What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2011 in-state Recruiting

In my opinion, Dorian Brown is a better prospect than Ameen Moore. Its not a knock on AD as much as it is a compliment to Brown. AD has never really shown the quickness or footspeed that make big backs like Bettis and even Lendell effective (AD has twice the work ethic of white, for the record). I like CU commit Justin Torres more as a prospect than AD...AD is D Sumler but runs with more authority. CU was his first offer and he will have more choices before its all said and done because he is a big, effective back.

An instate haul of Austin (get Jack Harris in his ear), Brown and Willingham would be excellent foundation for this class and if Brandon Marshall and McDaniels can both grow up and sign Marshall to a long term deal, I like CUs chances with Rayshaun Williams.....Depending on the work that needs to be done in the class, I say CU offer Coleman from Eaglecrest had give him some guidance on what needs to be done (hopefully its better advice than they gave Andre Simmons, Ed Nuckols and Shaun Simon).

I would also like to see the staff go after the QB from Valor who outperformed Austin Hinder in the 3A state championship.....and it wasnt even close

Last edited:
Early returns = :afraid::ahhhhh:

Brendon Austin, Rayshon Williams, and Adonis Ameen-Moore are leaning elsewhere. Unsure of where we sit with Dorian Brown or Leilon Willingham, but it is looking bleak early on.

Early returns = :afraid::ahhhhh:

Brendon Austin, Rayshon Williams, and Adonis Ameen-Moore are leaning elsewhere. Unsure of where we sit with Dorian Brown or Leilon Willingham, but it is looking bleak early on.

Given the way the season and '10 class finished, this was kind of a given, right? My hopes in landing some of these guys were with quick start next year, loading up on visits for an ooc game.

I would say that is wishful thinking, but who knows. I do not think we are going to get our first verbal for a while, probably even later than last year when Spond committed.

I can maybe see Berglund committing if he gets offered. Coleman seems like a probable commit, but they're waiting for his spring grades first I think? Other than that I don't know, maybe another Colorado kid that grew up a Buff fan and is just waiting for the offer.

Things certainly aren't off to a good start. Austin and Moore sound pretty gone to me, Williams seems likely too. Willingham seems more interested in CU than those guys, but also might bolt. No idea of Dorian Brown, but if we lose out on both AAM and Brown, that's really bad.

I think Berglund might wait. Sounds like schools have told him they want to see him throw in person before offering. Could be wrong though, a CU offer might change things. Coleman is going to have to wait to commit. The other top guys are going to wait it out and see what happens during the evaluation period IMO.

FWIW, Nebraska had eight players from Colorado at their junior day this weekend. Not sure who was there besides Ameen-Moore and Healy. Would not surprise me if they got some other Mullen teammates to trip out there with them.

8.. ugh. Watch them haul in AAM, Williams, and the three Mullen linebackers. I'll have to cry myself to sleep that night.

I can see Berglund holding off if he has some dream school that he wants an offer from; he seems to be pretty fond of the Buffs, though.

Rivals has released their first top 15 for the 2011 in-state class:

1. Brendon Austin (offered)
2. Leilon Willingham (offered)
3. Dorian Brown (offered)
4. Rayshon Williams (offered)
5. Adonis Ameen-Moore (offered)
6. Marc Mustoe (offered)
7. Eddie Yarbrough
8. Brock Berglund
9. Joe Kawulok
10. Justin Hansen
11. Carzell Vickers
12. Marquise Coleman
13. Brady Daigh
14. George Tolonoa
15. Connor Healy

A pretty damn good group. Several of these kids already have multiple offers and will continue to get interest from schools around the region and country. Hard to gauge where CU stands with many of these kids right now.

FWIW, the players I like: Austin, Willingham, Brown, Williams, Mustoe, and Healy. Also think JD Henry will be in the conversation at some point.

I think this is going to be a very frustrating year to follow recruiting for the Buffs. The kids are aware of what is happening in Boulder and if they aren't the opposing coaches will gladly fill them in. Fact is that Hawk can easily be seen as hanging on by a thread. Apparently recruits like him, their parents like him, their coaches like him. In his first couple of years of real recruiting here he got some kids that most didn't expect to end up in Boulder.

Trouble is that he has seasons of 2 wins, 6 wins, 3 wins, 3 wins. Clearly he was on the verge of losing his job last year to the point of cancelling recruiting visits on the weekend of the kNU game. Without a major step forward in record this year it will be hard to save him again. By the end of the season the election will be finished so a buy-out (significantly less than it would have been this year) will be much less of a political issue. If the team isn't winning ticket sales and attendance with it's corresponding game day revenues will be significnantly down. In general the administration will not have a choice but to fire him.

Recruits can figure all this out. They may really like CU and the guys on the team but they will have to wonder "Who will be my coach and how do I fit into his plans?" Unless a kid is just sold on CU because it is CU regardless of who the coach is it will be hard to get quality kids to seriously commit to a program in turmoil.

On the other hand, if somehow Hawk does turn it around and manage to have five wins in the first 8-9 games and some positive press the recruits might start believing. Go 2-6 or worse and Hawk himself may not be around to see the end of it.

This looks to be a very solid, deep year in Colorado so it may be exactly the worst year for the program to be in a state of confusion but unfortunately that is the case.

Just to update this thread some as we roll into June. This class looks very strong.

1. Brendon Austin-Committed to Stanford
2. Leilon Willingham-He likes Texas, but I do not think he gets that offer. Regardless, I think he will take several official visits in the fall.
3. Dorian Brown-Sure seems like his recruiting is about to blow up. While he only has offers from CU and CSU currently, sounds like a handful of Pac-10 schools are about to jump into the mix.
4. Rayshon Williams-Headed out of state, just a matter of where.
5. Adonis Ameen-Moore-The comment on Williams applies here too. Not sure he is a major loss though.
6. Marc Mustoe-He has quietly put together a very solid offer list this spring and is now up to 11 offers in all. I think we have a shot here and I think he will take several official visits in the fall.
7. Eddie Yarbrough-We recently offered, but it is hard to get a read here. He is another guy that could pick up some offers on the camp circuit this summer and I expect him to take several official visits in the fall.
8. Brock Berglund-Another fairly recent offer and a guy whose stock took off in the spring, as he is now up to 10 offers. We have a shot here.
9. Joe Kawulok-No interest in CU. Probably going to CSU in the end.
10. Justin Hansen-Still waiting for his first offer, but he will have some options in the end. Do not think he ends up getting one from CU however.

Colorado has a good group of solid players. I wouldn't say we lead for any. Maybe Berglund.

when is not a frustrating year to follow recruiting for CU.. There is a group of top notch players in the state and we are stuck with a coach that's not going to be here next year.. What a joke.

Not even CO kids are buying Hack's crap and know we have lame-duck staff who probably wont be here next year. We wont get another decent recruit class until @$$hole is gone. The only thing that might help is if hack is fired early in the season and a good name (notice I didnt say big name because that wont happen) coach is picked that can convince some good uncommitted (or even committed) kids that CU is finally on the up and up. Conference shake-up may also have an impact of course.

We all need to be prepared that Hawkins isn't going anywhere. If 3-9 didn't do it, what would?

You could very well be right. There will be some significant differences this year however. By the end of the season the elections will be over. I am certain that a big part of the reason Hawk was saved last year was Benson didn't want to deal with the political fallout of a $3 Million + buyout in an election year. This year it will be easier to explain the difference between AD monies and University general funds when it isn't all being handled in soundbites. Secondly the buyout will be about a million dollars less. Perceptionwise there is a huge difference in less than $2 million dollars and over $3 million dollars. I also fully expect that they will be able to point to declining ticket revenue this year as a factor in the decision. Even if attendace is only down 5-7% and we have one or two less TV appearances the dollars add up quickly again making it an easier sell.

Lastly, last year turned off all but the most ardent Hawk supporters among the donors and influencial alumni. Another year (which I unfortunately expect) of failures and on-field embarassments will increase the pressure on the administration to make the change.

They will then be able to point to declining revenues, a smaller buyout, less political pressure and make the argument that they "gave him five years." which seems to be the magic number in college athletics and academia.

I think that Hawk used up his Get out of jail free card last year. This year it is win or else, based on what we have seen the past four years I am fairly certain it will be the or else.

I agree with you here. The problem is, neither of us know how the PTB define "win." For all we know, a 4-8 season will do it.

That is the one question I worry about. I don't think 4 -8 saves his job but 6-6 or even 5-7 with a strong finish might get him more time based on the "turning the corner" arguement. Problem for me is that with Hawk driving even if we turn the corner it will be into the path of an oncoming truck.

Back