What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018 Colorado Men's Basketball Roster & Schedule

They fell off so much from the Bzdelik era that they became an RPI killer. It was hard to justify keeping them on the schedule. Especially since it doubled up our RPI exposure with a MWC that has been down. For a 2nd in-state game, UNC makes more sense if that's a direction we want to go.

I wish UNC would put more resources into that program and compete with Weber St and Montana more consistently. The potential is there.

Also wish DU could find a way to join the Big Sky.

I wish UNC would put more resources into that program and compete with Weber St and Montana more consistently. The potential is there.

Also wish DU could find a way to join the Big Sky.

DU to the WCC! I've been banging that drum forever. It's a great cultural fit, and I think it happens if and when BYU ever leaves the conference, especially since hockey conference affiliations are basically irrelevant.

DU to the WCC! I've been banging that drum forever. It's a great cultural fit, and I think it happens if and when BYU ever leaves the conference, especially since hockey conference affiliations are basically irrelevant.
WCC should add DU and Seattle now.

WCC should add DU and Seattle now.

It makes sense from a standpoint of comparable types of institutions and geographically but is due willing and/or able to do what is necessary to be even close to competitive.

They don't put a lot of money into the program and the program doesn't generate a lot of money. They have held some of their home games in an 800 seat gym when Hockey had the Richie Center and didn't sell out.

It makes sense from a standpoint of comparable types of institutions and geographically but is due willing and/or able to do what is necessary to be even close to competitive.

They don't put a lot of money into the program and the program doesn't generate a lot of money. They have held some of their home games in an 800 seat gym when Hockey had the Richie Center and didn't sell out.

I’m unaware of any Men’s game in recent history that has been played in Hamilton, the auxiliary gym, that seats about 2500. The men’s team plays all their games in Magness. Some women’s games do get played in Hamilton. Edit: According to Basketball reference, every home game since the Ritchie Center was built has been played in Magness for the Men's team. The first year the program was back in division 1 in 1998-99 was the last time they played a home game in somewhere other than Magness. It opened the next year.

And we’re talking about the WCC here, not the PAC-12. Gonzaga and BYU have monster arenas that sell out, but the rest of the conference plays in relatively small gyms. St Mary’s has been the second best team in the conference for the last decade+, their gym only seats 3500. My Toreros’ Jenny Craig Pavilion is one of the newer arenas in the conference, it seats 5000 and usually has much closer to 500 people there than 5000.

Frankly, you don’t know what you’re talking about.

Last edited:

When did that happen?

When did that happen?

Honestly have followed them very closely the last couple years but it wasn't that long ago that they had a couple games in the small gym.

Looked it up on their official site. This past season they had 13 home games with an average attendance of 1,158 per. There are high schools that do better than that.

I can understand @torerobuff having an interest in DU because it would mean he would have his team visiting Denver every year but I simply don't see DU ever being popular enough ticket in Denver to make WCC basketball viable.

Yes the WCC is the home of a number of private schools located in urban areas but DU doesn't have the same kind of support as those schools do. They weren't very competitive in the Summit Conference they are in which is nowhere near the level of the WCC.

They did play Gonzaga last year, a 101-40 loss.

Honestly have followed them very closely the last couple years but it wasn't that long ago that they had a couple games in the small gym.

Looked it up on their official site. This past season they had 13 home games with an average attendance of 1,158 per. There are high schools that do better than that.

I can understand @torerobuff having an interest in DU because it would mean he would have his team visiting Denver every year but I simply don't see DU ever being popular enough ticket in Denver to make WCC basketball viable.

Yes the WCC is the home of a number of private schools located in urban areas but DU doesn't have the same kind of support as those schools do. They weren't very competitive in the Summit Conference they are in which is nowhere near the level of the WCC.

Two things with that-One, DU in the WCC would be like most schools in the Big 12.....they struggle with attendance, but when Gonzaga comes rolling in, people will come. Second, more of a general question-what about trying to play Gonzaga at the Pepsi Center?

Two things with that-One, DU in the WCC would be like most schools in the Big 12.....they struggle with attendance, but when Gonzaga comes rolling in, people will come. Second, more of a general question-what about trying to play Gonzaga at the Pepsi Center?

Good response.

A lot of B12 schools do struggle with attendance but it is relative. their is a huge difference between averaging "only" 7,000 a game vs. just over 1,000. My impression is that outside of some alums and long time supporters most people in the Denver metro area don't even register DU as having sports other than seeing their hockey team on the sports report occasionally. The hockey team has a very solid fan base but I don' think there is much overlap into other sports. Even CU struggles to get any traction in the Denver market for basketball other than when we have a star like Chauncey or are a tournament level team.

Part of all this is I don't think Denver is much of a college basketball city. Yes we have done well when regionals have been played in Denver but those are more events than games for many fans and a lot of those fans came from outside Denver.

Gonzaga is a great program and I would love to see them play but I don't think enough fans in Denver or the region recognize that and care to come close to justifying the Pepsi Center and a lot of the fans who come would be Gonzaga fans and not translate into local college basketball fans.

My interest in DU goes beyond my alma mater. My dad is a DU basketball alum. He was very close to the program for a long time, but was not close during the Joe Scott era. Rodney seems to have done a better job of connecting with the past members of the program, Joe Scott was kind of a dick. And according to basketball reference, the men's team has never played in the small gym. I certainly don't recall a game ever being in there.

You're also wrong about the WCC. The WCC does not equal Gonzaga. Aside from Gonzaga and BYU, the rest of the conference has similar support to Denver. San Francisco and LMU have history, but this is not a conference that is drawing thousands and thousands of fans. The average conference attendance in 2018 was 3575 according to the NCAA. BYU averaged 14,000+ because Mormons, Gonzaga averaged 6000 (which is a sellout, I thought their arena had like 9000, I was mistaken), San Diego had 1857 with their best team in the last 10 years, including a Gonzaga sellout like @ahoelsken mentioned, and a San Diego State sellout. But the most important point, the WCC is not just Gonzaga. No matter how many times you try to compare DU to Gonzaga.

Edit: This tangent should probably be spun off into it's own thread instead of the stickied schedule thread. Mods?

My interest in DU goes beyond my alma mater. My dad is a DU basketball alum. He was very close to the program for a long time, but was not close during the Joe Scott era. Rodney seems to have done a better job of connecting with the past members of the program, Joe Scott was kind of a dick. And according to basketball reference, the men's team has never played in the small gym. I certainly don't recall a game ever being in there.

You're also wrong about the WCC. The WCC does not equal Gonzaga. Aside from Gonzaga and BYU, the rest of the conference has similar support to Denver. San Francisco and LMU have history, but this is not a conference that is drawing thousands and thousands of fans. The average conference attendance in 2018 was 3575 according to the NCAA. BYU averaged 14,000+ because Mormons, Gonzaga averaged 6000 (which is a sellout, I thought their arena had like 9000, I was mistaken), San Diego had 1857 with their best team in the last 10 years, including a Gonzaga sellout like @ahoelsken mentioned, and a San Diego State sellout. But the most important point, the WCC is not just Gonzaga. No matter how many times you try to compare DU to Gonzaga.

Edit: This tangent should probably be spun off into it's own thread instead of the stickied schedule thread. Mods?

No the WCC isn't just Gonazaga, I was making the argument during the season that the conference is moving up. This past season they had five 20 win teams on BYU wasn't one of them. St. Mary's was a quality team last year. USF has a solid history and is an improving program. Loyola, etc.

DU is a program that has struggled to get traction in any league they have been in and most recently haven't been successful in the Summit which is well below the quality of the WCC. That is one of the problems with your idea. If the WCC was just a bad league with one or two good teams they might have a chance for success. Honestly how many teams in the WCC are at a level low enough to be comparable to DU.

And looking at schools sites from the WCC some schools don't have great attendance compared to big state schools but even averaging 2,000-4,000 a home game is way ahead of what DU is getting at 1,100 per.

DU has tried to increase attendance without a lot of impact. Outside of Gonzaga how many of the WCC teams are going to make a big impact on DU attendance. By your own admission they don't draw great crowds at home. These aren't schools with big alumni bases in Colorado, how does this magically make DU competitive.

No the WCC isn't just Gonazaga, I was making the argument during the season that the conference is moving up. This past season they had five 20 win teams on BYU wasn't one of them. St. Mary's was a quality team last year. USF has a solid history and is an improving program. Loyola, etc.

DU is a program that has struggled to get traction in any league they have been in and most recently haven't been successful in the Summit which is well below the quality of the WCC. That is one of the problems with your idea. If the WCC was just a bad league with one or two good teams they might have a chance for success. Honestly how many teams in the WCC are at a level low enough to be comparable to DU.

And looking at schools sites from the WCC some schools don't have great attendance compared to big state schools but even averaging 2,000-4,000 a home game is way ahead of what DU is getting at 1,100 per.

DU has tried to increase attendance without a lot of impact. Outside of Gonzaga how many of the WCC teams are going to make a big impact on DU attendance. By your own admission they don't draw great crowds at home. These aren't schools with big alumni bases in Colorado, how does this magically make DU competitive.

It’s not that you’re ignorant, it’s just that you know so much that isn’t so. I never said DU magically becomes competitive in the WCC. I said it’s a conference fit that makes sense. The Summit league is a terrible fit for Denver. They were competitive for several years in the Sun Belt, but that league was also a terrible fit. I’m not an expert on everything like you think you are, but I’m pretty damn confident in my knowledge of WCC and DU basketball. DU (and Seattle h/t @Buffnik) should join the WCC.

It’s not that you’re ignorant, it’s just that you know so much that isn’t so. I never said DU magically becomes competitive in the WCC. I said it’s a conference fit that makes sense. The Summit league is a terrible fit for Denver. They were competitive for several years in the Sun Belt, but that league was also a terrible fit. I’m not an expert on everything like you think you are, but I’m pretty damn confident in my knowledge of WCC and DU basketball. DU (and Seattle h/t @Buffnik) should join the WCC.
The Sun Belt was a bad league with a lot of terrible teams. You can disagree and I respect your right to do so but in basketball DU would be in way over their heads with little to no chance of ever competing with the better programs or even middle ones.

Hmm, is this your dad?

sinbad-interview-shazaam_fullsize_story1.jpg

3z4KNGw9KS_Dsi0GNXapI1aY0Y0Kz8zZB43owYIaHMk.png

Denver would fit fine in the WCC in regards to attendance. 7/10 schools are in the bottom left area of this graph. Just wanted to hammer home this point with fresh data found from the interwebz. Note: this graph shows teams from last years top 11 KenPom conferences. Source:

Other points of interest to me: UNLV is struggling, that used to an arena that was always rocking. Fusker math somehow allows for over 100% of capacity. Arizona St. somehow has almost full capacity? That can't be accurate. Wazzu, yeah, that's pretty ugly. Worse than the sheep. And the Carrier Dome is very very very large, I don't think it actually seats almost 50,000 for basketball though.

Jack Boyle plays at Pomona-Pitzer. Non-con leaves a lot to be desired.
DATEOPPONENTLOCATIONTIME (MT)TV
Saturday, Oct. 26POMONA-PITZER (Exh.)BOULDER1 p.m.
Friday, Nov. 8 (in U.S.)#-vs. Arizona StateShanghai, China8:30 p.m.ESPN2
Saturday, Nov. 16SAN DIEGOBOULDER8 p.m.PAC12
Monday, Nov. 18^-UC IRVINEBOULDER7 p.m.PAC12
Sunday, Nov. 24^-vs. WyomingLas Vegas, Nev.6 p.m.ESPN3
Tuesday, Nov. 26^-vs. TCU/ClemsonLas Vegas, Nev.7/9:30 p.m.TBA/ESPN2
Saturday, Nov. 30SACRAMENTO STATEBOULDER7 p.m.PAC12
Wednesday, Dec. 4LOYOLA MARYMOUNTBOULDER8 p.m.PAC12
Saturday, Dec. 7at KansasLawrence, Kan.TBATBA
Tuesday, Dec. 10NORTHERN IOWABOULDER7 p.m.PAC12
Friday, Dec. 13at Colorado StateFort Collins, Colo.6 p.m.CBSSN
Thursday, Dec. 19PRAIRIE VIEW A&MBOULDER6:30 p.m.PAC12
Saturday, Dec. 21$-vs. DaytonChicago, Ill.TBATBA
Thursday, Jan. 2*OREGONBOULDER7 p.m.ESPN2
Sunday, Jan. 5*OREGON STATEBOULDER4 p.m.ESPNU
Sunday, Jan. 12*UTAHBOULDER4 p.m.ESPNU
Thursday, Jan. 16*at Arizona StateTempe, Ariz.7 p.m.ESPN/2
Saturday, Jan. 18*at ArizonaTucson, Ariz.12:30 p.m.FOX
Thursday, Jan. 23*WASHINGTON STATEBOULDER8 p.m.PAC12
Saturday, Jan. 25*WASHINGTONBOULDER7 p.m.FS1
Thursday, Jan. 30*at UCLALos Angeles, Calif.9 p.m.ESPN2
Saturday, Feb. 1*at USCLos Angeles, Calif.8:30 p.m.FS1
Thursday, Feb. 6*CALIFORNIABOULDER6 p.m.PAC12
Saturday, Feb. 8*STANFORDBOULDER4 p.m.PAC12
Thursday, Feb. 13*at OregonEugene, Ore.7 p.m.ESPN/2
Saturday, Feb. 15*at Oregon StateCorvallis, Ore.8 p.m.FS1
Thursday, Feb. 20*USCBOULDER7 p.m.ESPN/2
Saturday, Feb. 22*UCLABOULDER2 p.m.CBS
Thursday, Feb. 27*at CaliforniaBerkeley, Calif.7 p.m.PAC12
Sunday, Mar. 1*at StanfordStanford, Calif.4 p.m.ESPNU
Saturday, Mar. 7*at UtahSalt Lake City, Utah12:30 p.m.PAC12
March 11-14Pac-12 TournamentLas Vegas, Nev.TBA
March 17-18NCAA First FourDayton, OhioTBA
March 19-22NCAA 1st & 2nd RoundsTBATBA
March 26-29NCAA RegionalTBATBA
April 4-6NCAA Final FourAtlanta, Ga.TBA

That's solid.

ASU in Shanghai
Dayton in Chicago
Kansas in Lawrence

Several good mid-level programs:
San Diego
UCI
Northern Iowa
LMU

Plus the Vegas tourney

Home schedule isn't great-Is Northern Iowa a one-off? Dayton should help, Kansas should help, and TCU/Clemson should help the NCAA case. Better than last year. Getting CBS here for UCLA is solid.

That's solid.

ASU in Shanghai
Dayton in Chicago
Kansas in Lawrence

Several good mid-level programs:
San Diego
UCI
Northern Iowa
LMU

Plus the Vegas tourney

Irvine won 31 games last year. That's a really good program, but they might be due for a drop off this year. I think my Toreros are going to suck. 3 best players from last years NIT team graduated. Pretty sure LMU will have some big aspirations in the WCC this year,

I'm satisfied with this year's non-con. On last year's RPI:
USD 81
UCI 60
Wyoming 329
TCU 49/Clemson 66
Sac state 258
Loyola 110
Kansas 4
UNI 153
CSU 236
Prairie View 150
Dayton 76

5 top-100s, you can excuse the CSU one so just 2 out of the 100s ;) . And that marquis matchup with KU.

I'm satisfied with this year's non-con. On last year's RPI:
USD 81
UCI 60
Wyoming 329
TCU 49/Clemson 66
Sac state 258
Loyola 110
Kansas 4
UNI 153
CSU 236
Prairie View 150
Dayton 76

5 top-100s, you can excuse the CSU one so just 2 out of the 100s ;) . And that marquis matchup with KU.
USD 98
UCI 71
Wyoming 323
TCU 47/Clemson 45
Sac state 271
Loyola 141
Kansas 17
UNI 170
CSU 193
Prairie View 206
Dayton 70

I was curious, so I updated with final NET Rankings from last year, but your point still remains.

USD 98
UCI 71
Wyoming 323
TCU 47/Clemson 45
Sac state 271
Loyola 141
Kansas 17
UNI 170
CSU 193
Prairie View 206
Dayton 70

I was curious, so I updated with final NET Rankings from last year, but your point still remains.

Oh yeah, good ol NET. I kinda forgot about that, thanks for the update! Mostly lower, but CSU in to top 200 🎉

Back