What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'19 German DT Joseph Appiah Darkwa (Signed to Penn State)

WasianCU

Club Member
Club Member
247sports
ESPN
Rivals
hudl

i_UrKe3Z_400x400.jpg

Düsseldorf Panther (Düsseldorf, Germany)

Twitter: https://twitter.com/DarkwaAppiah
Instagram:

Ht: 6'5"
Wt: 260
40:

247s rating: 3* - 85 grade; #75 DT
ESPN rating:
Rivals rating: 2* - 5.4rr; unranked DT

247sports Composite: 3* / 0.8305 rating / #107 DT / #1659 overall

Reported Offers: COLORADO, Cincinnati, Connecticut, Georgia Tech, Indiana, Rutgers, UCLA, Virginia, FCS Offers

Last edited:
This international recruiting direction that CU seems to be embracing is both exciting and scary to me. High risk/ high reward. Has the potential of putting us over the top with NFL talent we'd be less likely to be able to sign if the same player was playing in California. Also has the potential of having too many developmental guys on the roster with a high percentage turning out to be busts.

Personally, I like rolling the dice a bit. Much more interesting to take risk while pursuing greatness instead of simply signing a bunch of 3* "just a guy" types who everyone knew about and no one in the P5 was particularly excited about.

This international recruiting direction that CU seems to be embracing is both exciting and scary to me. High risk/ high reward. Has the potential of putting us over the top with NFL talent we'd be less likely to be able to sign if the same player was playing in California. Also has the potential of having too many developmental guys on the roster with a high percentage turning out to be busts.

Personally, I like rolling the dice a bit. Much more interesting to take risk while pursuing greatness instead of simply signing a bunch of 3* "just a guy" types who everyone knew about and no one in the P5 was particularly excited about.
I'd rather have blue chips...but who wouldn't.

another guy who looks like he could develop. right now, given what we saw in the championship game last night, i think we have to roll the dice on a few guys like this.

Michalowski's hiring is a good sign they're expanding their scope there.

Düsseldorf Panther is where Sebastian Vollmer started his career.

Looks to have a big frame. I love the beef MT is looking to add. At the very least CU will have some big boys and be physical.

I like the idea, with a couple qualifies. First, it needs to be 1 or 2 max per class. Regardless of the potential any more than that in given year, combined with the stateside "miss" rate = potential for large roster holes. Second, we have to be in the mode of moving guys out if they don't develop as we expect. Whether that is finding lower level opportunities for them to move to, is simply retiring guys and letting them finish school, we have to be in that mindset. It will rub some wrong, but we are trying to win not run an athletic welfare system. To that end I would be interested to know what say Alabama does with a soph who isn't cutting it. Little apples and oranges bc they are more desirable.

Michalowski's hiring is a good sign they're expanding their scope there.

Düsseldorf Panther is where Sebastian Vollmer started his career.
Michalowski's two most recent follows
Roberto Miranda
@Roberto47970044 ‏
Athlete 6´3 220 lbs Berlin Rebels Highlights:

Magnus Møller
@MagnusMller16 ‏
Class of 2022, 15 years old, 260 lbs, 6'8, 3.8 GPA, OT/TE, Triangle Razorbacks Captain, Denmark

Roberto Miranda
@Roberto47970044 ‏

Magnus Møller
@MagnusMller16 ‏
Class of 2022, 15 years old, 260 lbs, 6'8, 3.8 GPA, OT/TE, Triangle Razorbacks Captain, Denmark

Magnus is a great name for a giant.

I like the idea, with a couple qualifies. First, it needs to be 1 or 2 max per class. Regardless of the potential any more than that in given year, combined with the stateside "miss" rate = potential for large roster holes. Second, we have to be in the mode of moving guys out if they don't develop as we expect. Whether that is finding lower level opportunities for them to move to, is simply retiring guys and letting them finish school, we have to be in that mindset. It will rub some wrong, but we are trying to win not run an athletic welfare system. To that end I would be interested to know what say Alabama does with a soph who isn't cutting it. Little apples and oranges bc they are more desirable.
Where I believe that Colorado has to be very different than Alabama (apples and oranges) is with program culture. It won't work here if the culture is a "football is your life and this is a business" type approach the way Bama and some of the other elites run things. We have to build more like the Dabo culture we see at Clemson where the first priority is to connect as people and coach from the heart. Fortunately, it sounds like that is Tucker's greatest strength as a leader -- getting guys to run through the wall for him and being able to be really tough on them because he's coming from a place of love for them. So I agree that with taking risks there has to be a willingness to cut bait on losses, but it can't be done with a heartless business approach as if CU was an NFL franchise. At CU, it has to be like Clemson for both players and coaches -- you come and you stay because it's a true family and the HC will always have your back even when it means he's making tough decisions for the team which mean that you may not like your role and would transfer out with that same HC and staff helping you as much as they can to find the best opportunity.

Where I believe that Colorado has to be very different than Alabama (apples and oranges) is with program culture. It won't work here if the culture is a "football is your life and this is a business" type approach the way Bama and some of the other elites run things. We have to build more like the Dabo culture we see at Clemson where the first priority is to connect as people and coach from the heart. Fortunately, it sounds like that is Tucker's greatest strength as a leader -- getting guys to run through the wall for him and being able to be really tough on them because he's coming from a place of love for them. So I agree that with taking risks there has to be a willingness to cut bait on losses, but it can't be done with a heartless business approach as if CU was an NFL franchise. At CU, it has to be like Clemson for both players and coaches -- you come and you stay because it's a true family and the HC will always have your back even when it means he's making tough decisions for the team which mean that you may not like your role and would transfer out with that same HC and staff helping you as much as they can to find the best opportunity.
Great point as evidenced by the QB change he made. After that move he was nothing but positive about that kid, even after their team was left in a bad spot for the Syracuse game. So our coaches, or I guess mostly MT, need to create an accountability + love standard. And I suspect a big part of that is being upfront from the start of the recruiting process, especially with those Euro kids. Tell them exactly what it is you expect from them, and the potential consequences if they fail to meet expectations. Salesmanship with integrity. All we have to do is start winning more and it will be fine. Bc that really is the rub. Dabo can do it his way bc they win. If he was winning 5-7 games a year no one would care about his human approach (I'm a cynic I know).

Roberto Miranda
@Roberto47970044 ‏

Magnus Møller
@MagnusMller16 ‏

Magnus “The Mauler” Møller. I like it.

Back