What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'20 NM WR Connor O'Toole (Signed to Utah)

Maybe, maybe not. Is he more Jordy Nelson or more Tyler McCullough?

Jordy Nelson was a 2* safety recruit with interest from KU and KSU. McCullough had offers from CU and New Mexico. O’Toole has offers from the #1 team in the country, Florida state, Big 12, Big10, and a good amount of schools out west. He doesn’t compare to either from a recruiting stand point.

Jordy Nelson was a 2* safety recruit with interest from KU and KSU. McCullough had offers from CU and New Mexico. O’Toole has offers from the #1 team in the country, Florida state, Big 12, Big10, and a good amount of schools out west. He doesn’t compare to either from a recruiting stand point.

. . . and Darrell Scott was a five star RB. Forgive me if I take a wait and see attitude towards a guy who played high school football in New Mexico.

. . . and Darrell Scott was a five star RB. Forgive me if I take a wait and see attitude towards a guy who played high school football in New Mexico.
Once again, do you understand commonalities in analogies? Scott played at one of the best high schools in California, doesn’t even make sense what your saying.

Once again, do you understand commonalities in analogies? Scott played at one of the best high schools in California, doesn’t even make sense what your saying.

I'm sorry you struggle with reading comprehension. My point is merely that a (probably) slow WR/small TE who played high school in New Mexico is not a sure bet to be a difference maker in the Pac 12, no matter what Florida State's (fired) coach believed. Utah already has a TE who killed us, if you remember. I would be surprised if O'Toole turned out to be better than Kuithe.

I'm sorry you struggle with reading comprehension. My point is merely that a (probably) slow WR/small TE who played high school in New Mexico is not a sure bet to be a difference maker in the Pac 12, no matter what Florida State's (fired) coach believed. Utah already has a TE who killed us, if you remember. I would be surprised if O'Toole turned out to be better than Kuithe.

He ran 10.70 in the 100 last spring. Speed is not an issue.

Since no one else will say it... It seems that you are falling victim to racial profiling here

Since no one else will say it... It seems that you are falling victim to racial profiling here

Not at all, my questions all have to do with the quality of his high school competition. He's tall and skinny, who knows how he'll fare against college DBs. I can almost guarantee that he didn't face many, or perhaps any, during his HS career. Seems strange that Flounder got so upset when I said he might not end up being as good as a pro bowl WR, and perhaps his career may look like a player who contributed only modestly late in his college career.

Not at all, my questions all have to do with the quality of his high school competition. He's tall and skinny, who knows how he'll fare against college DBs. I can almost guarantee that he didn't face many, or perhaps any, during his HS career. Seems strange that Flounder got so upset when I said he might not end up being as good as a pro bowl WR, and perhaps his career may look like a player who contributed only modestly late in his college career.
Questioning the competition is certainly fair game, and something I've done with the majority of Colorado skill players, but assuming he's slow, likely a TE in college, and comparing him to McCullough and Jordy Nelson begs the question...

Questioning the competition is certainly fair game, and something I've done with the majority of Colorado skill players, but assuming he's slow, likely a TE in college, and comparing him to McCullough and Jordy Nelson begs the question...

I went to high school in New Mexico. The best player on my high school football team was a couple years behind me. He started as a sophomore and regularly scorched defenses in high school. He attended CSU. Here are his stats:

YearSchoolConfClassPosGRecYdsAvgTDAttYdsAvgTDPlaysYdsAvgTD
ReceivingRushingScrimmage
1988Colorado StateWACWR61026826.821-8-8.001126023.62
*1990Colorado StateWACRB131331924.511214111.822546018.43
CareerColorado State2358725.531313310.223672020.05

So sure, maybe O'Toole is the next Darius Holland or Brian Uhrlacher, but I would be surprised.

As for comparing him to Nelson and McCullough, one was fast and one was less fast, I'm not quite sure where O'Toole falls on that spectrum.

Their current Sophomore TE. Kuithe killed us by himself Connor fits this mold. IMO this guy Is better than Kole Taylor

Questioning the level of competition is valid but based on his offer list I wouldn't let it concern me a lot. Some of those schools are able to be very selective in their offers, I trust in their opinions.

These days those opinions are also very likely based on seeing him in camps against higher quality competition. In New Mexico he may be getting off the line against some 145lb CBs but a few hour drive to a camp in Dallas or Houston and they can see him working off the line against multiple 4* DB prospects.

WR is a position for the Buffs that I don't worry about, we have quality and depth but I would have been very happy to add this guy to our group. Utah most likely got a good one.

Darrell Scott played high school football in New Mexico?

Back