What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'20 GA OT Jake Wray (SIGNED to COLORADO)

From past discussions, I had changed my thinking and was on board with more focused territories in recruiting, so when Tuck started offering kids in NC, GA, etc....I liked the confidence, but wasn't optimistic on results. I'm glad that we got results - hope it continues! It'd have been great if the CO linemen were more serious about us, but if guys like Wray are who we get instead - **** yeah.

I stated this before, but young people today are a lot more into spreading their wings and exploring the world. I think athletes are more and more willing to expand their horizons and go to schools far from home.

I assume reasons for that include being able to stay in touch with family and friends through social media and the fact that travel is cheap and easy these days.

It’s a fair discussion for sure, but theres just not much to talk about. They’re arbitrary rankings that we know are self fulfilling prophecies in many circumstances, but it’s not going to change. Until CU starts winning consistently, a player isn’t going to look quite as good when committing here, rather than tOSU, Bama, Clemson, etc.

True, wasn’t trying to open a can of worms. I saw the original 92 and I went to check something last night and saw the 89, found it odd. Either way, it’s a great get.

giphy.gif

From past discussions, I had changed my thinking and was on board with more focused territories in recruiting, so when Tuck started offering kids in NC, GA, etc....I liked the confidence, but wasn't optimistic on results. I'm glad that we got results - hope it continues! It'd have been great if the CO linemen were more serious about us, but if guys like Wray are who we get instead - **** yeah.
Kids like Wray was who the coaches had relationships with when they were back east. The longer the coaches are here and the more we win, the more top Colorado kids they will get.

Awesome get! Looks like he's got good hands, keeps his guy in front of him and has good vision. Super-stoked to see he's enrolling early, he's going to be a factor from the first snap next year.

A) There’s no “conspiracy against CU” but from the outside looking in they seem to favor recruits and schools scouting by bumping ratings artificially. You can call it a conspiracy if you like, that’s fine. I will firmly believe if he was committed to OSU his rating never changes. Until recruiting sites publish, “this is why his rating is changing” I have nothing to go on. It’s the off-season, what exactly are they rating him on? Did they over rate him to begin with? Why did that happen? Because he chose OSU so early? It’s just what I’ve seen, I don’t think anybody is claiming some conspiracy.
B) see C
C) Nope. They’re usually pretty spot on but it’s just a number, there’s more to a recruit than their ratings. Some end up sucking and some under rated excel.
D) have to

I would disagree that the rating are "pretty spot on." If Wray's offer list is close to legit then he is or should be a 4* prospect. I put a lot more weight on the offer list.

Usually the rating eventually move to conform to the offer list. Why in this case they would downgrade a guy who has an offer list like Wray makes little sense.

They have no reason to have a "conspiracy against CU" but I have noticed over the years that the bigger and more willing to spend the fan base is the more favorable some of the ratings become. Look at some of the 4* prospects who have flamed out in Lincoln.

I do wonder at times how the recruiting sites actually come up with their numbers. There is simply no way that they can take the time to grade multiple games by thousands of HS kids and come up with a consistent ranking. Beyond that even the coaches who's future depends on it make plenty of mistakes in trying to project what a 16-17 year old HS sophomore or junior is going to look like as a 20 year old college player.

Of interest I think it is fair to say that kids recruited to Alabama probably get the benefit of the doubt in the rankings. I went and looked at Rivals and saw that over the last 3 years Bama has had at least 3 kids per year below 4* in each class. Based on track record I think I'd take Sabin's opinion over the Rival's staff.

The interesting one is Jaylen Moody who Rivals rated as a 2* who played in every game but one last year for Bama and according to a local writer is expected to see real time on defense this year as a soph.

Bottom line is that if you are going to win the coaching staff needs to find and recruit guys who can play. If the rating services agree or not doesn't matter. What matters is results on the field.

HCMT has been around programs that recruited guys who can play, he knows what they look like. If he get them to come to CU then he is going to win a lot of games and be here for a long time.

Based on the class so far (including Wray) and the guys they are recruiting it looks like he is accomplishing what he needs to.

Look for Jake's older brother Max (an even larger physical specimen), who is a redshirt freshman at Ohio State and a 4* recruit, to seriously consider transferring to Boulder.

Ohio State has 4 OT commits in this 2020 class already including the #1 rated OT in the country.

Back