What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'14 TNFR ATH Jaleel Awini (Committed to Colorado)

If nothing else, I'm happy for the Kid. Looking at his past bio it looks like he always would have like to have been here. Good for him =)

That has speed, agility, and toughness, sure. Don't take the easy way out on presenting an opposing point. What can't he do in regards to a S/LB rover position?

I'm not trying to take the easy way out, I'm just saying just because he's 220lbs doesn't mean he's going to be better on defense than he would on offense. Does he have the mentality to stick his nose in the hole and collide with a big, fast RB? Does he have good enough coverage skills to play in the secondary at a PAC 12 level? Not everyone has that mentality or ability, despite having the size, and that's what I was eluding to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not trying to take the easy way out, I'm just saying just because he's 220lbs doesn't mean he's going to be better on defense than he would on offense. Does he have the mentality to stick his nose in the hole and collide with a big, fast RB? Does he have good enough coverage skills to play in the secondary at a PAC 12 level? Not everyone has that mentality or ability, despite having the size, and that's what I was eluding to.

Don't run away...

Just to answer some questions in this thread.

The Denver Post is reporting:

http://www.denverpost.com/colleges/ci_25118893/cu-buffs-pick-up-transfer-from-air-force

"I'm going to CU," Awini told the Rivals.com-based college recruiting service Monday. "I told their coaches that, and they were excited. They think I will bring a little athleticism to the team at quarterback or wide receiver, anywhere."
Awini said it is yet to be determined whether he will join the Buffs as a walk-on or as a scholarship player.
"I got an offer from coach Dan Hawkins at CU, and then he was fired," Awini said. "Coach (Jon) Embree wasn't interested in me."

I wonder if that's due to our QB neediness or due to Awini's proficiency.

You do know he was already a QB at AF, right? He'll get his shot at QB because of that and stay/move accordingly

You do know he was already a QB at AF, right? He'll get his shot at QB because of that and stay/move accordingly

You realize being a Pac-12 QB is a little different than running an option offense right?

Don't be a smartass. Awini had 42 pass attempts for the Air Force and 45 rushing attempts. A lot of teams recruited him as an athlete and he actually has more experience running the ball than throwing it. I wasn't unaware that the chairforce used him as a QB, but I am aware that not a lot of other teams would, perhaps us included.

You realize being a Pac-12 QB is a little different than running an option offense right?

Don't be a smartass. Awini had 42 pass attempts for the Air Force and 45 rushing attempts. A lot of teams recruited him as an athlete and he actually has more experience running the ball than throwing it. I wasn't unaware that the chairforce used him as a QB, but I am aware that not a lot of other teams would, perhaps us included.

You're telling me to not be a smartass yet your first paragraph is you being a smartass, ok. But yes, I do realize there's a difference. If he gets in the game as a QB it likely won't be as one who gets the majority of snaps, but would use his athleticism to help the offense move the ball. He in all likelihood moves to WR but I would bet he gets some snaps at QB in-game, it's not all that uncommon to have a QB come in just to run.

I love having Awini at QB. It gives Lindgren so many options. Maybe we have a short yardage situation. Maybe the team needs a change of pace to get things moving. Having someone who can come in and make plays with his legs can win football games. And it also moves CU away from having 4 or 5 QBs on the roster with only 1 getting meaningful game snaps. That can avoid some attrition at the position.

I love having Awini at QB. It gives Lindgren so many options. Maybe we have a short yardage situation. Maybe the team needs a change of pace to get things moving. Having someone who can come in and make plays with his legs can win football games. And it also moves CU away from having 4 or 5 QBs on the roster with only 1 getting meaningful game snaps. That can avoid some attrition at the position.

Also means we have another guy to take a snap who has faced live pass rushes with a crowd in the stands.

He will be a WR by October.

I doubt that. At the least, he's having to sit out this year and is running scout team. He'll give the practice look we need for when we face running QBs. I wouldn't expect a full switch to be announced until spring practices if that is what's going to happen.

I am too lazy to search this thread. Can he play this year or does he have to sit out?

Since he is '14 commit, I think he would have 4/3...

I think there's been a question on this for some time. He appears to have been docked his RS year due to showing up at CSU for summer school then he went to prep school. Then he did a stint at AFA. So assuming he sits out this year, he would then have 2 years and be a 2/2 guy. I think.

Back