What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018 Recruiting Recap and notes (with a rant)

It’s a waste of time recruiting Vegas - signed @MtnBuff

Never said there isn't talent there. Still waiting for somebody to show me how the time we have spent there in past years has turned out for us.

Unless we can get an assistant who has shown he can get Vegas kids to sign on the line and fax the paper I don't see the benefit.

Don't show me hopeful, show me results for the investment.

Vegas kids have gone to California schools, some to AZ schools, in recent years some to Ohio State and I think Michigan has picked up a couple. How many P5 kids have come to CU from there? We have had visits but they didn't sign.

Again if we hired an assistant who has had success there, if you could show me why our results are going to be different, then I'm fine with it but just doing more of the same without results is stupid.

We have had kids visit with basically putting effort into recruiting a handful of players. That is not wasted time, no matter how stubborn you choose to be on this issue. This is the ultimate no downside scenario.

There is no way signing a player in the 2019 class would have you suddenly praising LV as a recruiting hotbed.

I was looking at the San Diego State class and it has 3 Las Vegas guys. While I realize they are not P5, they did beat both Stanford and ASU this year, so they have some players for sure. So I thought I'd take a look.

Rivals shows 21 guys from 2018 have committed or signed from Las Vegas area (all levels).
Rivals shows 15 guys from 2018 have committed or signed from the state of Colorado (all levels).

That number will only grow as the population grows. High Polynesian and African American influx.

2017 saw Las Vegas produce the following:
Cal - 2
USC - 2
SDSU -1
UCLA -1
Arizona - 4
Air Force -1
Ohio St - 2
UNLV - 3
Nevada -1
Fresno State -1
Nebraska -1
ASU -1
Utah St. -1

Colorado produced:
CU - 4
CSU - 3
Miss St - 1
Michigan - 1
Va Tech - 1
Air Force - 1
Wyoming -2
WSU - 1
Auburn (kicker)

That's 33% more D1 players than Colorado. All within 30 minutes of the airport. No brainer.

Good research. Thanks.

Never said there isn't talent there. Still waiting for somebody to show me how the time we have spent there in past years has turned out for us.

Unless we can get an assistant who has shown he can get Vegas kids to sign on the line and fax the paper I don't see the benefit.

Don't show me hopeful, show me results for the investment.

Vegas kids have gone to California schools, some to AZ schools, in recent years some to Ohio State and I think Michigan has picked up a couple. How many P5 kids have come to CU from there? We have had visits but they didn't sign.

Again if we hired an assistant who has had success there, if you could show me why our results are going to be different, then I'm fine with it but just doing more of the same without results is stupid.
:ROFLMAO:

Can someone break down the chances we have with these TNFR OL? Also, what about Rakeem Boyd? I understand its mostly speculation but realistically what are our chances because I think these three can make or break this class. With them this is an entirely different team in my opinion.

I wonder what barrier Mtn thinks we inherently have with LV kids. That they are somehow different than SoCal kids. They are afraid to travel East?

Can someone break down the chances we have with these TNFR OL? Also, what about Rakeem Boyd? I understand its mostly speculation but realistically what are our chances because I think these three can make or break this class. With them this is an entirely different team in my opinion.
Really like their chances with Boyd and Wallace. Boyd may end up blowing up though.

I wonder what barrier Mtn thinks we inherently have with LV kids. That they are somehow different than SoCal kids. They are afraid to travel East?

I wish we would have had in roads to Bishop Gorman sooner, they produce sone good athletes, the DT rogers, and the two db's last year.

I wish I knew what the barrier was, I don't. We have gotten SoCal kids to CU, the Nevada kids don't come.

What I know is that we have repeatedly gotten our hopes up as our coaches have tried to work these kids, even to the point of having some of them visit, only to see them go everywhere but to Boulder.

If we hired an assistant who has had success there then I would support more attempts but I'm tired of seeing us piss down our leg when we could be using that effort other places.

Here's the barrier: Nothing.

It's no different than recruiting AZ. It's a stopover on any flight to the west. It's neither expensive nor time consuming.

When you recruit So. Cal, you spend several days hitting all the major hotspots, with major traffic jams in between. You can hit Phoenix, Las Vegas, Sacramento, SLC and Central Valley in one day trips. They are all fruitful and take investment.

To ignore Las Vegas because we haven't had success is DUMB. Work harder. It's going to continue to grow and there's a ton of talent there, not to mention a ton of Polynesians. This ain't El Paso, Albuquerque or Tucson. There's a hotbed here within 20 minutes of the airport.

Ignore it? **** no, fix it by focusing some time there.

What's so funny about this whole debate is Mtn is acting like this board has agonized over several players from LV every year, which is just not the case. It was basically 3-4 players in 2017 and that's about it.

What's so funny about this whole debate is Mtn is acting like this board has agonized over several players from LV every year, which is just not the case. It was basically 3-4 players in 2017 and that's about it.
And I think ALL of those guys were unlikely from the start and we saw it as seed-planting!

A good sales manager is going to analyze it. What are the barriers?
I see none. Las Vegas would be on my board (behind a few others) to crack.

Mountain, lack of historical success is not a barrier. It's a challenge.

I know there is room for improvement in this class, but I don’t think three guys make or break it. It’s a solid class already that can be improved significantly. Perhaps a semantic discussion, but placing the “make or break” label on these guys seems like an exaggeration to me.

I know there is room for improvement in this class, but I don’t think three guys make or break it. It’s a solid class already that can be improved significantly. Perhaps a semantic discussion, but placing the “make or break” label on these guys seems like an exaggeration to me.

Well they could be the difference between a low 40s class or a low 30s class. And seeing as all three could potentially be starters at positions we need bad I personally am dying to sign these guys.

Got to believe that our DC is focused on finding some pass rush help. Bennion, Hasselbach and Mathewes are not the answer. Would presume that didn't excite them either. I'd be shocked if a few of those guys are still around come May.

Last edited:
Something overlooked a lot in the rush to embrace JUCOs: 15 of 21 JUCO signees since 2014 went to high schools outside the recruiting footprint. That cannot help overall high school recruiting.

Also, recruiting states like Hawaii and Utah only makes sense if you have an effective Poly recruiter. It is a glaring black hole on this staff and directly has led to deficiencies in recruiting the trenches.
Totally agree! It makes no sense that CU doesn't have a guy on the staff to recruit polynesian players, considering the amount of football talent in that community, in a neighboring state.

Which for the Buffs is exactly the point. We have been recruiting Nevada the past few years and have gotten virtually no talent out of it.

No argument that the players are there but so far despite our efforts they ain't comin' here. That is the point. I don't know why they aren't but we have made the efforts with close to zero results. There are other places our time would be better spent.
There is too much talent in Vegas at a school like Bishop Gorman, not to recruit it. If we get one guy, and he is successful you will see more players out of there

after watching the bowls i think i would start recruiting the midwest for olineman..id be more than happy to take wisco leftovers
We have gotten players from the midwest in the past(Quinn Sypnewski comes to mind). That should be an area where CU makes more of a footprint recruiting

There is too much talent in Vegas at a school like Bishop Gorman, not to recruit it. If we get one guy, and he is successful you will see more players out of there
We have gotten players from the midwest in the past(Quinn Sypnewski comes to mind). That should be an area where CU makes more of a footprint recruiting

If somebody can come up with a strategy that will get us Vegas kids then I'm all for it. I've been a Buff fan for longer than some of you guys have been alive (yes that makes me an old fart) and I've seen the Vegas kids go other places.

Maybe we have an assistant who spends part of the off-season developing relationships with the coaches down there, maybe we promote the heck out of our camps. What I do know is that those kids keep ending up in California, Arizona, or in other places but not here.

Agree with you about the Midwest. There is a lot of talent in the Midwest and even with a lot of schools there a lot of those kids are open to leaving. They aren't scared of Colorado's reputation for snow and cold, they know better.

Vegas is worthwhile for the effort it takes even if we've only been successful so far at establishing relationships with high schools and programs. Just keep cracking away at it because the talent is there and once we crack the code we'll see it build. Similarly with Arizona and Oklahoma.

As far as the rest of the Midwest, I don't know where we'd want to go. There aren't enough players to make it worthwhile unless we're maybe talking about Missouri and Illinois. Or if people consider Ohio and Western PA to be "midwest". I feel different about basketball. Very different. Lots of reason to get to know the AAUs from Kansas City, St. Louis, Chicago and within the Indianapolis-Louisville-Cincinnati triangle. But, football? Nah. Focus on CO, CA and TX while doing also having a presence in AZ, OK, NV, LA and UT. That's plenty of ground to cover with more than enough talent to build a Top 10 program.

Didn't CU used to recruit Michigan a bit? It would be a waste now probably just wondered.
We've recruited a "bit" in Michigan. And Pennsylvania. And Ohio. And Tennessee. And Kentucky. And North Carolina. And Washington D.C. And New Jersey. And Illinois. There's nothing wrong at all with any of those places. The problem is that CU can't be everywhere and any time spent there is time not spent within a footprint that doesn't lack for talent.

Of all of them, the one that might make some sense to me for sending someone like Els on a trip every year is Illinois. It's got a pretty high number of CU alums, puts out a good amount of talent within driving distance of Midway airport, and there's not much loyalty to the in-state flagship. But, again, I'd like that more for basketball than football.

St. Louis and Kansas City areas would be good to recruit because there is an alumni presence in those areas and some schools that produce some talent. I wouldn't venture past that going east. The I-35 corridor can be recruited as well (not much effort as you would already cover Dallas and the jucos).

Something overlooked a lot in the rush to embrace JUCOs: 15 of 21 JUCO signees since 2014 went to high schools outside the recruiting footprint. That cannot help overall high school recruiting.

Also, recruiting states like Hawaii and Utah only makes sense if you have an effective Poly recruiter. It is a glaring black hole on this staff and directly has led to deficiencies in recruiting the trenches.

One of the reasons I'm very pro on situational JUCO recruiting is that we are often the best and most high-profile program competing for a guy. It's also kind of situational as to position. Not a great strategy as to QBs and OLs obviously, but can work well for WRs, DBs, and D-Linemen. It's a niche, and you've got to filter for character and academic issues, but once you've done that, and scouted well, IMO it's easier to win the battle for a 3yrs-to-play-2yrs guy over Southern Miss, UTEP, KSU, and Utah State, than it is to beat out UCLA, Oregon, and Washington for a Pac Time Zone high schooler. Also, not all JUCO programs are created equal so you have to have a coach on staff who understands that road map as to level of competition.

Agree massively with your second point. There's no reason CU can't get up to speed to be in the mix for some Poly players. We'll never beat Utah or BYU overall in this, but we should be competitive and get a good player now and then.

Back