What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2017 Paradise Jam in Virginia (formerly St. Thomas)

That was a real strong showing by the Buffs last night. I watched all 3 games, and can say that the growth of this team from the first game of the tournament through last night was tremendous.

George King played last night like he did 2 years ago. McKinley Wright was by far the best player throughout the tournament. What I really loved seeing was the will to win that we haven't seen from the Buffs in a few years. During the Mercer and Drake games, I kept waiting for us to blow our lead like has been the norm recently. These Buffs kept their composure, made big shots, played smart, and didn't flinch when the opponent made a bucket or two to tighten the gap. McKinley has a huge impact on that himself, but I really think his leadership and composure during these situations rubs off on everyone else. They believe again. I still think we have some holes in this roster and there will be growing pains for the young guys, but I really like this team and am very optimistic about the next few seasons.

Go Buffs!!

I still think we have some holes in this roster and there will be growing pains for the young guys, but I really like this team and am very optimistic about the next few seasons.

Go Buffs!!

This is the biggest thing I'm taking from this. This tournament helps buoy the spirits for this year, but it's still going to be a VERY up and down year where we should be aiming for an NIT bid. Where this will really help us is the experience moving forward. I think we'll see the rewards from this in a year or two.

Just a couple of off the wall thoughts, post-tourney:

- after fouling out in the 2nd game, MKin tallied only 1 PF in the tithe game. Either he's a fast learner or there was a different set of stripes.

- really nice that Andy Katz, a national bb pundit, was able to get a first hand view of the young Buffs.

McKinley is putting up some great numbers (screenshot for those that don't have KenPom).

Small sample size, but he's shooting well, his assist numbers are insane and his TORate isn't unreasonable for a frosh PG who's handling the ball that much.

Attachments

• wright.jpg
    wright.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 23
By the end of November?
Of course not. But it's typical that our basketball team will have 10 wins by the end of December. It's apples and oranges. I have no idea why anyone would use basketball record and the basketball forum to dig at football.

Not mentioned in the game thread, but Bey started to be the "glue guy" against Mercer that we need him to be. Only 2 points, but had 4 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 blocked shots. He's fouling too much, but I thought that game was an indication that he's starting to figure it out a bit.

First, I respect your unrelenting defense of football, even in jest

Not sure how it was posted, but the one foul I saw called on Bey with ~2 minutes left was soft and showed his willingness to deny the post, which we'll need as he covers guys taller than him

Kin is a special player, but seeing the impact that a true PG has on this team makes me even more weary of next years recruiting class being a regression to the mean. Hate to keep harping on this, but I'm done with classes being anchored by undersized 2s who don't have the IQ to handle PG duties

Nice article by Rooney here. I liked this quote:

...head coach Tad Boyle stopped a film session to ask his players what characteristics the team owned that could be considered elite.
When no one provided a reasonable answer, it was senior walk-on Josh Repine who spoke up.
With his shrewd coach's view from the sideline, Repine exhorted his teammates to play with elite-level effort and elite-level concentration.

If they take this to heart all season, good things will continue to happen.

Not sure how it was posted, but the one foul I saw called on Bey with ~2 minutes left was soft and showed his willingness to deny the post, which we'll need as he covers guys taller than him

Kin is a special player, but seeing the impact that a true PG has on this team makes me even more weary of next years recruiting class being a regression to the mean. Hate to keep harping on this, but I'm done with classes being anchored by undersized 2s who don't have the IQ to handle PG duties
How do you know what the future holds? I think trend is positive on recruiting.

I'd love to know which seasons in Tad's 8 seasons when you thought our struggles were due to bad play at PG. It has consistently been the best position on the roster.

I'd love to know which seasons in Tad's 8 seasons when you thought our struggles were due to bad play at PG. It has consistently been the best position on the roster.
The only year that jumps to mind is Ski's senior year and he was never meant to be the main PG, Tad just didn't foresee Spencer being so good he left early.

How do you know what the future holds? I think trend is positive on recruiting.

This current freshman class was great, but not the HS seniors we just signed. I didn't want to be a downer on the recruiting boards, especially since they hadn't even signed (until recently), but I'm NOT high on this latest recruiting class. I respect Goose's opinion, and he said he's hopeful on Kountz based on what he's heard/read from others. However, based on offers and a tape on the internet, I'm not. I'm not saying he sucks, but he and Parquet seem like unknowns. They remind me of the AK and Guanjo (or whatever the hell his name was). Add them to Strating and Nikolic, who are also unknowns to me, and I'm a little worried about recruiting. Of course, one bad class isn't a death nail (still not good though), and I'm more than willing to wait on what we have with our two signees. But I disagree that the TREND is positive right now. I hope we finish '18 with a solid prospect, and start '19 off well.

The only year that jumps to mind is Ski's senior year and he was never meant to be the main PG, Tad just didn't foresee Spencer being so good he left early.
Ski was a head case that year, but he single-handedly kept the team in a lot of games (and won some). The bigger issue that year is that there was a leadership vacuum and no one he was confident to pass to at the 2. Let's not forget that Ski was 2nd Team All-Conference that year.

The year I'd say when PG was our weak spot was the year Dom started. And Dom was supposed to be the PG in Ski's year also.

I can forgive Tad for missing on an in-state 4* PG recruit who ended up being much more suited to playing off the ball as a 3pt shooter.

Meh. Let's hope we never have a year when our football team wins more games than our basketball team.
I’m not going to go back and look, but I’d bet that at some point between 1990 and 1995, the football team actually did win more than the hoops team. The pre-Chauncey days were bleak.

I strongly believe that not having a year to learn under Spencer as his backup really hurt Dom's development, too.

Nikolic is unknown but will be a good player here.
All players entering a program are unknowns.
Have to see how they perform before rendering an opinion

Positive trend
Siewert
Brown
Wright
Wright
Battey
Bey
Schwartz
Nikolic

And best part they are playing well together and should continue with more experience.

Positive trend
Siewert
Brown
Wright
Wright
Battey
Bey
Schwartz
Nikolic

And best part they are playing well together and should continue with more experience.
I think that Nikolic's future is mostly as a "point forward" in George King's spot. But he'll be a flex guy who can play 1 though 4 to give Tad a lot of different looks he can throw at a team. Seems like a guy who is happy doing a lot of the unheralded stuff, like grabbing defensive rebounds and pushing tempo or collapsing a zone off the bounce to get a shot for another player. One place I think he could be very intriguing is that he has the size to take the pass and direct traffic from the foul line against a 2-3 zone. Could be nasty at that. Another unheralded thing where he can excel is being our inbounds guy since it's rare to have a guy with that size and passing ability.

I think that Nikolic's future is mostly as a "point forward" in George King's spot. But he'll be a flex guy who can play 1 though 4 to give Tad a lot of different looks he can throw at a team. Seems like a guy who is happy doing a lot of the unheralded stuff, like grabbing defensive rebounds and pushing tempo or collapsing a zone off the bounce to get a shot for another player. One place I think he could be very intriguing is that he has the size to take the pass and direct traffic from the foul line against a 2-3 zone. Could be nasty at that. Another unheralded thing where he can excel is being our inbounds guy since it's rare to have a guy with that size and passing ability.
Nailed it. Nikolic is goi8ng to be a very solid player for us. The kid knows how to play the game, just needs to learn how to play game over here and find his spot. It will happen.

Ski, Hopkins, Peters, Yaz, Dom, Talton, Stalzer, Jenkins...guard play was an obvious weak spot from the second Spence went down to the moment we won the lottery with DWhite (for 1 season)...I feel some serious revisionist history here, and calling on Ski's scoring talent doesn't undo the lack of defense or facilitating an offensive flow

This years freshmen class is without a doubt the best since Jelly's, but there's 4 years of weakness in between. I'm really not trying to sound so negative, just saying that I hope Kin changes Tad's perspective on recruiting under the radar combo guards versus true PGs

Hard to argue with JG and Goose when it comes to buffs bball, and I remember one (or both) of them getting pumped on twitter when we signed Kin as a true PG

Positive trend
Siewert
Brown
Wright
Wright
Battey
Bey
Schwartz
Nikolic

I think the "trend" of the program is up at this time, but it's a trend made on few data points. The trend in recruiting though just had a big low data point. The previous class, this year's freshman class, cannot be considered as the only data point. Unless this year's class is salvaged by a solid signing in spring, it's not a good class on paper...at all. There are ways around it though, and hopefully they're better than we know. I won't belabor this point anymore - Go Buffs.

I think the "trend" of the program is up at this time, but it's a trend made on few data points. The trend in recruiting though just had a big low data point. The previous class, this year's freshman class, cannot be considered as the only data point. Unless this year's class is salvaged by a solid signing in spring, it's not a good class on paper...at all. There are ways around it though, and hopefully they're better than we know. I won't belabor this point anymore - Go Buffs.

So you are saying the Buffs have a chance. How many scholarships still remain for next year if any?

Back