What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'17 CO OT Jake Moretti (Signed to COLORADO)

A guy I coach with is very tight with Moretti's dad and the feeling during this past season was that he is all Ohio State. Like nik said, though, positional coaching change, the emergence of Chev, and some solid recruiting momentum could make him think twice. The biggest difference maker, though, will probably be how the Buffs can show out on the field in '16.

I watched Jake in person a couple of times this year and am not convinced he has what it takes to start at Ohio St.

A lot of people around here felt the same way about Dan Skipper years back, right? Now, he's one of the best in the country with probably a 1st-3rd round draft grade next year.
Most of us really wanted Skipper as I recall. Maybe there were some sour grapes. Not that I would stoop to that.

Bigbang was his biggest fan, turns out, he was right. I wouldn't mind having that big sumbitch on our oline.

I hope the CU coaches are staying close to Moretti. Long time until signing day and in recent years it seems most guys have come back to the state (Callahan, Thurston, Fox would have if not for injury retirement, O'Connor on the OL), several other guys at other positions (Willingham, Parsons, etc.). Every reason to continue building this relationship.

I saw Dan Skipper in person and was unimpressed. His footwork looked awful. He'd just lean on guys. Obviously, once he got to Arky, they coached him up. Point being that we can't always tell what an OL will do at the next level by examining what they do in high school. Get a kid with a big frame and long arms and then work on the details once you have him in the program.

At least half of the Colorado HS blue chips that sign with Top 5 P5 programs will never start for the schools to which they commit. Really, most high level HS players don't do a great job strategically planning their college football careers with an eye toward the next level.

I saw Dan Skipper in person and was unimpressed. His footwork looked awful. He'd just lean on guys. Obviously, once he got to Arky, they coached him up. Point being that we can't always tell what an OL will do at the next level by examining what they do in high school. Get a kid with a big frame and long arms and then work on the details once you have him in the program.
This! In spades! I remember the lackeys here decrying the signing of 2* Bahktiari, who was more renowned for his lacrosse and who came in closer to 260 than 290. OL is absolutely the hardest position to predict coming out of HS. Too many factors go into it and the solid level competition in HS for big guys is so spotty: one week they face someone within 20 lbs. of their size; the next week its some half their size. Only in SEC country where everybody redshirts in Jr High or HS, is it easy.

Get well soon! Don't let it get you down. Have a fun senior year and get ready for the next level.

Oh, and maybe take another look at those Buffs! :)

This! In spades! I remember the lackeys here decrying the signing of 2* Bahktiari, who was more renowned for his lacrosse and who came in closer to 260 than 290. OL is absolutely the hardest position to predict coming out of HS. Too many factors go into it and the solid level competition in HS for big guys is so spotty: one week they face someone within 20 lbs. of their size; the next week its some half their size. Only in SEC country where everybody redshirts in Jr High or HS, is it easy.
to the bolded: no it's not. Tight end is by far the most difficult. Most high schools don't pass the ball much and the ones that do rarely use the tight end for anything other than pass pro. It's extremely rare to find legit tight ends in high school. Most TEs in college are smallish OL or tall WR who have the frame to put on a few pounds and play at the end of the line. Or were linebackers or fullbacks in high school.

to the bolded: no it's not. Tight end is by far the most difficult. Most high schools don't pass the ball much and the ones that do rarely use the tight end for anything other than pass pro. It's extremely rare to find legit tight ends in high school. Most TEs in college are smallish OL or tall WR who have the frame to put on a few pounds and play at the end of the line. Or were linebackers or fullbacks in high school.
Pretty easy to project tight ends on athleticism, strength and frame. That's why athletes that convert from other sports mostly end up there.

Actually, QB is the hardest position. But, whatever. It's simply hard to project how someone will respond to the new environment, level of commitment, and level of competition at the next level regardless of position. With the HS-to-college evaluation, it gets a little harder because you're throwing in a best guess on how much of their "man growth" they have left.

Pretty easy to project tight ends on athleticism, strength and frame. That's why athletes that convert from other sports mostly end up there.
Agree to disagree. "Projecting" a high school linebacker or fullback as a college tight end is a crap shoot.

Actually, QB is the hardest position. But, whatever. It's simply hard to project how someone will respond to the new environment, level of commitment, and level of competition at the next level regardless of position. With the HS-to-college evaluation, it gets a little harder because you're throwing in a best guess on how much of their "man growth" they have left.
Yeah, but at least those kids played the position in high school. Tight ends in college were more often than not playing a different position in high school. Daniel Grahams are very, very rare. There are dozens of QBs every year that we know will play QB.

Anyway, wishing Moretti the best. Sounds like Ohio State is honoring the commitment.

I'd seen the story in The Post this morning and didn't realize his knee thing had happened a while back.

Last edited:
Back