What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2017 Paradise Jam in Virginia (formerly St. Thomas)

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Oh, hell yeah!!!

1799106_652208154835748_238029447_o-608x280.jpg

St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands – Teams competing in the 2017 U.S. Virgin Islands Paradise Jam were announced Wednesday by tournament directors at the annual Paradise Jam press conference. Eight men’s and eight women’s Division-I college basketball teams will compete in the 18th annual Paradise Jam held Nov. 17-25, 2017 at the University of the Virgin Islands in St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands.

The men’s tournament, held Friday, Nov. 17 through Monday, Nov. 20, 2017, will feature Colorado, Drake, Drexel, Houston, Liberty, Mercer, Quinnipiac, and Wake Forest. Teams will compete in a bracket-style tournament over the four-day event.

The women’s tournament will take place Thursday, Nov. 23 through Saturday, Nov. 25, 2017. The tournament field will include Butler, Drexel, George Washington, Syracuse, Vanderbilt, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, and Wisconsin. The women’s tournament features two four-team divisions competing in round-robin play for separate tournament championships.

The U.S. Virgin Islands Paradise Jam is hosted at the University of the Virgin Islands’ state-of-the-art Sports and Fitness Center, an $11 million venue with a capacity of 3,500, new hardwood floor, new scoreboard, four locker rooms, and fiber-optic internet connectivity.

For more information, visit www.paradisejam.com. Fans interested in information regarding travel packages and tickets for the 2017 event can fill out the form below.

http://paradisejam.com/2017-paradise-jam-teams-announced/

Do you need a passport for the VIs? My daughter doesn't have one yet, but a trip to St Thomas would be wonderful

Don't know much about the other teams, but should we be favored to win this?

EDIT: this is for next year. I am an idiot.

Don't know much about the other teams, but should we be favored to win this?

EDIT: this is for next year. I am an idiot.

Would assume it would come down to CU, the Danny Mannings (Wake) and/or Kelvin Sampsons (Houston) for the title game, depending on the bracket.

Do you need a passport for the VIs? My daughter doesn't have one yet, but a trip to St Thomas would be wonderful
If you are a U.S. citizen a passport is not required, but it still serves as the best identification when traveling. Otherwise, you must be prepared to show evidence of citizenship when departing the islands, such as a raised-seal birth certificate and government-issued photo ID.
If you are not a U.S. citizen, then a passport issued by your country of origin is required.

http://www.visitusvi.com/frequently_asked_questions

You do not need a passport, but it does make it easier to travel. A birth certificate/ gov issued id will work. There are several British islands that are a short boat ride away, so I'm not sure if you will need a passport for those or just a visa. I can't recommend St Thomas enough. The island rapidly ascends from the ocean, covering the island in some very steep hills. Plus you get to drive on the left side of the road. It is also worth going to St John and staying for a few days. Both islands have great beaches, but I think St John has a safer downtown area than St Thomas.

I did some more research on this and it is being held on the campus of the University of the Virgin Islands St Thomas. That is not a great location because it is not near any of the hotels, so make sure they either have a shuttle or you would need to rent a car. Like I said earlier, you drive on the left side of the road and it will ruin your brain for a few weeks when you get back. Like most islands, driving is slow and everything is on island time so leave yourself plenty of time to get places. Just like they are this year, the games will be Friday to Monday, so you guys will be spending Thanksgiving in paradise after the buffs win.

I can't get google maps to put in the address, but here are the coordinates if you like to look at maps: 18.3400174,-64.9731027

I did some more research on this and it is being held on the campus of the University of the Virgin Islands St Thomas. That is not a great location because it is not near any of the hotels, so make sure they either have a shuttle or you would need to rent a car. Like I said earlier, you drive on the left side of the road and it will ruin your brain for a few weeks when you get back. Like most islands, driving is slow and everything is on island time so leave yourself plenty of time to get places. Just like they are this year, the games will be Friday to Monday, so you guys will be spending Thanksgiving in paradise after the buffs win.

I can't get google maps to put in the address, but here are the coordinates if you like to look at maps: 18.3400174,-64.9731027
It looks like it is about 3 miles from downtown. I won't be making the trip, but if I were, I would just take a taxi in lieu of a rental car.

It looks like it is about 3 miles from downtown. I won't be making the trip, but if I were, I would just take a taxi in lieu of a rental car.

Yeah but you don't go to St Thomas to stay "downtown". Find a nice beach hotel and check the distance from there. And the cabs there are a truck where you sit in the back. Google ST Thomas taxi.

Yeah but you don't go to St Thomas to stay "downtown". Find a nice beach hotel and check the distance from there. And the cabs there are a truck where you sit in the back. Google ST Thomas taxi.
I hear you. At 14 miles in total length though, this isn't that big of a deal - particularly when the University is maybe 1/3 from the western edge.

I hear you. At 14 miles in total length though, this isn't that big of a deal - particularly when the University is maybe 1/3 from the western edge.

We stayed at the far west end and it took 79 minutes to get to the ferry at the east end. If you wanted to go to Magens beach or "downtown" it was at least 30 minutes. All the raods are single lane, full of traffic lights, large trucks, stop signs and slow drivers. The school is closer to the center than the western edge. But my point was more that downtown sucks. It is built around cruise ships stopping by. So it is kinda dead and super sketchy at night (and daytime) because there is a surpringly large homeless population that is very aggressive. From my experience, if you are going to a place with great beaches and a lame downtown, it should be an easy choice to find a nice beach hotel and have a enjoyable trip.

Last edited:

UVISiT?

All proceeds from gate receipts being donated to humanitarian relief efforts in USVI.

If you can go, all the more reason to do it.

Yes, they should. I know why it had to be moved but don't understand why Liberty. Jerry Falwell.....

Yes, they should. I know why it had to be moved but don't understand why Liberty. Jerry Falwell.....
If you take a look at the teams participating, they're all mostly east coast teams as we are the most far West team.
From there, all relatively small schools that probably couldn't handle the number of teams. Only other viable option there would've been Wake, and who knows where it went from there.

After previewing the teams so far, we should be able to take this out. Really, anything but the Finals will be a disappointment.

Liberty 2-0: Wins vs. Summit 87-42 & Wake Forest (79-66)
Houston 1-0: Win vs. McNeese State (81-53)
Drake 1-0: Win vs. Coe College (101-54)
Mercer 2-1: Wins vs. Toccoa Falls (110-43) & Jacksonville State (86-58) / Loss vs. Central Florida (88-79)
Drexel 1-1: Win vs. Arcadia University (95-81) / Loss vs. Bowling Green (78-69)
Quinnipiac 1-1: Win vs. Dartmouth (78-77) / Loss vs. Brown (79-72)
Wake Forest 0-2: Losses vs. Georgia Southern (85-83) & Liberty (79-66)

Back