What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2017-2018 Bowl Season

He is a quirky and snarky dude, but you’ve gotta admire the job Saban has done at Bama. His teams win, his players graduate, and many become millionaire athletes ready to be professional athletes. He’s been so dominant as a head coach that many of his assistants/former assistants get to be multi-millionaires too.

In a results business, he is a major producer. The greatest. Every year he figures a way to move forward when staying in place would make them better than nearly everyone else. He motivates his players by being tough but fair. He’s got the formula.

Alabama's recruiting is now over the top and is ruining College Football. The pure physical appearance of most of the Alabama players is just not funny. The raw body structure and size is just unfair! If a 329 pound man can zip his head around and intercept a football out of midair, then start running pretty quickly down the field is just flat out amazing. Based on the young talent on that field, they will be back again and again and again!!!
I know very few people around the country give a ****. But the deck is clearly stacked. Think about Tad’s comments about beating Arizona. But making that argument just makes one sound bitter and petty. Which I am.

It's just that success breeds more success in college football, if the staff has its act together. In any given year there are 4 or 5 teams that can win the NC. Now Georgia has joined that group. The deal with Bama is that they're so money in these big games. Most of the time. I like Saban a lot.

It's just that success breeds more success in college football, if the staff has its act together. In any given year there are 4 or 5 teams that can win the NC. Now Georgia has joined that group. The deal with Bama is that they're so money in these big games. Most of the time. I like Saban a lot.
Ewwwww!

The program is incredibly well run at all levels and has a huge support staff. Probably an "athlete path" on academics like even Stanford has but CU doesn't, but that's just the university doing a good job of supporting athletics because it recognizes the importance to the university (applications, donations, etc.).

P.S. Let's all be careful about how we phrase comments regarding academics and being able to judge someone's scholastic ability by looking at him. :)

My apologies for possibly incorrectly categorizing many players for not being focused student-athletes, that is rude of me, but it is frustrating when many of the impact players that go professional early very likely do not have a strong academic focus or certain abilities.

Saban is like Belichek in that he looks at every rule, or every policy and slams right up against the proverbial rails in order to create success like you mention so perfectly. If you ain't pushing the edge, you are not trying! It feels like Alabama has figured out Prop 48 for 2018??? I am obviously just not a fan of Alabama and the fact they have so far of a lead on everyone. Agreed that if it is the most important thing you are doing, you better do it at 110%.

The hell?
Simplified for Allbuffs.

From the. NCAA website:

• Each student-athlete receiving athletically related financial aid earns one point for staying in school and one point for being academically eligible.
  • A team’s total points are divided by points possible and then multiplied by 1,000 to equal the team’s Academic Progress Rate.
  • In addition to a team’s current-year APR, its rolling four-year APR is also used to determine accountability.
But that’s only part of it. Schools also have rules on academic eligibility for incoming students. I believe, for instance, that CU limits the number of partial qualifiers. I’m sure someone like @Buffnik or @buffaholic can expound.

Last edited:
alabama wins because they are committed to win. their academics are far, far better than they were, back in the day. they parlayed football awesomeness into widespread support and donations. they are now a national university of sorts. having a football program this strong is a powerful marketing vehicle.

i didn't think alabama would ever draw kids from all over. hell, tuscaloosa is hardly LA... but, they've done it. and they are unified to be better across the board, in everything.

georgia has the potential to do the same. they have one of the greatest natural recruiting footprints around. they have great fans and great support, and their academics aren't horrible (traditionally much better than alabama). with a saban-acolyte in charge, uga could be a force.

i would love to get to the places where these programs are.

all that said, **** the sec.

Simplified for Allbuffs.

From the. NCAA website:

• Each student-athlete receiving athletically related financial aid earns one point for staying in school and one point for being academically eligible.
  • A team’s total points are divided by points possible and then multiplied by 1,000 to equal the team’s Academic Progress Rate.
  • In addition to a team’s current-year APR, its rolling four-year APR is also used to determine accountability.
Who is going to determine which course is easier than another? :ROFLMAO:

alabama wins because they are committed to win. their academics are far, far better than they were, back in the day. they parlayed football awesomeness into widespread support and donations. they are now a national university of sorts. having a football program this strong is a powerful marketing vehicle.

i didn't think alabama would ever draw kids from all over. hell, tuscaloosa is hardly LA... but, they've done it. and they are unified to be better across the board, in everything.

georgia has the potential to do the same. they have one of the greatest natural recruiting footprints around. they have great fans and great support, and their academics aren't horrible (traditionally much better than alabama). with a saban-acolyte in charge, uga could be a force.

i would love to get to the places where these programs are.

all that said, **** the sec.

This. Top 100 kids go to the top programs. Remember how many used to go to Nebraska when it was an annual top 5 outfit? It can be the most uninteresting town and the most pedestrian school, but it is what it is.

Stuart Bell
drstuartbell.png

President - U of Alabama

Since CU can’t afford Sabin, any way we could get their president?

Go to the ‘bama website and find out what their players are majoring in. You can’t. At least I couldn’t. Go to CUBuffs.com and find out what Buffs are majoring in. Their major is at the bottom of their bio.

I know I’m getting carried away and understand this is just how it is. Maybe someday CU will catch fire in a bottle and finish the season in the top 4 and will get a shot. At least with this system there is that chance. Slim as it is.

The worst part is that trying to compete with the big boys breeds corruption throughout the sport.

Last edited:
Was close this year. Could have been Alabama, Georgia or OU in the playoffs given a bounce one way or the other. Throw in UCF too.

SEC bias is deserved, I think.

Saw a data point earlier that makes it hard to argue:

In the last 15 years, the ACC and Pac-12 each have 2 National Championships, the B1G and Big 12 have 1... and the SEC has 9.

In the last 15 years, the ACC and Pac-12 each have 2 National Championships, the B1G and Big 12 have 1... and the SEC has 9.

That is part of the problem though. Why is 15 years some arbitrary benchmark to use? Is it relevant to 2017? When one team has won five of the last nine national championships, why does the ENTIRE conference get credit?

That is part of the problem though. Why is 15 years some arbitrary benchmark to use? Is it relevant to 2017? When one team has won five of the last nine national championships, why does the ENTIRE conference get credit?
Well, even if you just take Florida, Auburn and LSU you've still got more titles than any other conference.

That said, I don't think those programs are any better than the top third teams in any of the other P5 conferences. It's definitely Bama that separates the SEC so much.

Because the media outlet that forms opinions all over the country is the primary partner for their TV network? Plus they have a nationally televised game everyone can watch on network TV in a premier time slot every damn weekend.

Well, even if you just take Florida, Auburn and LSU you've still got more titles than any other conference.

But again, I think you are trying to combine two pretty distinct eras. Those three teams were winning when the SEC was incredibly deep and the hype was warranted.

Saban has basically killed the depth of the conference. LSU is nowhere near the teams who were competing for championships. Neither is Florida. Auburn has been hit or miss. Georgia has risen up. But is that conference anything special without Bama's epic run in that timeframe? Not really.

My frustration is that it is all a self fulfilling prophecy. Weak schedules, over ranking to start the year leads to much more forgiveness of a lose compared to the other conferences.

I'm excited to see this expanded to 8 so that we can see how the SEC holds up against broader competition.

I also don't think it is good for college football to have the same 10 teams every year... They need to figure out how to introduce more parity imo

Just to get this straight, but what I am seeing is Kendrick Lamar performing at HT of a college championship game? They're paying Kendrick Lemar to perform at HT of a game contested by unpaid "student" athletes?
Almost like the NCAA has no affiliation with the CFP, LLC.

It’s even worse. I only see 1 Pac-12 NC in the last 15. I see 10 SEC.

actually was one of the closer championships and a decent game. bama finally throws one deep for the win, can not believe georgia let that kid behind them? amazing how bama keeps being bama. The opposition has a freshman qb, so bama one ups them with their own freshman qb. so sick of them winning all the time, and no end in sight. Everyone else in college football needs to kick it up a notch.

Yeah it was an awesome game I am just really sick of Bama. In terms of the SEC east over the next couple of years, it is going to be interesting if Mullen can keep up with Smart in recruiting. I think Pruitt is a good coach but not sure he can hang with those two. IF, which is a big if, Pruitt can get them back to being a consistent 9 game winner then the East will be much better going forward. The best part about the top 3 teams in the East is their cross divisional games are with the 3 best programs in the West so hopefully the SOS picks up.

Back