What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'17 CA C Evan "Big Gravy" Battey (Signed to COLORADO)

Not to mention there's nothing in stone that says we play a center and a PF. I look for wings. Wings and more wings.

This. I think in Tad's perfect world, he would roll out a roster of nothing but guys between 6'4" and 6'7" that can play every position. I've long maintained that Tad's ideal lineup here at CU would be one post, 3 wings and a PG. The main reason we went big is because one of Tad's first recruiting classes gave him two All-Pac-12 bigs within the state's borders.

This. I think in Tad's perfect world, he would roll out a roster of nothing but guys between 6'4" and 6'7" that can play every position. I've long maintained that Tad's ideal lineup here at CU would be one post, 3 wings and a PG. The main reason we went big is because one of Tad's first recruiting classes gave him two All-Pac-12 bigs within the state's borders.

I'm not sure I agree. I do think he wants a post guy who can play on the blocks and be a denier on defense.

I think he believes in having a stretch 4, but wants him more versatile (someone who can also handle the rock a bit like Dufault).

I expect XJ to be in that role this season and it could be special if he is committed to rebounding like he's capable. Battey could be an absolute weapon in that role, too.

I will readily admit that I was one of those that was concerned with Tad's recruiting. Especially when we were losing out on recruits to Utah. That being said, I think you can watch CU's recruiting timeline and watch the timeline of assistant coaches who left and assistant coaches who arrived and see that they seem to go hand in hand. A good staff can make a very good coach great and Tad is on the verge of greatness.

I think you are right in that Tad wants a roster full of guys who can move and are versatile enough to do a variety of things. Nik hits on a point that they don't "have" to be this size range. Ideally Tad would have a guy or two on the floor who are a little bigger and give an inside presence but unlike some coaches he isn't willing to sacrifice mobility and skill just to get the size.

A guy like Wes is a perfect fit because while he can rebound and defend in the paint he can cover all the way down to the wings without being an obvious liability.

I think you are right in that Tad wants a roster full of guys who can move and are versatile enough to do a variety of things. Nik hits on a point that they don't "have" to be this size range. Ideally Tad would have a guy or two on the floor who are a little bigger and give an inside presence but unlike some coaches he isn't willing to sacrifice mobility and skill just to get the size.

A guy like Wes is a perfect fit because while he can rebound and defend in the paint he can cover all the way down to the wings without being an obvious liability.
I think Battey qualifies in that regard.

After seeing him at the game last, he's huge! Definitely some baby fat that will need to be converted to muscle. But he certainly looks the part.

I guess watching footage of the incoming 4*s is my only solace for this season.

It's painfully obvious that it's time for fresh blood in the program, minus Derrick White. I feel sick that he had to play this year and wasn't available last year or next year.

Second this.

And really wish we had White for another season. Guy knows how to play the game and appreciates where he is at. Be great to have somebody like that to communicate to the new class.

Back