What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'14 JC DB Ahkello Witherspoon (Signed to Colorado)

Wait. Are you suggesting that submarines are like helicopters? That they pretty much run themselves?

All you need is someone to press the "Awuuuga Awuuuga!" button and it's good to go.

Wait. Are you suggesting that submarines are like helicopters? That they pretty much run themselves?

All you need is someone to press the "Awuuuga Awuuuga!" button and it's good to go.

Apparently there is a lot of training involved, and certainly the Awuuuuga button is an important part of that. However, said training doesn't really happen at the Naval Academy.

I don't think they really offer submarine training at the Naval Academy, per se.

Whatever it was, I know he was slated for sub duty and it ended up being a problem with the height issue.

Whatever it was, I know he was slated for sub duty and it ended up being a problem with the height issue.

Chad Hennings wanted to fly fighters when he left the AFA. He ended up big enough that he didn't have room to operate the controls on the plane he wanted to fly.

They ended up qualifying him for A-10s which have a bigger cockpit.

Apparently there is a lot of training involved, and certainly the Awuuuuga button is an important part of that. However, said training doesn't really happen at the Naval Academy.

Ran across this from the government shutdown in October. Not sure what training is going on there

Naval Academy Stops Paying Teachers, Encourages Tribal Knowledge

ANNAPOLIS, MD – The Naval Academy stopped paying its civilian instructors on Tuesday as a result of the government shutdown, and told students and military staff members to “just figure it out” and “watch Youtube or something.”

With the loss of more than half of the faculty, students and military instructors have responded with creative ways to continue education at the nation’s top-ranked public university. The acting Academic Dean, Col. Samir Fidelis, instituted a new curriculum that combines multiple courses into single courses.

“I call it Smashication,” he triumphantly reported. “Take two things, smash ‘em together and teach ‘em at the same time. Twice the info, half the resources…saves time, ‘Rah?”

Course offerings now include Physics of Western Civilization, Mid-Victorian Organic Chemistry, and Leadership and Ethics for the Middle Eastern Economist. However, classes like “Swimming for the Electrical Engineer ” and “Seamanship, Wrestling, and Navigation” have proven dangerous and costly.

So far, at least one Midshipman and an instructor suffered injuries while practicing single-leg takedowns in the wheel-house of a patrol craft.

Students have been gathering in classrooms as normal, but lectures normally led by civilian professors are now facilitated by unpaid guest speakers. In one electrical engineering class, a man who installed a semi-functional stereo system in his car narrowly beat out a guy who once licked a nine-volt battery to take the podium.

Tribal knowledge and trial and error have become the dominant modes of learning. On Wednesday, naval architecture students learned about hull shapes when two students drowned in the nearby Severn River while trying to cross it in an old refrigerator.

Still, school officials remain optimistic.
“The students and military faculty have really stepped up their game. I’m starting to think we just may have found an answer to our long term budget problems,” Fidelis stated.

Read more: http://www.duffelblog.com/2013/10/n...rs-encourages-tribal-knowledge/#ixzz2o3W6tNhF

Chad Hennings wanted to fly fighters when he left the AFA. He ended up big enough that he didn't have room to operate the controls on the plane he wanted to fly.

They ended up qualifying him for A-10s which have a bigger cockpit.
That would still be a tight fit.:wow: I've been in an A-10 and it was pretty snug, Chad is a bit bigger than me.

HotRack gonna weigh in here or what?

I once spent 18 days underwater. Once.

Semper Gumby

Just saw the thread started going sinker - in more ways than one.

Yes, lots of training involved to become a bubblehead, but Canoe U grads certainly don't receive it during their time at the Boat School. We all get it at the same time when we report to Naval Nuclear Power School in Charleston, SC (was Orlando in my day).

Actual AH-OOGA training doesn't start for about a year after reporting to Power School. They have to make sure we will be good nukes before they give us the tactical keys.

My understanding is that Robinson put submarines as his top choice on his "dream sheet" for service selection and got it. Then after he took Navy to the tournament, the Navy knew it would be ridiculous to expect the 7 footer to serve on submarines and give up an NBA career, so they let him go to the Supply Corps and serve his commitment in the reserves.

Anyway, now that this is put to rest, back to the thread...

Welcome to the Black and Gold, Ahkello!

Just saw the thread started going sinker - in more ways than one.

Yes, lots of training involved to become a bubblehead, but Canoe U grads certainly don't receive it during their time at the Boat School. We all get it at the same time when we report to Naval Nuclear Power School in Charleston, SC (was Orlando in my day).

Actual AH-OOGA training doesn't start for about a year after reporting to Power School. They have to make sure we will be good nukes before they give us the tactical keys.

My understanding is that Robinson put submarines as his top choice on his "dream sheet" for service selection and got it. Then after he took Navy to the tournament, the Navy knew it would be ridiculous to expect the 7 footer to serve on submarines and give up an NBA career, so they let him go to the Supply Corps and serve his commitment in the reserves.

Anyway, now that this is put to rest, back to the thread...

Welcome to the Black and Gold, Ahkello!

More or less an identical career path for me. Except the bball part.

Semper Gumby

The old Navy exchange and commissary in Annapolis houses the Academy's sub program:

image.jpg
...and yeah, Ahkello has a promising future. Excited to see how he develops.

Last edited:
Also had USC, UCLA, one other Pac 12 school, and MSU for offers per a poster on Rivals and someone who went

Isn't that who you just sourced for those offers? And TZI's brother works for USC recruiting
Because some random internet poster who doesn't know one way or the other if he had those offers said so?

Because some random internet poster who doesn't know one way or the other if he had those offers said so?
well, actually, this RIP has a legit claim to knowing about the situation iirc.

You do know it's not a good idea to reject all data that doesn't agree with your preferred conclusion, right?

He may not have had a SC offer, but I am certain he had heavy PAC interest after his visit. He and Walker were on secret lock down before their OV

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Great prizefighter name.

And I think he's going to be special - smart, fast and long is what we desperately need in the defense.

Back