What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'19 CO C Drake Nugent (Signed to Stanford)

You have to think that the staff have talked to all the top in state kids. I wonder if this kid said straight up that he wouldn’t come?
Was looking for a CU offer and Austin Johnson was lobbying for him to get one. CU was in great position here.

Not sure what CU's exact take on him is, but I can tell you for a fact he is NOT 6-2. Might have something to do with it. <shrug>

Not sure what CU's exact take on him is, but I can tell you for a fact he is NOT 6-2. Might have something to do with it. <shrug>
It may be that CU has specific physical standards they are looking for in their OL now, but Stanford saw him in person and decided he was physically good enough for an offer, so I'm rolling my eyes if that's the case with CU.

I hope his height didn't play a major part in it i.e. after watching the program run off everyone's favorite full-back (Kai Maiva). As a refresh, Kai played at Colorado as a true freshman in 2007. During his first season, he was moved from guard to fullback due to height concerns (he was under 6', not the 6'1" he was listed at). Kai transferred to UCLA, where he became their starting center and named to the Rimington Trophy watch list after playing one season at center, his RS sophomore year.

In a perfect world, you'd want a player with both the size and talent. Honestly though, I could give a rat's ass how tall a guy is if he can play.

Yes, but that was several staffs ago. Really has no relevance to current staff.
The relevance, as I see it, is that it shoots a huge hole in the argument for having certain requirements on measurables. Running Kai off screwed up the CU OL for the 3 years that followed. We had talent, but didn't have an OC to anchor the group.

Stanford plays the kind of ball I wish we played again at CU. Nugent is perfect for their smashmouth offense. He would struggle in the Air Raid type offense we seem to covet.

If our coaches can win with that offense, I'm cool with decisions like this. IF we win. I seriously doubt we can consistently win with a finesse team in Boulder. If I'm right, hopefully the next staff will get that done.

The relevance, as I see it, is that it shoots a huge hole in the argument for having certain requirements on measurables. Running Kai off screwed up the CU OL for the 3 years that followed. We had talent, but didn't have an OC to anchor the group.

As a side to that how we handled him also didn't do us any favors in terms of recruiting in the Polynesian community. It didn't shut us out but it certainly didn't help.

As a side to that how we handled him also didn't do us any favors in terms of recruiting in the Polynesian community. It didn't shut us out but it certainly didn't help.
Still is 11 years and two staffs in the past. Handled badly as it was there has been time to correct that mistake. It’s not his mishandled situation that’s the issue. It’s no poly coaches NOW.

Ideally you want your center to be like 6-4 or whatever, but we're CU. We're not going to get ideal recruits at every position like Alabama or something. Tough, hardnosed kids who love the game of football and have the skill to succeed should get a chance here, even if they don't fit the mold. See: Lindsay, Phillip.

In the words of Billy Beane, we're not selling jeans here. I don't really care what size a kid is tbh.

At the end of the day, the low man wins. Center require leverage, tend to be smaller and don't require the same bulk as they are constantly doubling with guards on the nose or a 0/1 technique. I'd argue centers on average are 6'1-6'3", max in the pros. 6'4" is tall and you'll rarely see it. Probably too tall for passing windows. Centers are generally 6'1-6'3", guards, 6'2-6'5", tackles, 6'3"-6'8".

Nugent listed as 6'2", he's probably 6' or 6'1". His offer list is impressive. When i see him on film, i don't see much in the pass sets but he's a guy that can move and get to the 2nd level. Competition he's going against doesn't seem very good. Looks like a good athlete evidence by his DL football tape. Works to finish and doesn't have the best technique but tries to put people on their back. I like that he snaps and plays on special teams. You always need a long snapper.

Overall not blown away by his film. If the coaches eyeball him and he's short and don't see much there, wouldn't really care if we didn't offer him.

**** this current staff (Adams) for not even offering.

Congrats to Drake.

Always good to stay close to any Stanford commit if you're CU, though, because they tend to lose about 1/4 of their commitments after the academics folks do their hatchet job in late December.

So he is good enough for Stanford and at least 3 other PAC 12 programs plus some other P5 schools yet we couldn't be bothered with going after him. And that with our abundance of depth and talent in the OL (sarcasm font.)

This shows why we have finished last in our division every year but once and our coach is now fired.

If we were dominating on the OL I could understand it but my guess is that we would have won more games with Stanford's second unit than our first over the past few years.

And maybe Townsend from Ralston Valley, the Oregon commit?
That guy's a stud. I went down and watched RV play Creek in the semi's and he was really doing well against both the D-1 commits CC has on their OL. This guy is a legit 6'5" / 6'6" and 240-250. Looks like he could line up for Oregon next year. He looks the part for JL's Oregon DE's.

Back