What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'14 TX ILB Grant Watanabe (Signed to COLORADO)

With the Watanabe name, I expected a Japanese American, but he's clearly very, very Poly. Has a lot of relatives (cousins and uncles) that played in college and higher, all with Samoan/Tongan surnames. Stan Havili is Tongan. Tony Moeaki is Samoan (I believe). Paul Soliai is definitely Samoan. I would guess his surname came from Japanese lineage, living in Hawaii at some point in the past. Just some interesting background (to me).

There appears to be a strong bond to Utah as several of these guys played at Utah or BYU, or went to HS in Utah. Havili went to HS in SLC before going to USC.

More than a little resemblance to a former LB recruit? At any rate, I'd LOVE to have this tackling machine.

View attachment 11813

Native American

Can we maybe just talk about him as a football player? It hasn't been racist or anything, but you never know how people are going to take stuff. No one here cares what his ethnic background is other than being able to relate to it. The only thing that matters is whether he can ball.

That being said, I think he is the perfect HCMM recruit.

CU, as has been said a million times on this board, is not at the place where we can win recruiting battles for 4&5* players. It just isn't.

Watanabe was the DPOY in San Antonio. He had something like 167 tackles and led his team to the 4A semifinals. If he was 4 inches taller, we wouldn't be in the conversation. This is a perfect recruit. Kid can play, and will come in with a chip on his shoulder. We need to fill a class with this kind of athlete.

Can we maybe just talk about him as a football player? It hasn't been racist or anything, but you never know how people are going to take stuff. No one here cares what his ethnic background is other than being able to relate to it. The only thing that matters is whether he can ball.

no ****. I mean, we would take BCS if he could play. Except...would he need a Kosher football? (Note for the recruit...we are busting the chops of a long time poster here. SIgn with the Buffs and you will get one free smack upside of said posters face with a hot omlette pan courtesy of Allbuffs.com. As long as that is not seen as a NCAA infraction.)

Interesting that he had 4 or 5 interceptions and a bunch of pass break-ups in his highlight reel. That's not something you usually see from a middle linebacker. I'd like to think that's a good thing.

no ****. I mean, we would take BCS if he could play. Except...would he need a Kosher football? (Note for the recruit...we are busting the chops of a long time poster here. SIgn with the Buffs and you will get one free smack upside of said posters face with a hot omlette pan courtesy of Allbuffs.com. As long as that is not seen as a NCAA infraction.)
im personally offended by this statement but could be bought off by Flight time...

I admire Native American culture. But I get where you are coming from. Will keep it strictly football. He looks like a very good prospect.

628x471.jpg

/end of discussion.

I don't remember Jordan Dizon being a big dude but he was a tackling machine.

Grant got a Scout article recently on the Boise site.

FWIW, I'd probably list Boise as the frontrunner if they were to offer based on the quote in the article but you never know.

http://boisestate.scout.com/2/1284915.html

It's hard to tell. I usually don't give those quotes a ton of weight when they arise during an interview with the site for that team. If he talks Boise when, say, a Utah reporter interviews him -- then it's a very big deal.

I hear you. Sometimes a prospect just is trying to be polite and doesn't want to close doors and try and say nice things when they're interviewing with someone affiliated with a particular school. The reason why I was saying that I thought Boise would be the frontrunner if we offered was how he specifically had Colorado as the leader before his visit here and directly compared the two to one another.

"They'll definitely be up there," he said. "Colorado was my favorite visit before going up there and Boise State was just so much better. It really impressed me how their APR rate is so high, the players have a close relationship with the coaching staff, and the whole team atmosphere in Boise. I really liked it all."

Everything's obviously subject to change when you're talking about 17 year olds and it's still way early, but with Colorado as the early leader here this quote made me feel like Boise State is the current leader at least for now.

Re: '14 TX ILB Grant Watanabe (Verbal to COLORADO)

Welcome!

I love the eyes. Reminds me of Mike Singletary

'14 TX ILB Grant Watanabe (Verbal to COLORADO)

:woot: a great building block at a position of need for this class.

Hope he alleviates my concerns about his height and speed in the coming years.

Back