What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2 New Commits!?

I love rolling the dice. I should share my stock portfolio with you. But Embo and EB are really taking a risky approach. Hope desperation has not set in....

Probably I am just drinking the Embree-EB Kool-Aid but this is my theory: It is freaking hard to get a lot of out of state blue chip prospects to commit to a team that hasn't had a winning record in several years, regardless of how good a recruiter you are. So, what JE and EB are trying do is get 4* caliber talent that are under the radar but very well could be high in demand from other Pac-12/BCS caliber teams by signing day.

In the future we will have more luck, if we have success on the field and we do make some of these investments the AD is talking about in facilities, etc. and they can go after the obvious blue chippers from the big time programs.

I think the other thing is JE seems to be be more focused on players that fit his desired profile-hard-nosed, physical kids who eat, live and breath the game, but also do well in the classroom, etc. Not all BCS coaches use the same screens he does.

I have faith in JE and EB and I think we all owe them the benefit of the doubt through the 2013 season.

Like Yuri Wright, Kenneth Crawley, Shane Dillon, Powell, Jagne, Solis, Payne, etc?

Those guys might be good, but we've got 85 scholarship players not 7. From a staff whose recruiting prowess was supposed to help offset lack of experience...yes, I expected fewer "late bloomers" and "under the radar" prospects with no other BCS offers.

say what you want about under the radar,etc, but only 1 of our commits has an offer from a major conference team. I know it's early, but with a small class we're filing up with all under the radar types. Hope the coaches can evaulate talent better than all the other coaches from major conferences.

I'll root for these guys, but I wish we were beating out some PAC 12 or Big 12 teams in the recruiting wars.

What's confusing for anyone who follows recruiting is that we knew there were a maximum of 2 WRs being taken in this class. If those spots were filled in June, the expectation was that they'd be taken up by guys that half the Big 12 or Pac-12 were after. Dunston and Bobo look like fine players and they definitely were garnering interest from some of our on-field competitors, but this was surprising that we'd choose to end our WR recruiting this early with more under the radar types. Doesn't mean that they won't be great players and it does show how high our coaches were on them, but... it's surprising.

:nod:

It is also the numbers in general. We are now sitting at 9 commits and the numbers at certain positions are getting really tight. Plus we have the coaches running a satellite camp in San Diego and then the main camp in Boulder next month. What happens if they see some players they really like (a reasonable assumption)? I guess it will be interesting to see how it all plays out, but it really seems like there is not much wriggle room at several positions now.

It is also the numbers in general. We are now sitting at 9 commits and the numbers at certain positions are getting really tight. Plus we have the coaches running a satellite camp in San Diego and then the main camp in Boulder next month. What happens if they see some players they really like (a reasonable assumption)? I guess it will be interesting to see how it all plays out, but it really seems like there is not much wriggle room at several positions now.

Offensively, we're almost done now. Maybe 2 more OL (I think the 6-7 number was too aggressive), and the second TE we seem to be looking for, and that's about it.

What a bunch of drama queens. You guys don't know jack **** about recruiting/talent/astro physics.

I've seen a lot of film in my day... these guys both have talent. There is no doubt about it. Measurables and play making ability. Dunston has legit deep threat speed. I'm also pretty sure that if EB has a Percy Harvin role in this offense, both Gerald Thomas and Dunston could play it.

In regards to Bobo, the guy is slippery and has underrated speed and quicks.

I feel pretty confident that we got two pretty solid players. It will take several years to find out but I like what we did here. Some will piss and moan because... well... that's what they do.

I've seen a lot of film in my day... these guys both have talent. There is no doubt about it. Measurables and play making ability. Dunston has legit deep threat speed. I'm also pretty sure that if EB has a Percy Harvin role in this offense, both Gerald Thomas and Dunston could play it.

In regards to Bobo, the guy is slippery and has underrated speed and quicks.

I feel pretty confident that we got two pretty solid players. It will take several years to find out but I like what we did here. Some will piss and moan because... well... that's what they do.

Five stars or bust.

I was a little disappointed that we took a class bigger than 28 last year and had to greyshirt 3 after we got some late commits from guys we were really high on. I don't want to see us turning into a greyshirt factory.

It's a little early to see how desperation has set it. If this was October or later, I could see these as desperation commits. The only thing I can think of is that the staff has made a determined effort to say to hell with the stars and offer lists, we're putting together our board the way we see fit.

I was a little disappointed that we took a class bigger than 28 last year and had to greyshirt 3 after we got some late commits from guys we were really high on. I don't want to see us turning into a greyshirt factory.

It's a little early to see how desperation has set it. If this was October or later, I could see these as desperation commits. The only thing I can think of is that the staff has made a determined effort to say to hell with the stars and offer lists, we're putting together our board the way we see fit.

No. These were guys that the coaches had known about for a while and wanted to see more of. In Dunston's case, he even came to our Junior Day. Both have been killing it in camps and 7on tourneys this spring/summer. Accepting these commitments was more a matter of not being in a position of taking desperation commitments in October or later. They're good players.

Hopefully these situations are like Erich Wilson. Most were crying when we took his commit, then upset when he decommitted to Udub

say what you want about under the radar,etc, but only 1 of our commits has an offer from a major conference team. I know it's early, but with a small class we're filing up with all under the radar types. Hope the coaches can evaulate talent better than all the other coaches from major conferences.

I'll root for these guys, but I wish we were beating out some PAC 12 or Big 12 teams in the recruiting wars.
What the hell are you talking about? I counted 4 BCS offers from the PAC 12, Big XII, ACC and the SEC.

Serious question (poll, anyone?): would you rather have 4 star recruit who didn't perform all that well in camps or a fewer stars to unrated recruit (that has the measurables) that performed great in camps?

Serious question (poll, anyone?): would you rather have 4 star recruit who didn't perform all that well in camps or a fewer stars to unrated recruit (that has the measurables) that performed great in camps?

I'd take the latter every time. If a 4* guy isn't living up to billing, it's probably because he peaked athletically as a junior.

Would be nice to land an "over the radar" prospect every once in a while.

This staff can't afford to recruit under-the-radar guys with the hopes of developing them by their red-shirt senior year (Year 6). Embree doesn't have that much time.

Years 1-3 will all be considered throw-away years considering the Hawkins debacle. That means in Year 4, a program that hasn't produced in a decade will have to produce in order for Bohn to extend. No key injuries, no excuses, and no 'misses' on QB from Year 2. Margins for success are awfully thin.

Now put yourself in Bohn's position. CU just dumped a 100mil in stadium renovations and a monster practice facility to rival Oregon (who pays for players). You have copious amounts of money rolling in from the pac12, you have pressure from CSU printing fake money in a desperate attempt to be relevant, and college football is killing off legit ACC/BigEast type programs left and right to create an elite division.

Would you extend your .333-winning-percentage, nationally-unknown coach? Or would you throw around SEC-type money to hire a shiny new coach?

To bring it full circle: yes, it would be nice for Embree land an over-the-radar player. Thanks for entertaining my prognostications.

Run Ralphie!

Last edited:
Just counted 5.

I guess if you count Duke, it's a total of 5 offers for all of the 10 commits. Woohoo! My point stands.

Bobo - 0 BCS conference offers
Dunston - 0 BCS conference offers
Huckins - 1 BCS offer (that is if you count Iowa St)
Kronshage - 0 BCS offers (sorry, I'm not counting Duke)
Lindsay - 1 BCS offer (Utah)
Lisella - 0 BCS conference offers
Parsons - 1 BCS offer (Mississippi)
Sutton - 0 BCS conference offers
Trammel - 1 BCS offer (Arizona)

I guess if you count Duke, it's a total of 5 offers for all of the 10 commits. Woohoo! My point stands.

Bobo - 0 BCS conference offers
Dunston - 0 BCS conference offers
Huckins - 1 BCS offer (that is if you count Iowa St)
Kronshage - 0 BCS offers (sorry, I'm not counting Duke)
Lindsay - 1 BCS offer (Utah)
Lisella - 0 BCS conference offers
Parsons - 1 BCS offer (Mississippi)
Sutton - 0 BCS conference offers
Trammel - 1 BCS offer (Arizona)
It is ****ing June scarlett.

This staff can't afford to recruit under-the-radar guys with the hopes of developing them by their red-shirt senior year (Year 6). Embree doesn't have that much time.

Years 1-3 will all be considered throw-away years considering the Hawkins debacle. That means in Year 4, a program that hasn't produced in a decade will have to produce in order for Bohn to extend. No key injuries, no excuses, and no 'misses' on QB from Year 2. Margins for success are awfully thin.

Now put yourself in Bohn's position. CU just dumped a 100mil in stadium renovations and a monster practice facility to rival Oregon (who pays for players). You have copious amounts of money rolling in from the pac12, you have pressure from CSU printing fake money in a desperate attempt to be relevant, and college football is killing off legit ACC/BigEast type programs left and right to create an elite division.

Would you extend your .333-winning-percentage, nationally-unknown coach? Or would you throw around SEC-type money to hire a shiny new coach?

To bring it full circle: yes, it would be nice for Embree land an over-the-radar player. Thanks for entertaining my prognostications.

Run Ralphie!

Bohn will never fire Embree. ADs rarely get to hire 3 football coaches. If Embree doesn't get it done, Bohn will not be the one hiring his replacement.

Can we not talk about firing Embree? Damn sometimes it's like some of you expect CU to fail at football.

Back