What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2017 CU Players in the NFL (Plus Draft Thread)

Crowley is going to get PAID

Saints have him under contract for one more year at $630,000. They would be crazy to not be working on an extension for a lot more money.

Top CBs are making huge contracts now. With him being young and without an injury history he is going to get a lot.

Crowley is going to get PAID

Saints have him under contract for one more year at $630,000. They would be crazy to not be working on an extension for a lot more money.

Top CBs are making huge contracts now. With him being young and without an injury history he is going to get a lot.
Who?

I know it was before 2017 - but this pic needed to be shown. Buff in the NFL.
cdd5a779d2a89b44e154509f339c0034

That's so ****ed up.

Maybe tomorrow they can do a mock up of the fallout conversations between Kyrie Irving and LeBron James by doing their best Amos & Andy voices.
I'd bet Fauria is not 'racist' in his attitudes towards others or his personal relationships, but like many grew up aware of stereotypes that people indulged. He may have remembered Uncle Bob doing that imitation 25 years ago. Hate to see this ruin his future. (PS: I likely will be posting more here, as I have been banned on netbuffs -altho they won't tell me why. I will try to behave myself)

I'd bet Fauria is not 'racist' in his attitudes towards others or his personal relationships, but like many grew up aware of stereotypes that people indulged. He may have remembered Uncle Bob doing that imitation 25 years ago. Hate to see this ruin his future. (PS: I likely will be posting more here, as I have been banned on netbuffs -altho they won't tell me why. I will try to behave myself)
Nope. It was racist.

Getting into the semantics of calling someone a racist: the word "racist" means that someone discriminates or prejudges or feels superior to someone based on race. What he did fits the definition both on prejudging and acting superior. I don't know if that would cause him to discriminate against Asians, but it's hard to imagine that you could feel superior to others and prejudge them based on their ethnic heritage but that it wouldn't result in you treating that person differently (discriminating).

Fauria's got some work to do on himself to purge this kind of thinking from his system.

Nope. It was racist.

Getting into the semantics of calling someone a racist: the word "racist" means that someone discriminates or prejudges or feels superior to someone based on race. What he did fits the definition both on prejudging and acting superior. I don't know if that would cause him to discriminate against Asians, but it's hard to imagine that you could feel superior to others and prejudge them based on their ethnic heritage but that it wouldn't result in you treating that person differently (discriminating).

Fauria's got some work to do on himself to purge this kind of thinking from his system.

You are correct. It will be interesting to see the outcome of this event on his career.

Imitating a stereotype accent or manner of speech that is based on ethnicity is clearly a racist action. What I wonder though is how will the response be different since he mocked Asians instead of a group that is more prominent in the racial issues in the nation such as blacks, hispanics, etc.

I want to support him because he is a Buff but simply cannot. A person simply cannot act in a racist manner and not be thought of as having some element of racist bias or ignorance. Doing so in a public forum like a radio show carries an additional responsibility.

Nope. It was racist.

Maybe he’s just a narcissist.

Maybe he’s just a narcissist.
:ROFLMAO:

Yeah, I don't see that. I think this is mostly racial insensitivity based on being socialized that these types of jokes are ok, not being challenged on it, and not giving it any introspection about why it's no ok. That it is actually racist. I suspect that Fauria does not think of himself as racist, is horrified that his actions were racist, and that he will take corrective measures to flush this out of his system.

Nope. It was racist.

Are people assuming that he said that to make himself feel superior, or because he already believed himself superior, to Asians? That would be a very heavy condemnation of him, going to his basic values. I'd guess none of us know him, or his interactions with minority people well enough, to make that judgement. People occasionally screw up and say and do things that are not truly reflective of who they are. This clearly was something he thought was funny, not demeaning. Maybe he needs education in this regard.
The ability of posters and the internet to ruin a person's life, for a single mistake, is incredible (or did Fauria, with whatever ethnic background he has, have a history of racist acts?).
What he said was racist. His mindset and motivation were likely not at all.

Brings to mind the girl who flushed her emotional support hamster. Maybe she deserves it, but that will be part of her life forever - thanks to the 'net.

Good luck Christian

Are people assuming that he said that to make himself feel superior, or because he already believed himself superior, to Asians? That would be a very heavy condemnation of him, going to his basic values. I'd guess none of us know him, or his interactions with minority people well enough, to make that judgement. People occasionally screw up and say and do things that are not truly reflective of who they are. This clearly was something he thought was funny, not demeaning. Maybe he needs education in this regard.
The ability of posters and the internet to ruin a person's life, for a single mistake, is incredible (or did Fauria, with whatever ethnic background he has, have a history of racist acts?).
What he said was racist. His mindset and motivation were likely not at all.

Brings to mind the girl who flushed her emotional support hamster. Maybe she deserves it, but that will be part of her life forever - thanks to the 'net.

Good luck Christian
"Superior" comes in when you denigrate someone else with a negative stereotype because that someone is part of an ethnic group. It's belittling.

You bring up a problem of people getting their lives ruined by the internet mob. I agree with you. It's a problem.

Another problem which ties into this is that we have lost our ability to recognize degrees within a label. What Fauria did was a very mild case of racism. I see ignorance, not hate. I'm confident he'll flush this and fix it now that he's been made aware and is no longer ignorant in this area. He's not the same as someone in a white power movement or whatever. (We've recently seen a similar problem of not recognizing that there are degrees with "sexual misconduct" and that harassment is a much lesser offense than rape.)

I don't see any need for anything beyond a short suspension, an apology and then a return to work with a zero tolerance policy going forward if he makes another racist mistake in the future. It's not like it was hate speech or inciting others to violence or discrimination.

I don't know what you do about it really when it comes to racism. My son is multiracial and I did everything I could to make it work. Others didn't see it that way and it ended me and my son's mom. It didn't matter what I said or did. Racism or ignorance is very prevalent in every race, I've lived it, promise you. Going through that is when I started drinking too much, I know that.

I think there is a real difference between "racial insensitivty" and "racism" . Racism has been well-defined above and it is hateful, intolerable stuff. Lack of racial sensitivity, is a lack of awareness that one's words or behavior are racially offensive. That can result from a lot of things ranging from ignorance to actual racism. To my mind, CF is guilty in 'insensitivty' and not racism. Somehow he thought his shtick was funny, when he should have known the opp was true. You have Alabama J Moore's wife stating, "we have friends who are Jews" which was very offensive to many and didn't bother some people at all. For years, many good hearted people have called Asians "Orientals", not realizing that offended many, etc, etc
Isn't Fauria himself a minority, ethnically?

I think there is a real difference between "racial insensitivty" and "racism" . Racism has been well-defined above and it is hateful, intolerable stuff. Lack of racial sensitivity, is a lack of awareness that one's words or behavior are racially offensive. That can result from a lot of things ranging from ignorance to actual racism. To my mind, CF is guilty in 'insensitivty' and not racism. Somehow he thought his shtick was funny, when he should have known the opp was true. You have Alabama J Moore's wife stating, "we have friends who are Jews" which was very offensive to many and didn't bother some people at all. For years, many good hearted people have called Asians "Orientals", not realizing that offended many, etc, etc

Good post.

There is a real difference between ignorance and actual beliefs. This sounds like it was rooted in ignorance more than a belief that Asians are inferior.

That still doesn't help though when a guy is in the public light.

Regardless of where it came from Fauria is going to pay a price for this and should. What that price is, especially long term, will depend entirely on how he handles it from here out.

If he takes responsibility, makes moves to make amends, and demonstrates in the future that this was not a part of his true character he will be able to mostly put it behind him. There will naturally be some who do not forget and do not forgive.

This post is spot on. Fauria was being insensitive, but not full out racist, imo.

Back