What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'15 CO ATH Andrew Wingard (Verbal to Wyoming)

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Rivals
Scout
ESPN
247sports

pp21rv28-222x300.jpg

Ralston Valley H.S. (Arvada, CO)

Ht: 6'0"
Wt: 175
40: 4.49

Rivals rating: 2*-5.4rr; unrated ATH
Scout rating:
ESPN rating: unrated ATH
247s rating: 2*-75 grade; #175 S

Reported Offers: North Dakota, Wyoming

Camped at CU this weekend and supposedly had a good day. I'm sure that KyleM could add some insight.

He's got the size to play safety and if he was the fastest guy at camp I'll assume that 4.49 is legit. Seems like the kind of guy the staff likes, athletic and can move around if needed.

He's got the size to play safety and if he was the fastest guy at camp I'll assume that 4.49 is legit. Seems like the kind of guy the staff likes, athletic and can move around if needed.

Yeah. I didn't see final stats from 2013, but it looked like he was on track after 9 games (Maxpreps stats) to have over 2,000 all-purpose yards for a good Ralston Valley squad that whipped schools like Mullen last year.

I would think that the hard work he's putting in is the biggest selling point on its own. Hard work is really something you can't teach. The fact he's busting his hump to get noticed has got to bode well for his future at the D1 level.

Definitely. A lot of these guys go to multiple camps, but six or seven in the spring/summer is impressive ... not to mention the cost and travel.

So this kid wins Gatorade Player of the year in Colorado and CU doesn't give him an offer... Very questionable move when you're trying to "close the borders". Just and FYI - Christian McCaffrey won that award the past two years.

BTW, none of his coaches played for the Pokes.

So this kid wins Gatorade Player of the year in Colorado and CU doesn't give him an offer... Very questionable move when you're trying to "close the borders". Just and FYI - Christian McCaffrey won that award the past two years.

Do you have a dog in this fight?

No offense to Andrew, but hes not a Pac-12 recruit. Hes a good player no doubt, but would you rather take him over other DBs we have on the board?

If I'm the new CSU coach looking to finish up the class with in-state talent, Wingard is my first call.

He'll be a great player for Bohl in Laramie. Could have been a contributor on special teams for a few years and then potential to play at S. I think he will get more opportunity at UWyo.

Best of luck wherever you end up, Andrew.

So we should offer any kid who wins POY?

Fwiw I believe HCMM would offer this kid if he had more spots.

If I'm the new CSU coach looking to finish up the class with in-state talent, Wingard is my first call.

I would agree but you don't think he's a "CU caliber" player? Kid was a 2 way player, had 2,500+ all purpose yards and 37 total TDs, not to mention his defensive abilities.

I would agree but you don't think he's a "CU caliber" player? Kid was a 2 way player, had 2,500+ all purpose yards and 37 total TDs, not to mention his defensive abilities.
MacIntyre has seen him in-person multiple times. If MacIntyre thought he would be a contributing player in the pac 12 he would have gotten an offer. McCaffrey is in a different league and has been since he was 9 playing Hawks football.

So we should offer any kid who wins POY?

McCaffrey (x2) - Stanford
Austin Hinder - Cal
Jon Major - CU
Ryan Miller - CU
Lamarr Houston - Texas
Jeff Byers - USC
Lendale White - USC
Marcus Houston - CU/CSU
Bo Scaife - Texas

All of these guys were winners of the Colorado Gatorade POY. I'm just saying that this award goes to guys who can play at the big time level. I think CU could have used this kid.

MacIntyre has seen him in-person multiple times. If MacIntyre thought he would be a contributing player in the pac 12 he would have gotten an offer.

Yes, because no coach has ever misjudged a kid. All I'm saying is that it's surprising that the supposed "best player in the state" doesn't get an offer from the in-state program.

McCaffrey (x2) - Stanford
Austin Hinder - Cal
Jon Major - CU
Ryan Miller - CU
Lamarr Houston - Texas
Jeff Byers - USC
Lendale White - USC
Marcus Houston - CU/CSU
Bo Scaife - Texas

All of these guys were winners of the Colorado Gatorade POY. I'm just saying that this award goes to guys who can play at the big time level. I think CU could have used this kid.
You are skipping a few years, I believe. Seems self serving. Also Hinder was a bust.

That said, I do think in a different year Andrew would have a CU offer to consider. This is a uniquely weird year, recruiting wise.

Yes, because no coach has ever misjudged a kid. All I'm saying is that it's surprising that the supposed "best player in the state" doesn't get an offer from the in-state program.
Not saying there isn't the possibility for Andrew to be a Pac 12 player, but CU can't go around giving out scholarships to people just because they are the "best player in the state" This all reminds me of the Dylan Spradling thing last year.

You are skipping a few years, I believe. Seems self serving. Also Hinder was a bust.

That said, I do think in a different year Andrew would have a CU offer to consider. This is a uniquely weird year, recruiting wise.

It's a numbers thing. I would almost always agree to signing Wingard as the second safety in a CU class. He's a gamer with adequate size and speed to burn. I just don't know if there's room and if we only take one freshman S, I think the player needs to be more of a "sure thing" recruit. I like Wingard a lot, though.

It's got to be a numbers thing. Only so many slots available. It's obvious that the kid can play. Looks like Wyoming is getting a heck of a player. Sometimes, this stuff just happens.

You're right I didn't include Joe Hansley (CSU) and Jaleel Awini (Air Force), who were the two other most recent winners, among others. All I'm saying is he's got adequate size, 4.4 speed (won fastest man competition while camping with UW) and clearly has the track record of production. It must be a "need" thing for this recruiting cycle because the kid can play. I'm just afraid he's going to be another kid we look at in 2-3 years as a mistake for not offering.

Im happy with the DBs we are after, Wingard will be a nice player for the pokes, wish him the best. But hes not what we need.

Back