What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'17 JC DT Javier Edwards (Signed to COLORADO)

Is he an upgrade over Tupou?

I don't think so but he isn't a downgrade either, and we are talking about replacing a guy who I think will be on an NFL roster next season.

Am very happy that we now have a NT who should be a force for the next two years.

He scored one touchdown in 2016, which came in a 63-49 win over No. 15 Itawamba Community College when he stripped an ICC receiver of the ball and raced 66 yards into the end zone.
How is this even possible?

He converted fat to muscle.
Proof.

build-muscle-and-lose-fat-at-the-same-time.jpg

Carrell was a JAG his first year at CU, as well. I think Javier turns into a dude in 2018.
I don't know. Javier was a weight room warrior going into this year too, but it didn't stop him from getting blown off the ball most of the time. I wonder if it's just an aggression deficit.

Its technique, he gets stood up especially when he is tired.

That last part is especially true. I think his issue was more of a conditioning problem than it was a strength problem. The good news is he seems like a young man who is committed to doing the work he needs to do to improve, and hopefully it pays big dividends in the upcoming season.

Its technique, he gets stood up especially when he is tired.

This plus with the extra weight he had a lot of trouble getting off the ball and out of his stance. He was far to often being engaged by the center before he ever got up and ready. Because of this centers could use his weight against him.

Disappointing because if you watch his Juco tapes he was actually pretty quick at the LOS and would fire off and be in position to use his hands to shed, something we didn't see much last year.

This plus with the extra weight he had a lot of trouble getting off the ball and out of his stance. He was far to often being engaged by the center before he ever got up and ready. Because of this centers could use his weight against him.

Disappointing because if you watch his Juco tapes he was actually pretty quick at the LOS and would fire off and be in position to use his hands to shed, something we didn't see much last year.

That was a highlight tape. I'm much less interested in highlights than EVERY plat at NT. If the guy doesn't hold up, it's a plus play for the offense.

I don't know. Javier was a weight room warrior going into this year too, but it didn't stop him from getting blown off the ball most of the time. I wonder if it's just an aggression deficit.
I'm not necessarily just talking about being physically strong in the weight room. I feel like these JUCO kids are viewed as Pac 12 ready in year one simply because they are older than an incoming Freshman, when the reality is, JUCOs are often on the same competition level or lower than some of the top tier high schools in the country. It takes time to adapt and I think we've seen that play out with most of our JUCO recruits the past few years. I expect Javier to be in better shape next season, but also be more comfortable in the defense, have a better relationship with teammates and coaches, and have adapted to the speed/competitiveness of the Pac 12.

I'm not necessarily just talking about being physically strong in the weight room. I feel like these JUCO kids are viewed as Pac 12 ready in year one simply because they are older than an incoming Freshman, when the reality is, JUCOs are often on the same competition level or lower than some of the top tier high schools in the country. It takes time to adapt and I think we've seen that play out with most of our JUCO recruits the past few years. I expect Javier to be in better shape next season, but also be more comfortable in the defense, have a better relationship with teammates and coaches, and have adapted to the speed/competitiveness of the Pac 12.

Worked out that way for carrell, jackson and witherspoon.

Well if he drops 20lbs this off season and gets his conditioning, he may suprise and be the guy we thought we were getting.
I feel compelled to respond to this post as the most positive thing I've read in a long time from Syko! Well done! That didn't hurt, did it?

I feel compelled to respond to this post as the most positive thing I've read in a long time from Syko! Well done! That didn't hurt, did it?

Dude, it's KILLING me....

Come on man, I have some positive posts, but CU not taking advantage of last year in all aspects really ****es me off.

Recruiting wise, I feel like we have turned into kansas state with all the juco attention and commits.

Love our db and wr recruiting, just hope there's another coaching change on defensive staff and we close strong.

That was a highlight tape. I'm much less interested in highlights than EVERY plat at NT. If the guy doesn't hold up, it's a plus play for the offense.

Don't disagree at all, NT is a position that requires results on every play but the highlights matter in showing what a guy should be able to do. Last year Javier couldn't do those things because of his size and being out of shape. Wouldn't be any different that watching highlights on a RB creating big plays with some shake then coming in 35lbs heavy and not being able to use that shake to beat tacklers. (Not going to mention a certain 5* RB we had back in the Hawkins days.)

Javier looks very much like a guy who would be a significantly better player if he were in better shape and not hauling around a bunch of extra weight. I want him to be consistent but I would also like to see him make some plays, something we didn't see last year.

Last year he reminded me of Gilbert Brown in the SB against the Broncos. I think he was just not in shape and too heavy. Thats me though. Agree technique is part of it. He wouldnt be the first player ive seen where their technique turns to crap once they get tired. Im not just talking about players on the lines either.

Last edited:
Back