years.

Tad loves signing the best talent he can for the program.

However, I do think his signing of Stalzer shows that he believes in having "program guys" in addition to NBA minor leaguers. Coach Cal learned that lesson the hard way in Lexington this year. And while everyone talks about all the McDonald's All-Americans he signed, notice should be taken that he also signed a 3* point guard he's likely to have for 3 or 4 years.

Buffnik, I agree completely. I think that a nice balance is key. Bring in a few 3-4 year prospects along with that 5 star recruit.

I really think Tad will stick with guys who help make a team. There are so many of the 5* guys who come in and really only play for themselves and their draft stock for a year before bailing (hello Tony Wroten). At least in football, you get three years out of them, which also means they have to at least pretend to listen to their coach to get PT for those three years.

There are definitely 5* kids who aren't necessarily one and done type players (I think Perkins is a good example), and I'd be more than happy to get those guys. There are also a couple of absolute game changers every year that will single handedly elevate a program. Of course you take one if you can get them. But when a staff just goes star chasing, without a clear idea of the type of kids they're recruiting, or how the pieces fit together, it can cause problems. Fortunately, I don't see Boyle falling into this trap.

I actually think Michigan is a team we could emulate. Sure, they were loaded with talent but their best player was certainly not considered a one and done type talent coming out of high school (in the 75-100 range) No one and done players, although McGary and Robinson III could have been if they wanted to be.

Now, from a scheme view I agree... would be awesome to see CU have a Louisville type press, if we could pull it off

There's only really a handful of players every year that you know if you get them to commit, they are done after one year. The rest that end up being that way, typically go because of their play

I think Tad is going to work for the best players he can for the program. If that means top 50-150 guys plus a couple of lower ranked guys who fill key roles then that's what he is going to take. If he gets a shot at a one and done guy who he thinks would make a significant contribution then I can easily see him taking him as well.

So far I don't know how many one and dones have been realistically interested in us. As huge a change as we have seen in the program with Tad you have to remember that we have won exactly one NCAA tourney game under him. We aren't exactly considered a national power to the kids yet.

Secondly I can also see Tad turning down a kid who's talented enough to be one and done if he doesn't think the kid is the right fit. A lot of those kids are more worried about their own numbers and career than they are about the program they play for.

In the right circumstances however a kid who is an extrordinary talent can take an otherwise very good team to the championship level. If we continue to improve and find ourselves in some sweet 16 situations I can see the question of taking one coming soon.

I can only assume that Johnson didn't pull the trigger with a commitment to Zona or Kentucky because he was holding out for a CU offer to join XJ and Eli.

[video=youtube;PaaEm_jEc4U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaaEm_jEc4U[/video]

Schlocky open. Time to go full force after him.

Why is he listed as a PF? His skills and size say "small forward."

Probably because the profile was created back in 2011 when we were recruiting XJ and Stanley hadn't developed much of a handle or jumper at that point.

Both aspects of his game have gotten pretty evil since then.

Probably because the profile was created back in 2011 when we were recruiting XJ and Stanley hadn't developed much of a handle or jumper at that point.

Both aspects of his game have gotten pretty evil since then.

I should beat you mercilessly with the rep stick for raising my hopes.

EVERYTHING is saying he's a Zona lock. That said, he's waiting until spring to sign, so keep an eye on USC.

Back