What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'15 JC Recruiting

We might see them hold up better. Not many front seven players pass the eye test.

I'm not going to pretend I know what our guys are doing in the offseason and in the S&C program but Mac keeps telling us he needed 18 months in the S&C program to make a difference. We are past that point now (maybe it is due to youth and maybe Mac was talking about JRs and SRs at the time) but we fail the eye test at nearly every position on the field offense and defense. U$C's corners looked like they ate pieces of shi* like us for breakfast.

Mac said we would have a more physical look like Stanford after 18 months in the program and currently we look exactly like Standford's band in football pads.

Still hopeful we plug in some Jucos and as Nik said become a middle of the road defense.

Why would the first team you compare us to in terms of physically be USC? That's just a terrible comparison. Can you get the quote where MacIntyre said we'd look like Stanford? Makes no sense because we have totally different styles.

Forman has done work in his program, but we are still starting a lot of young guys. Having said that, physically we have looked like we belong with the teams we've played against sans USC and maybe UCLA.

We get our best players back from injury, mostly everyone comes back. But your skeptical on improvement.
If you want to use this year as a baseline, improvement is a given. That's not what Nik is talking about. So yeah, I will remain skeptical on the front seven.

If you want to use this year as a baseline, improvement is a given. That's not what Nik is talking about. So yeah, I will remain skeptical on the front seven.

:nod:

Improvement can mean that we'll be a middleweight trying to trade punches with heavyweights instead of a lightweight trying to do so.

If that's the case, then it will be the "moral victory" bull**** again. We'll be better, but it won't translate into anything meaningful.

I'm saying that we'll be a heavyweight. A journeyman heavyweight. Not a title contender. But one who can take a lot of punches and score enough shots.

That's the defense for 2015.

If we get that, I think we've got good enough game planning and offense to win more than we lose next year. And I believe we'll get that.

Not saying it will happen but improved defensive end play would go a LONG way to cover up some of the problems. I'm not saying it will happen but I think our undersized linebackers would not be as exposed as much. Who knows what happend with shaver and Gilbert and if Matthews can come in and perform but god I hope so.

Why would the first team you compare us to in terms of physically be USC? That's just a terrible comparison. Can you get the quote where MacIntyre said we'd look like Stanford? Makes no sense because we have totally different styles.

Forman has done work in his program, but we are still starting a lot of young guys. Having said that, physically we have looked like we belong with the teams we've played against sans USC and maybe UCLA.

I don't understand why it's a terrible comparison. Are you suggesting that just because U$S recruits better players (by star rating) that they are automatically always bigger and stronger forever? Sure there young guys will be bigger and stronger, thus more physically dominant in high school but our upperclassman should somewhat physically resemble them.

I don't have the exact quote but when Mac was hired and was talking about Foreman and his S&C program he said something like - after 18 months his SJSU players came off the field against Stanford and felt like they were physically equal and that is what he expected to happen here. Hence the Stanford comparison. Take ASU if you prefer or Zona. Same story. All I'm saying is that I hope guys come back bigger and stronger and look more physically ready. I just don't think that is a given like you do.

Let's hope what Nik is saying happens. I'm pretty skeptical on defensive improvements.

I think that what Nik is talking about will make significant improvement to our D.

Unfortunately our D could get much better and still not be very good.

I also think that a lot of our defensive injuries have resulted from guys dealing with physical mismatches on a frequent basis.

DEs at 230 trying to take on 290lb OTs, DEs getting blown off the LOS so linemen are running free on the LBs, LBs getting taken out of the play meaning that lead blockers are getting a run at the DBs.

If you are getting hit often enough by someone bigger and stronger eventually you bread down.

The bad news is that even if we get bigger and stronger we will still not physically match our opponents so the injuries are likely to continue.

Last edited:
:nod:

Improvement can mean that we'll be a middleweight trying to trade punches with heavyweights instead of a lightweight trying to do so.

If that's the case, then it will be the "moral victory" bull**** again. We'll be better, but it won't translate into anything meaningful.

I'm saying that we'll be a heavyweight. A journeyman heavyweight. Not a title contender. But one who can take a lot of punches and score enough shots.

That's the defense for 2015.

If we get that, I think we've got good enough game planning and offense to win more than we lose next year. And I believe we'll get that.
This is my glass half-full view, but please, please humor me with 1-2 coach non-voluntary coaching transitions...

I don't understand why it's a terrible comparison. Are you suggesting that just because U$S recruits better players (by star rating) that they are automatically always bigger and stronger forever? Sure there young guys will be bigger and stronger, thus more physically dominant in high school but our upperclassman should somewhat physically resemble them.

I don't have the exact quote but when Mac was hired and was talking about Foreman and his S&C program he said something like - after 18 months his SJSU players came off the field against Stanford and felt like they were physically equal and that is what he expected to happen here. Hence the Stanford comparison. Take ASU if you prefer or Zona. Same story. All I'm saying is that I hope guys come back bigger and stronger and look more physically ready. I just don't think that is a given like you do.

Because USC recruits freak athletes thst few teams can match up with. Those guys are 5*'s for a reason.

And I know the quote you're talking about, it was about being about being more physical than Stanford, not their size.

And our team matches up much, much better this year. I've been on the sideline for the last few years and there is a distinct improvement in the size and athleticism on the team from last year with mostly the same players.

SIAP

RE: JUCO Recruit Rankings

I see with almost all the JUCO's, they are rated N/R. Why is that? Do the services just not get into ranking JC guys? Why don't they put the player's HS rating number instead? Since I'm not a member of any of the recruiting sites, I assume one can go to these sites and search the archives to see where a JUCO guy was rated when he came out of HS?

SIAP

I see with almost all the JUCO's, they are rated N/R. Why is that? Do the services just not get into ranking JC guys? Why don't they put the player's HS rating number instead? Since I'm not a member of any of the recruiting sites, I assume one can go to these sites and search the archives to see where a JUCO guy was rated when he came out of HS?

If you Google any athletes name with their respective position you will usually get their old pages for high school recruiting for instance if you Google LeBron James wide receiver rivals I'll go to his page whenever he was a highschooler recruit

SIAP

You can search. It's largely irrelevant, though. For example, Jordan Carrell is a 275 lb DL. Coming out of high school, he was a 220 lb linebacker. Last year we got Spoon at CB. He was like 5'8" or something coming out of HS and grew like 6 inches in 2 years.

Back