What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'17 FL OLB Santino Marchiol (Verbal to Texas A&M)

There was some talk earlier in this thread about his size. Anybody have an idea of how big he is now and whether he’ll be a linebacker or down lineman here?

Two sought after scholarship kids from the 2017 class now part of the team as walk-ons, both of whom really help the talent and depth in the front seven this season.

I also like the idea of building a relationship with the Marchiol family.
I would suggest inviting them to dinner.

Seems like a low risk move. If it works out, then we have a good player who ads talent and depth on defense while solidifying a relationship with the largest program in the state. If it doesn’t work out, there’s no scholarship tied up and the goodwill gained from giving him a chance at redemption remains.

I just always heard he lacked the athleticism to play backer in a P5 conference but he is a big strong dude. There were some worrisome 40 times for him in high school, think Gamboa number there but he was playing well for a freshman at A$M. Either way as a walk on you don’t aren’t counting on him to be a starter or every down player so he should be able to provide some good size and stoutness against those teams like Washington, Stanford, Oregon, etc.

Not sure what happened recently but I heard he was going somewhere on Florida’s schedule so good move by the staff to get him as a walk on. Should be a good opportunity for him to prove himself and maybe get a scholly in a year or two.

Can anybody say for sure if Santino and Nicco would actually be on the same team at the same time? There’s a five year difference. Does Santino have four years of eligibility remaining?

Wow. Santino has definitely had a wild ride. Has tons of talent but I hope the staff moves on quickly if/when an issue arises.

I am guessing his family wants him close to home

Can anybody say for sure if Santino and Nicco would actually be on the same team at the same time? There’s a five year difference. Does Santino have four years of eligibility remaining?
I assume he used a RS year at A&M, which should leave him with 3 years left. If that's the case, the 2021 season would be his final year of eligibility and Nicco is a 2022 recruit, so it doesn't appear they would be here at the same time. The next 3 years with Santino in Boulder is the most important part for that recruitment, though.

Except if he is walking on then it doesn't cost us a scholly.

If he shows he belongs he gets one, if not he moves on again.
He should never recieve a scholly, ever. He is getting a chance to EARN his way back to a SPORT that he chooses to play.
His dream is to play in the NFL, so that is still there for him. He's getting to go to a quality school, so that's still there for him.
Everything is still there for him, He gave that privilege away and this should be a great learning tool for other young men. He is lucky to
have family that can afford his schooling.

He should never recieve a scholly, ever. He is getting a chance to EARN his way back to a SPORT that he chooses to play.
His dream is to play in the NFL, so that is still there for him. He's getting to go to a quality school, so that's still there for him.
Everything is still there for him, He gave that privilege away and this should be a great learning tool for other young men. He is lucky to
I think that’s a little harsh. Yes, he needs to earn it, but I would stop short of saying be can’t ever earn a scholarship.

Yeah, have to agree with NotSure on this one man. I think the ways he left A&M and Arizona are ****ed up...shows a lot of entitlement and narrowed-mindedness, in addition to many other negative adjectives. And you're right that he's blessed to have a family that can help support him through the ****-ups of his youth. But, if Coach Tucker can forgive and overlook his mistakes to bring him on, who am I to be annoyed with his actions. If he were on scholly, sure, we can all debate, but he's a walk-on with the chance to earn a scholly with quality play and citizenship. Yes, calling black teammates monkeys is moronic... ...but as with all things on black/white racial lines, I defer to my black friends' opinions, or in this case, my HC.

Tucker seems to be a most anti-entitlement kind of guy. Even established vets were told they have to work and improve to play.

What he did was disgusting and he deserved to lose his spot on his team and the benefits that go with it. To my knowledge all he did though was show ignorance and a lack of awareness and understanding. He didn't do physical damage to anyone, he wasn't involved in DV or things that outside of the world of football would be potential felonies.

Paying your way for a year at a school like Colorado is a serious consequence and commitment. I can guarantee that in a year with the team, that he is paying for, his teammates and his coaches will get a very good understanding of who he is at heart.

I am pretty sure that MT isn't going to put up with anyone or anything that would divide his team because of racism or other lack of awareness and respect for others. If that is truly who he is now (If he hasn't learned from his mistakes) then he will be here for no more than a year.

Beyond that if he can prove that he belongs as a positive part of the team both on and off the field then saying he should never get a scholarship is ridiculously harsh. You don't think that 18-22 year old young men don't make mistakes and are able to learn from them? You don't think that he can redeem himself?

It's all on him but if he proves himself to be worthy then absolutely he should have a shot at a scholarship. I will trust Mel Tucker and his staff with that decision completely.

I can accept giving a kid a chance since it's Mel Tucker making the decision here. I wouldn't have been willing to be welcoming if the decision had been made by a white head coach. Maybe not a fair way for me to look at it, but that's how I feel both from a personal level (who am I to question HCMT on this issue?) and the other levels (locker room division, court of public opinion heat, etc.).

It's funny that kids are always commended on how savy they are in this social age, yet when they screw up no consequences. He didn't dv or hurt anyone? That's not really the point, and I'll bet their are some people who disagree with that outlook. I want the young man to have great success in his life, sometimes life lessons need to be tough. He will still be able to achieve his dreams, nothing wrong with him and his teammates learning from this.
As far as racial matters go, my black friends expect me to say something without their lead. Wrong is wrong. No one here knows me but I am the least PC person you'll meet, it's just who I am.

It's funny that kids are always commended on how savy they are in this social age, yet when they screw up no consequences. He didn't dv or hurt anyone? That's not really the point, and I'll bet their are some people who disagree with that outlook. I want the young man to have great success in his life, sometimes life lessons need to be tough. He will still be able to achieve his dreams, nothing wrong with him and his teammates learning from this.
As far as racial matters go, my black friends expect me to say something without their lead. Wrong is wrong. No one here knows me but I am the least PC person you'll meet, it's just who I am.
Bob?

I can accept giving a kid a chance since it's Mel Tucker making the decision here. I wouldn't have been willing to be welcoming if the decision had been made by a white head coach.
Sums up pretty well my thoughts on the situation. Now the ball in young Mr. Marchiol's court. He has the opportunity to live down his actions and demonstrate he can be a real teammate.

Back