What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018-2019 MBB Coaching Carousel

AAAAND...Mr. "We Gonna Shock The World!" Juwan Howard is now the coach at Big Blue Nation. Good for him; not sure if it's the best hire, but seems like a nice story at surface level.

With the success of Penny Hardaway, is hiring former NBA guys a coming trend? Former NBA guys have been a mixed bag.

AAAAND...Mr. "We Gonna Shock The World!" Juwan Howard is now the coach at Big Blue Nation. Good for him; not sure if it's the best hire, but seems like a nice story at surface level.
He may end up being successful and I wish him well, but I think this can only be viewed as a huge downgrade. Beilein was at the absolute pinnacle of college coaching acumen for the current players/rules/makeup of our game.

With the success of Penny Hardaway, is hiring former NBA guys a coming trend? Former NBA guys have been a mixed bag.

I get what you're saying, but I think there are other similarities and differences between the two. For example, one can view these two hiring as more of hiring famous alums as opposed to guys that went to the NBA. Howard though was an asst NBA coach for a long time, and it seemed like he was headed towards that track. Whereas Hardaway was at a local HS. So, one could be considered an NBA hire and the other a HS hire.

But going back to your question, I do think there is a trend to get guys with recruiting appeal. Even though UCLA missed out many candidates, Earl Watson was rumored as a slight possibility, and he's only a possibility due to recruiting ties. Ewing at G'town, and Mullins at St John's also meet the mold that Penny and Juwan do, and I think all these moves are aimed at jumpstarting the program's recruiting appeal (granted, hiring alums has always been a trend). That's why to me Howard is sort of surprising move. Michigan doesn't need to jumpstart anything...

FWIW - Tony Bennett also played in the NBA, as did a lot of other coaches.

He may end up being successful and I wish him well, but I think this can only be viewed as a huge downgrade. Beilein was at the absolute pinnacle of college coaching acumen for the current players/rules/makeup of our game.

Oh for sure - I can't imagine anyone, even die hard Blue fans, thinking that this isn't a downgrade. In fact, if I were a Michigan fan, I'd be annoyed that the program didn't get a bigger fish with more collegiate experience. Good luck to him though.

Outside of Bennett/Cal/K is there anyone who wouldn’t be a downgrade?

Juwan has gotten lots of praise for his coaching on the NBA level. I actually really like this hire. He won’t be dropping bags, er, recruiting like Penny but I think he’s gonna be good.

for what it's worth, Phil Martelli is now an asst at Michigan. Nice addition, although I wonder how that dynamic will work. I've been a Martelli fan ever since he professionally told Packer to go **** himself.
I can't imagine a better bench coach at the college level for a 1st time head coach. As long as the chemistry works, that's a great move by Michigan.

There is a difference between Memphis and Ann Arbor. Penny is an icon in Memphis and can dominate the mid-south recruit pool. He should pull the top 4 Memphis area recruits every year without any problems.

There is a difference between Memphis and Ann Arbor. Penny is an icon in Memphis and can dominate the mid-south recruit pool. He should pull the top 4 Memphis area recruits every year without any problems.
Hoops recruiting is national -- especially for a program like Michigan. The Michigan coach, whomever it is, will have no trouble getting a sit down and a ton of interest from any AAU coach, trainer, event organizer or prospect in the country.

At Memphis, cache of the actual coach matters. At Michigan, I could sign a top 25 class as their HC with the brand, continuity of support staff, shoe company relationship, booster organization, budget and level of assistants I'd have working in my favor.

There was an article in the Post last week, which I didn’t read, with a headline about the “Growing trend to hire coaches who played in the NBA.”

Hoops recruiting is national -- especially for a program like Michigan. The Michigan coach, whomever it is, will have no trouble getting a sit down and a ton of interest from any AAU coach, trainer, event organizer or prospect in the country.

At Memphis, cache of the actual coach matters. At Michigan, I could sign a top 25 class as their HC with the brand, continuity of support staff, shoe company relationship, booster organization, budget and level of assistants I'd have working in my favor.

You’d pull in a top-10 class if you’re on vacation the entire recruiting cycle.

I don't see him going to a football school, and I don't see him at Arizona or USC (or any other school impacted by the scandal)......Billy Donovan at Texas makes a lot of sense to me.
Even when it's down UT is a football school first, b-ball is second but not by much over baseball. I could see Donovan at UT though, talent pool & salary make it an attractive job.

Even when it's down UT is a football school first, b-ball is second but not by much over baseball. I could see Donovan at UT though, talent pool & salary make it an attractive job.

I think there are a ton of similarities for him between that situation and the one he was in at UF for the bulk of his tenure there. You can win big time at Texas.

Back