What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2014 Class Grade

I think that rest of the Pac-12 coaches are watching HCMM like a hawk. I think they know that he can find talent and develop talent as well as anyone in the business right now. It seems to me that he was in early on everyone except Fields. We lost a couple that is true but to me that just means that he can see talent that the others can't. I look at all the great players in a conference like the MAC and how those coaches find those guys like Rothensburger, Thomas, Bortles, Cromartie etc and even though the talent is more spread out in those leagues, there are great players everywhere and HCMM has demonstrated and ability to find those guys.

I think that rest of the Pac-12 coaches are watching HCMM like a hawk. I think they know that he can find talent and develop talent as well as anyone in the business right now. It seems to me that he was in early on everyone except Fields. We lost a couple that is true but to me that just means that he can see talent that the others can't. I look at all the great players in a conference like the MAC and how those coaches find those guys like Rothensburger, Thomas, Bortles, Cromartie etc and even though the talent is more spread out in those leagues, there are great players everywhere and HCMM has demonstrated and ability to find those guys.

No.

We are not in the MAC. We play a PAC12 schedule, and a couple diamonds wont mean **** when we are playing teams every week with a diamond mine. Head to head recruiting was terrible, and it had better improve or MMac will be looking for a coordinator job. Identifying talent does you no good if you cant get it to Boulder.

C-

Disclaimer: I'm grading based on a very small amount of video clips that I have seen and of course what the Rankings say. I'm sure others here have seen more extensive footage of the recruits/is a better evaluator of talent. Rankings matter, but really ultimately only if you don't produce on the field. If Colorado wins games, nobody is going to have an objection with the type of recruits CU is bringing in. Obviously missed out on some decent players late, that would have been a big boost to the class.

Looks pretty bad on paper to me. My first thought was that the class deserves a D or even an F because I don't think that it's very good at all, but then I looked at how bad our recruiting has been in general via that list from Buffnik and I decided that a C- is a more appropriate grade. So absolute grade: D. Factoring in the previously-poor performances on the recruiting tall bumps it up to A c-.

We have easily the worst talent level in the conference and this class isn't doing anything to change that.

By the way, here are the rankings, courtesy of ESPN, of our class from several sources:

ESPN: 12 (71)
Scout: 12(71)
Rivals: 10 (64)
247: 12 (77).

Rivals likes a bit more than the others (putting us at 10 instead of 12, like all of the rest) but I'm not sure how anyone could really grade this effort as a B.

Last edited:
We are not in the MAC. We play a PAC12 schedule, and a couple diamonds wont mean **** when we are playing teams every week with a diamond mine. Head to head recruiting was terrible, and it had better improve or MMac will be looking for a coordinator job. Identifying talent does you no good if you cant get it to Boulder.

Well said...

What? :bang:

My point is that there are more than a "Couple of diamonds" in this class and that many if not all of these guys are better than their star ratings would indicate. The SJSU team that HCMM brought to #17 in the country had five three stars and about 15 NR guys. That is a team that lost to Stanford by 3 points. Of course head to head recruiting is going to be terrible because the situation in Boulder had been terrible for years. It is certainly better than SJSU was however and I expect he can make us competitive using the same formula in the next two to three years.
This class along with vast improvements in the overall culture in boulder continues us in that direction.

You need to stop jock sniffing the other school's recruits!

1. Recruited all over California, especially in previously untapped areas in northern California.

If I'm going to take some hope from this class, this would be a big part of it. I'm hoping the fact that MM came from a NoCal school and the fact that we made some inroads in NoCal are not unrelated, and that it demonstrates that MM and at least part of this staff really do have an ability to forge some relationships that will pay off in the future. If that's the case, it might bode well for the future, particularly when it comes to recruiting in-state....

My point is that there are more than a "Couple of diamonds" in this class and that many if not all of these guys are better than their star ratings would indicate. The SJSU team that HCMM brought to #17 in the country had five three stars and about 15 NR guys. That is a team that lost to Stanford by 3 points. Of course head to head recruiting is going to be terrible because the situation in Boulder had been terrible for years. It is certainly better than SJSU was however and I expect he can make us competitive using the same formula in the next two to three years.
This class along with vast improvements in the overall culture in boulder continues us in that direction.

You need to stop jock sniffing the other school's recruits!

Why do you think this?

Why do you think this?

Because if he and other Buff fans thought this class was worse than its star ratings we would have to turn AllBuffs into a suicide help site. :lol:

I feel like some of you don't fully understand where this program was just 2 years ago. So I'll remind you. We won 1 game (and that game would have been a loss if Wazzu hadn't handed us the W in the last quarter). We were a national joke in college football. Now, if you were a high school kid, why in the world would you want to commit to a team like that? As far as I'm concerned, Coach MM coming in and winning 4 games was beyond my expectations. In my mind, this class is less a representation of our staff's recruiting ability, and more a product of winning only 5 games in 2 years. If any of you expected HCMM to come in and sign multiple 4 star kids in his first full year of recruiting, then you just simply aren't living in reality. Things are getting better, baby steps are being taken, and I feel bad for those of you who can't be happy about that. Patience people, transforming a football program doesn't happen overnight.

So, with reasonable expectations in mind, I give this class a B-.

D-/F+ compared to our competition. There is nowhere near enough talent in this class to compete against our brethen in the PAC 12 South. Take a look at the recruiting classes of USC, UCLA, ASU, Arizona and even Utah and tell me otherwise. No one wants to hear it, but the talent gap probably has even have widened between CU and the rest of the PAC 12 south. We are trying to win by recruiting "fine young men", who are good students. Our competition is getting the very best athletes possible to try to compete in this brutal league. Utah took five recruits from Florida and two from Louisiana to try to upgrade their speed and talent because Whittingham knows the end is near for him without better athletes.

Utah has at least 7 recruits from Utah. Sounds loyal right? But Neuheisel was mortified! Like him or not, and I don't really, he likely knows where the talent lives and apparently Utah ain't it. Agree that we will not unseed USC and UCLA based soley on the talent comparison of this 2014 class. ASU looks good on paper, but not trading Mac for Gram Cracker! He really is sellin snake oil.....

Really? The rest of the PAC-12 is just waiting around for HCMM to do his thing with player evaluation and then pouncing? Come on.

Mike Riley, Chris Petersen, and Rich Rodriguez (among others) have pretty good histories with finding the sleepers too.

From the luncheon today we had quite a few recruits that after they committed to CU about half of the PAC 12 offered and made big pushes.

:yeahthat: Including Oregon inviting Sully for a visit..... Especially Jones, Kaiser, Matthews, Franke, Apsay..... Same story applies to Watanabee just not as much Pac (MVP of Texas 5 championship game on the losing team no less... Yea I will bet he can play a little....)

Why do you think this?

Because:
1. We were on guys WAY before anyone else was.
2. Those guys were getting poached the entire recruiting season
3. I absolutely trust his ability given his history at SJSU
4. Comments about his players from other sources were almost always extremely positive both as players and as citizens. (And that matters!)
5. I am impressed with guys like Gilliam and others who achieved far above their star rating under his coaching
6. Star ratings and class rankings miss the mark a lot.

Really? The rest of the PAC-12 is just waiting around for HCMM to do his thing with player evaluation and then pouncing? Come on.

Mike Riley, Chris Petersen, and Rich Rodriguez (among others) have pretty good histories with finding the sleepers too.

I would say Riley and Peterson do. I also think that Leach does as well. Mora, Sarkisan Rich Rod not so much. However, there is no way you can convince me that any other coach in the Pac-12 could have brought SJSU to the top 25. NO WAY!

Since the only fair comparison in terms of conference is versus USC and UCLA (division) on paper..... without curve..... I say C

With a little curve, given creativity to recruit with 4 wins and challenging facilities, to be part of rebuilding something to original luster as the promise, B

My satisfaction with this class filling obvious needs per speed and strength, B- (O line worries) I believe they did a very good job with a challenging hand...... I also believe they are on very good track for 2015 and 2016 (from Mac)

I would say Riley and Peterson do. I also think that Leach does as well. Mora, Sarkisan Rich Rod not so much. However, there is no way you can convince me that any other coach in the Pac-12 could have brought SJSU to the top 25. NO WAY!

Yeah, those Rich Rodriguez teams at WVU were loaded with blue chip players.:lol:

You seem to think Mike MacIntyre is far and away the best coach in the conference. Hope you are right.

D+

Losing Rodriguez and Dotson hurts a lot imo. It takes us from having a pretty freaking solid offensive class down to a solid one. Too many questionable takes on defense imo. Grade would've been a bit higher if we held onto aforementioned duo and added anyone of note.

D+

Losing Rodriguez and Dotson hurts a lot imo. It takes us from having a pretty freaking solid offensive class down to a solid one. Too many questionable takes on defense imo. Grade would've been a bit higher if we held onto aforementioned duo and added anyone of note.

I actually liked the Rodriguez for Sully trade.

I am absolutely convinced that people systematically overrate these one-year-turn-around-wonder type coaches. I'm far too lazy to do any analysis myself but my guess is that they tend to fail and fail badly when they get their big promotions to the next level. Sample size n=1 in a minor league conference with a joke of a schedule and an almost-win against Stanford doesn't mean all that much to me.

Are we grading against recent cu classes or against non majors or against the p12? I have 3 separate grades.

Back