What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'19 CO OT Alijah Bates (Signed to Arizona State)

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
247sports
ESPN
Rivals
hudl

Alijah-Bates-2019-CB-Elite-300x300.png

Doherty HS (Colorado Springs, CO)

Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlijahBates4450

Ht: 6'8"
Wt: 235
40:

247s rating: 3* - 81 grade; #168 OT
ESPN rating: 3* -75 grade; #113 OT
Rivals rating: 2* - 5.4rr; unranked OT

247sports Composite: 3* / 0.8256 / #153 OT / #1792 overall

Reported Offers: Arizona State, Utah State, Wyoming, FCS

Last edited:
What is going on with our in-state recruiting? How are we bypassing these guys and letting our conference foes come in and pull them out?

He had been seen as mostly a basketball prospect, but now it looks like he's drawing serious interest for football. A bit of a project for football, but the athleticism and height are pretty impressive for an OT.

Here are his hoops highlights from last year:

From CU, Jack Harris is following. So we do have some contact. Also, he is connected with McChesney so I'm sure that our coaches know about him.

This is one case where offering a gray shirt scholarship would make a ton of sense to me. Give him an extra year to gain football weight and strength.

Eh... I think the board would (justifiably) freak out if we had offered Bates. He is REALLY raw as a football player.

Also, an ASU offer means next to nothing to me right now.

He may turn out to be very good but he looks like the kind of guy many on this board were upset about signing over the past few years.

He will need at least two full years just to get his weight close to P5 level. And you are spot on with the ASU offer. They are getting desperate.

From CU, Jack Harris is following. So we do have some contact. Also, he is connected with McChesney so I'm sure that our coaches know about him.

This is one case where offering a gray shirt scholarship would make a ton of sense to me. Give him an extra year to gain football weight and strength.

Would be interested to see how he looks after his senior year.

I love the positional flexibility with some players....and with his athleticism, could he be a beast of a TE? a la Quinn Sypniewski?

I love the positional flexibility with some players....and with his athleticism, could he be a beast of a TE? a la Quinn Sypniewski?
I have no idea about this kid in particular, but you usually see TEs transitioning to OL, not the other way around. Playing TE requires a high level of athleticism and being able to catch. Those skill sets don't usually swing both ways.

I have no idea about this kid in particular, but you usually see TEs transitioning to OL, not the other way around. Playing TE requires a high level of athleticism and being able to catch. Those skill sets don't usually swing both ways.
You are correct in moving from TE to OT, but here in Colorado there is no way you don't put a 6'8" kid at OT.

I was thinking the same...but I thought I read that he is a heck of a basketball player...could be an uncommon switch, I could be barking up the wrong tree. Either way, I would be stoked to see a physical project like him at the Tackle spot, a la Nate Solder

Doherty is the same school Lammarr Houston went to. He went on to play for Texas and is now currently playing for the Bears. I remember watching Lammarr opening a can of whip-ass against CU's online in a 2008 game at Folsom......guy was a beast.

What is going on with our in-state recruiting? How are we bypassing these guys and letting our conference foes come in and pull them out?
I'd have a little trouble offering a kid who is this raw and is only 235 to play OT. I think we'd all be rightfully worried about offering him this early.

Back