What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'17 CA QB Jack Sears (Verbal to USC)

I want an experienced guy in here to compete for the job after Montez leaves. Could Sears be an option?

If CU could land Sears, keep Lewis on board, along with Lytle and Stenstrom, that would certainly put the QB depth chart in a really good place, no? I assume either Lytle or Stenstrom would transfer at some point, though.

"Sears landed as the No. 4 QB on the depth chart, which prompted him to try and explore his options elsewhere."

How can we be sure he'd land much higher here? A guy with a bunch of game tape maybe...

I agree. We shouldn't assume that just because he was at SC that he is somehow automatically better than what we have. You can't overlook the fact that he is in his 3rd year in the program and is the 4th string guy.

"Sears landed as the No. 4 QB on the depth chart, which prompted him to try and explore his options elsewhere."

How can we be sure he'd land much higher here? A guy with a bunch of game tape maybe...
This board has a long history of thinking that because a guy was highly rated coming out of high school, he must be better than our guys despite his position on his former teams depth chart.

See: Connor Wood or every QB who enters the transfer portal

Tyler Lytle is in his 3rd year at CU and is 2nd (or even 3rd) on the depth chart. Blake Stenstrom is in his 2nd year at CU and is 3rd (maybe 2nd). Both were 3rd/4th going into the last week of Fall Camp and neither we’re close to challenging a fairly mediocre QB (to this point) for the starting job.

All I said was that bringing in Sears would provide a pretty good depth chart at QB with some talent, assuming Lewis stayed committed and we didn’t lose Lytle/Stenstrom.

I think this board has a long history of overrating CU players

Also, and this is from a week or so ago, but Reign of Troy believes Sears projected as the QB2, not QB4, and said there was really not much separating the entire depth chart, so the tie goes to the incumbent in Daniels. They said Sears was "the most electric QB out of the backfield with a strong arm,,, but lacked consistent accuracy on the run".

You're also talking about Sears getting beat out by Daniels, who was a 5* recruit and #2 overall QB recruit in the country. Sears is a Dual Threat QB that just doesn't seem to be as good a fit for Harrell's Air Raid.

Tyler Lytle is in his 3rd year at CU and is 2nd (or even 3rd) on the depth chart. Blake Stenstrom is in his 2nd year at CU and is 3rd (maybe 2nd). Both were 3rd/4th going into the last week of Fall Camp and neither we’re close to challenging a fairly mediocre QB (to this point) for the starting job.

All I said was that bringing in Sears would provide a pretty good depth chart at QB with some talent, assuming Lewis stayed committed and we didn’t lose Lytle/Stenstrom.

Sears HS film was unreal. If there is a position USC does develop well, it’s QB. If Sears ever had interest in CU, they’d be crazy not to take a look.

If Sears wants to go to Colorado to compete for the QB1 job next year, why would anyone object? Most reports are that he’s a solid dude with a good head on his shoulders. He wants to play and happens to have a skillset that fits what our OC wants to implement in our offense. It seems like a potentially great match. Given what Coach Tucker is teaching, everybody needs to compete for their playing time every day of every week. If Jack Sears wants to be a part of something special, he’d be a fool not to seriously consider Colorado.

If Sears wants to go to Colorado to compete for the QB1 job next year, why would anyone object? Most reports are that he’s a solid dude with a good head on his shoulders. He wants to play and happens to have a skillset that fits what our OC wants to implement in our offense. It seems like a potentially great match. Given what Coach Tucker is teaching, everybody needs to compete for their playing time every day of every week. If Jack Sears wants to be a part of something special, he’d be a fool not to seriously consider Colorado.
Sears HS film was unreal. If there is a position USC does develop well, it’s QB. If Sears ever had interest in CU, they’d be crazy not to take a look.
The way I look at it, as things stand right now they are almost certainly going to be bringing in a Grad Transfer at QB. If they have the opportunity to instead bring in a guy like Sears to compete for the job and have him for more than one season, why wouldn’t we want that?

You say "fairly mediocre QB" even though his draft projections are anywhere from second day to not at all. In other words, despute your views of his play on the field, his talent far exceeds the vast majority of guys playing college football. It's not an indictment of the backups that they can't beat out a guy that has all the tools the NFL salivates over, and I dont understand how that concept is hard to grasp.

You say "fairly mediocre QB" even though his draft projections are anywhere from second day to not at all. In other words, despute your views of his play on the field, his talent far exceeds the vast majority of guys playing college football. It's not an indictment of the backups that they can't beat out a guy that has all the tools the NFL salivates over, and I dont understand how that concept is hard to grasp.
I’m not going to sit here and bad mouth Montez. He’s been a great Buff and a solid QB. You’re absolutely right that he has legit NFL physical skills, but to this point we haven’t really seen it translate to the field on a consistent basis.

I also made that statement in response to holic’s and your posts that Sears couldn’t beat out Daniels and possibly others, and therefore might not be able to beat out the guys on our depth chart. My point was that Sears is swimming in a slightly different talent pool right now than Lytle and Stenstrom.

I’m not going to sit here and bad mouth Montez. He’s been a great Buff and a solid QB. You’re absolutely right that he has legit NFL physical skills, but to this point we haven’t really seen it translate to the field on a consistent basis.

I also made that statement in response to holic’s and your posts that Sears couldn’t beat out Daniels and possibly others, and therefore might not be able to beat out the guys on our depth chart. My point was that Sears is swimming in a slightly different talent pool right now than Lytle and Stenstrom.
Based on high school rankings, sure. Based on any level of on field performance, that statement is up for debate.

Back