What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'20 CO OT Andrew Gentry (Signed to Virginia)

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
247sports
ESPN
Rivals
hudl

7523571.jpg

Columbine HS (Littleton, CO)

Twitter: https://twitter.com/a_gentry75

Ht: 6'8"
Wt: 290
40:

247s rating: 4* - 94 grade; #10 OT (#86 overall)
ESPN rating: 4* - 84 grade; #12 OT (#79 overall)
Rivals rating: 4* - 6.0rr; #9 OT (#65 overall)

247s Composite: 4* / 0.9714 / #6 OT / #59 overall

Reported Offers: COLORADO, Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, BYU, Cal, CSU, Kansas State, LSU, Miami, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Oregon, Penn State, Tennessee, Texas A&M, USC, Utah, Virginia, Washington State, Wisconsin

Last edited:
Another member of McChesney's Dungeon Family.

Gentry took an unofficial visit to CU last spring with one of his Columbine teammates and he returned to Boulder to watch a handful of the Buffs' games in 2017.

"The facilities at CU are extremely nice and their coaching staff seems really cool," he said. "CU is a pretty good program. They said they are interested and they are watching me closely. They came to a couple of our games this year so I look forward to hearing more from them."
In the classroom, Gentry maintains an impressive 4.4 grade point average.

Read more: https://247sports.com/college/color...ndrew-Gentry-Talks-Early-Recruiting-112916538

Sounds like it's a pretty devout LDS family, so I'd expect a one- or two-year mission before he enrolls in college. This one's a long way out right now.

Don't mind waiting for kids to return from their missions.

Certainly looks the part. Hard to pull some LDS kids away from BYU but we have the advantage of being close to home and family.

Ever once in a while, a Colorado kid comes along that is a game changing recruit. I’d surmise that he is at the very top of the list for the coaches. We need this kid at CU.

Tough to get excited about a kid who won't step on a field until 2022 but dam he looks like a future 5 star.

With our oline this is the kind of guy who comes in and starts as a true freshmen.
I’d tap the brakes just a bit there. Ideally, every incoming OL redshirts. Just that one year in the S&C program produces huge results. There are always exceptions to the rule, but as good as he is, I’d still prefer he have a year in the program before he plays on Saturdays.

I’d tap the brakes just a bit there. Ideally, every incoming OL redshirts. Just that one year in the S&C program produces huge results. There are always exceptions to the rule, but as good as he is, I’d still prefer he have a year in the program before he plays on Saturdays.
I’d agree. Ideally every incoming freshmen would redshirt. The reality is coaches need to win and will play the best players. Our oline has historically been awful so it’s hard to believe this kid couldn’t play right away.

Why? If he's top 5, he plays. If he isn't one of those exceptions, he Redshirts. If he's good enough in year 1, there won't be a year 4, never mind a year 5.

I honestly hope we are on a place where we don’t need a Freshman to come in and play from day one. I did say there are exceptions (funny how people never pick up on that nuance), but I hope he’s not one. I hope he’s great, and that the guys that are three and four years older than him have a handle on the starting job.

Why? If he's top 5, he plays. If he isn't one of those exceptions, he Redshirts. If he's good enough in year 1, there won't be a year 4, never mind a year 5.

Bingo. I do not agree at all that there some "ideal" situation where all freshmen redshirt. You do not play them all obviously, but you need to play some, every year. Part of the reason players are rated 4* or 5* players is because they are college-ready from the moment they step on campus. The very top programs rely on true freshmen to make big impacts every single year for a reason.

Yep. The main advantage of landing top recruits is that they’re physically ready to play sooner.

Bingo. I do not agree at all that there some "ideal" situation where all freshmen redshirt. You do not play them all obviously, but you need to play some, every year. Part of the reason players are rated 4* or 5* players is because they are college-ready from the moment they step on campus. The very top programs rely on true freshmen to make big impacts every single year for a reason.

Yes, this is one of those exception to the rules situations.

If he is one of your top 7-9 linemen he plays assuming he is physically able to hold up and he wouldn't be a 5* if he wasn't.

Ideally he starts but even if he doesn't you play him as much as you can assuming that he will be a full time starter the next 3 years.

I stick with what I said: ideally, you redshirt incoming OL. If you find yourself in a spot where an 18 year old fresh out of high school is your best option at either tackle position, you have been doing it wrong.

I honestly hope we are on a place where we don’t need a Freshman to come in and play from day one. I did say there are exceptions (funny how people never pick up on that nuance), but I hope he’s not one. I hope he’s great, and that the guys that are three and four years older than him have a handle on the starting job.

Hope in one hand and **** in the other. Tell me which one fills up faster. We definitely aren’t in any kind of place to do anything. We’re a below ave program right now that has had a few recent bright spots. We need to get to that place but we aren’t even close.

Alabama and Clemson have both started true freshmen at LT in the last four years. Great programs rely on true freshmen every year.

Thanks, I went looking for this a little earlier and didn't have time to find the info.

Well, once we start recruiting guys that can start at Alabama and Clemson, then I might change my mind.

Think it's fairly safe to say that when a kid is getting offers from USC, Wisconsin, and the like he isn't a "developmental project."

If he comes in and needs the time you redshirt him but more likely you put him in the mix and challenge the older players not to get beat out for their spots.

I agree with Duff, Nik, etc. If a guy is ready physically as a freshman, especially when he's the better option, gotta do it. They have to be mentally ready as well, that is a huge part of it.

One of the most important recruits for 2020 for CU. Getting early offers from everyone. Recently added Oregon, Nebraska and Cal to his already impressive list.

Got to keep those OLs home like we've been seeing more of, because one position CO produces at an elite level is the OL. Should be the foundation of the CU program.

Back