What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'15 Belgium PG Thomas Akyazili (Signed to Colorado)

Even if he is a good shooter at the high school level that doesn't necessarily carry over to college as we have seen.

That sample size is too small when we don't know what kind of team situation he was in. He had great shooting seasons and poor ones. I also heard Fran Franchilla say he was a good shooter, which may mean nothing of course!

Utah isn't recruting a 6'2" shooting guard who is a 31% shooter from outside, nor are they going to recruit a point guard who isn't a point.

The sample size I used constitutes all the 3's he has attempted for Antwerpen Giants and Belgium u18/u16. In other words, this sample size is his career 3 pt shooting %. How can you characterize him having great shooting seasons and poor shooting seasons while also asserting that his career shooting is too small of a sample size?

Fraschilla also stated that Akyazili is not Big-East quality and should be playing Mid-Major. The Big-East has taken a big dip in quality since the exodus. So, how do you defend cherry-pickng Fraschilla's analysis while also using Utah showing interest as a marker for Akyazili's ability?

I really like Akyazili and i think he's going to bring a lot to the table. There's just a lot of contradictions in your post & a lot of characterizations by other posters of Akyazili that contradict the relatively vast amount of information that is available for a mid-to-high major prospect.

Why are people suggesting Akyazili is not athletic? Just curious what the basis is for that conclusion.

He looks pretty athletic and skilled just in this workout video.

[video=youtube;TMOxsL85dgM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMOxsL85dgM[/video]

Last edited:
Why are people suggesting Akyazili is not athletic? Just curious what the basis is for that conclusion.

He looks pretty athletic and skilled just in this workout video.

[video=youtube;TMOxsL85dgM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMOxsL85dgM[/video]

I don't think people are questioning his athleticism as much as his explosiveness in terms of attacking the basket. It takes a special kind of explosiveness to be able to finish consistently in college basketball these days.

I don't think people are questioning his athleticism as much as his explosiveness in terms of attacking the basket. It takes a special kind of explosiveness to be able to finish consistently in college basketball these days.

how much basketball have you watched this tournament. I see teams winning with guys like Baker from Wichita State, White from Iowa or Pat Connaughton. These guys aren't going to break down a defender and drive to the hoop and finish consistently, but they make smart basketball plays and cut to the hoop without the ball to make easy shots. And they give smart, intense effort on defense. At this point Tad has gone very heavy on guys who can attack basket on offense (King, Fletch, Jhop) and has completely neglected the guys who give a full effort on defense and play within the offense. We could use a guy like Wisconsin's Gasser on our team or ND's Connaughton. It would be amazing to have a guy who is 120 in offensive rating and maybe 95 in defensive, with a 10 to 15% usage rate.

Next year we know the offense is going to go through Josh, but we still need that elite perimeter defender (or two) that other good teams have that we are sorely missing. If this kid is willing to sell out on defense then he is going to see some playing time.

how much basketball have you watched this tournament. I see teams winning with guys like Baker from Wichita State, White from Iowa or Pat Connaughton. These guys aren't going to break down a defender and drive to the hoop and finish consistently, but they make smart basketball plays and cut to the hoop without the ball to make easy shots. And they give smart, intense effort on defense. At this point Tad has gone very heavy on guys who can attack basket on offense (King, Fletch, Jhop) and has completely neglected the guys who give a full effort on defense and play within the offense. We could use a guy like Wisconsin's Gasser on our team or ND's Connaughton. It would be amazing to have a guy who is 120 in offensive rating and maybe 95 in defensive, with a 10 to 15% usage rate.

Next year we know the offense is going to go through Josh, but we still need that elite perimeter defender (or two) that other good teams have that we are sorely missing. If this kid is willing to sell out on defense then he is going to see some playing time.

Great post tante.

I don't know anything about this kid. A few videos don't tell a lot about what kind of player he is.

Your points are spot on though. First there is no one type of player to win with. We have a bunch of explosive guys and are sitting at home watching.

Another more of the same player isn't going to help us get where we need to be. Hopefully this guy can complement what we already have and make us a better team.

He's been in some positions of responsibility and leadership on his national teams. We need a guy who can do things well that we don't right now.

Yeah if you read my comments throughout the thread you would see that is exactly what I have said about the kid. Someone said he was a slasher type guard while I was saying he is a player that can hit shots and make good plays/passes. You are saying the exact same thing I have been talking about.

Edit: Looks like someone already posted this. Sorry everyone.

[video=vimeo;122908535]https://vimeo.com/122908535[/video]

Last edited:
[tweet]588371437079162881[/tweet]

[video=vimeo;122908535]https://vimeo.com/122908535[/video]

Basically said he chose Colorado over St. Johns in part because Colorado doesn't have a "real point guard". Interesting.

Basically said he chose Colorado over St. Johns in part because Colorado doesn't have a "real point guard". Interesting.

He's not wrong. We don't have an established PG but Tad went on record last week saying that Dom is the PG.

Yeah if you read my comments throughout the thread you would see that is exactly what I have said about the kid. Someone said he was a slasher type guard while I was saying he is a player that can hit shots and make good plays/passes. You are saying the exact same thing I have been talking about.

He's a combo guard & the people who have watched him multiple times have said the same. Thomas has said in his own words that his greatest strength right now is 1-on-1. Could he become a better shooter & distributor? Sure, but that's not what his game is right now. Unless he grows 4 inches, he absolutely has to become a better pure PG, but that's not what he was for Belgium & he's barely played for Antwer Giants senior team.

He's a combo guard & the people who have watched him multiple times have said the same. Thomas has said in his own words that his greatest strength right now is 1-on-1. Could he become a better shooter & distributor? Sure, but that's not what his game is right now. Unless he grows 4 inches, he absolutely has to become a better pure PG, but that's not what he was for Belgium & he's barely played for Antwer Giants senior team.

Didn't he average 6 assists on the national U-18 team? I think he is fine passing.

Just read an article that thomas is the only player on the team that won't be on campus this summer....makes me wonder if he's taking a shirt. Interesting that everyone else has to be there.

Just read an article that thomas is the only player on the team that won't be on campus this summer....makes me wonder if he's taking a shirt. Interesting that everyone else has to be there.

Nope, it's because he will be on national team duty for Belgium through at least June.

Back