What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018 Recruiting Recap and notes (with a rant)

Totally agree! It makes no sense that CU doesn't have a guy on the staff to recruit polynesian players, considering the amount of football talent in that community, in a neighboring state.

Are you saying that we need a Polynesian coach on staff to be able to recruit Poly players? Not being critical, just asking an honest question. Is that common knowledge that you have to be Poly to recruit Poly? Or maybe I'm off in the ditch and didn't quite comprehend.

Are you saying that we need a Polynesian coach on staff to be able to recruit Poly players? Not being critical, just asking an honest question. Is that common knowledge that you have to be Poly to recruit Poly? Or maybe I'm off in the ditch and didn't quite comprehend.
I think that if Boulder had a large Pacific Islander community it wouldn’t matter much. But you’ve got to be able to make it so a recruit feels like it’s home and gets a family vibe. Hard to create without a PI “uncle” type in the program.

Of all of them, the one that might make some sense to me for sending someone like Els on a trip every year is Illinois. It's got a pretty high number of CU alums, puts out a good amount of talent within driving distance of Midway airport, and there's not much loyalty to the in-state flagship. But, again, I'd like that more for basketball than football.
I don't disagree with your premise, but **** Midway. The big uptick in DI recruits in recent years has seemed to come from the NW suburbs, so O'Hare would be a better bet. In just the last few years, over a half dozen Big 10 recruits have come out of my hometown, which is crazy considering we always used to suck in that area. Yeah, now a lot of those recruits have been great linemen, and there is no allegiance to any specific school, as most of them have gone to Iowa or Northwestern.

Chicago area kids aren't brainwashed to love a school like in some other states (except for Catholics who revere Notre Dame), and I do think Colorado could actually make some inroads there. I've never considered this, but after you brought it up and I thought about it, it's true. Even way back when, 4 students from my graduating class of 325 went to CU, and none were on athletic scholarship.

It almost seems too easy of a fix to bring on Sefo next year. He showed he has tremendous leadership abilities and clearly has a work ethic. I would love to see him as a grad assistant recruiter or something of that nature (if it even exists.) I don't know if he will ever have fundamental football knowledge that will allow him to succeed as a coach, not because I doubt him, but simply because I actually cannot attest to that. But I find it hard to believe that he couldn't build relationships with the type of recruits we haven't had success with recently.

@Buffnik I see you said LA is in decline, but our new DL coach is a former coach of two New Orleans schools (Saint Augustine High School and Tulane). Could be beneficial to have him spend time there. Maybe he could be the revitalization we need.

@Buffnik I see you said LA is in decline, but our new DL coach is a former coach of two New Orleans schools (Saint Augustine High School and Tulane). Could be beneficial to have him spend time there. Maybe he could be the revitalization we need.
Could be. I think it would help that he recruited at Tulane, too, so he knows how to recruit to more of the college atmosphere you see at one of the upper Pac-12 academic institutions. Definitely recruiting Houston, which has a lot of Louisiana transplants and family connections. It's only natural to recruit some Louisiana if we're focused so much on Houston.

Could be. I think it would help that he recruited at Tulane, too, so he knows how to recruit to more of the college atmosphere you see at one of the upper Pac-12 academic institutions. Definitely recruiting Houston, which has a lot of Louisiana transplants and family connections. It's only natural to recruit some Louisiana if we're focused so much on Houston.

The Louisiana transplant in Houston is a very good point, maybe they are taking a unique angle to really get a foothold. Will be interesting to see what his success is, I haven't been able to find much on him so not much to go off of.

We've recruited a "bit" in Michigan. And Pennsylvania. And Ohio. And Tennessee. And Kentucky. And North Carolina. And Washington D.C. And New Jersey. And Illinois. There's nothing wrong at all with any of those places. The problem is that CU can't be everywhere and any time spent there is time not spent within a footprint that doesn't lack for talent.

Of all of them, the one that might make some sense to me for sending someone like Els on a trip every year is Illinois. It's got a pretty high number of CU alums, puts out a good amount of talent within driving distance of Midway airport, and there's not much loyalty to the in-state flagship. But, again, I'd like that more for basketball than football.
There are big time athletes in the Chicago area. May not be highly rated football players, but you get raw athletic talent from inner cities, give them top notch S&C work, great coaching, and you have a player in 3 or 4 yrs

Im not sure that its a requirement to have a poly coach to recruit poly players, but it wouldn't hurt. I feel like we could get a lot of talent from that community if we emphasized it in recruiting.

If somebody can come up with a strategy that will get us Vegas kids then I'm all for it. I've been a Buff fan for longer than some of you guys have been alive (yes that makes me an old fart) and I've seen the Vegas kids go other places.

Maybe we have an assistant who spends part of the off-season developing relationships with the coaches down there, maybe we promote the heck out of our camps. What I do know is that those kids keep ending up in California, Arizona, or in other places but not here.

Agree with you about the Midwest. There is a lot of talent in the Midwest and even with a lot of schools there a lot of those kids are open to leaving. They aren't scared of Colorado's reputation for snow and cold, they know better.
Pritchard is from Vegas. CSU has gotten a couple good athletes over the yrs from Vegas also. There could be a way to make some inroads out that way.

Pritchard is from Vegas. CSU has gotten a couple good athletes over the yrs from Vegas also. There could be a way to make some inroads out that way.

And Pritchard has been retired from the NFL for how long. Having to go back that far to find one recruit tends to make my point.

Ok, guys. You got me.

If our next CU head coach is a former state champion HS coach in MI who then has been an assistant coach who led recruiting efforts at UM for a decade, I will get on board with making it a priority to recruit the state of Michigan.

I was just trying to complete the list, and didn't know anyone was trying to make a point. I guess I should have read back. CJ attended Detroit Country Day with Chris Webber.

Last edited:
CJ the QB was from Detroit. HS with Chris Webber. Charles Johnson the wide receiver who played for Pittsburgh was from California. He was a 1st rounder in 1994. 17th pick.

The Steelers took at least 1 Buff for 5 consecutive seasons - '91-'95. They took 2 in '93 - Deon in the 1st and Chad Brown in the 2nd.

No. 8 Charles Johnson (Birmingham Detroit Country Day Class of 1987) – Was a speedy and accurate-armed, dual-threat quarterback that led Country Day to a state championship in 1986. Johnson threw the game-winning touchdown to current Country Day assistant coach Steve Mann Sr. (Wyoming) as time expired in the Yellowjackets’ 18-14 victory over Muskegon Catholic Central in the Class C state finals at the Pontiac Silverdome. In college, he navigated the University of Colorado to the 1990 National Championship and was named MVP of the 1991 Orange Bowl. Today, Johnson is the assistant athletic director at Colorado.

Last edited:
  • I only needed to look at one, I already knew where CJ, the WR, was from. The other CJ, I wasn't sure and his middle name does start with an S.

By the way, went ahead and looked at Charles Johnson on wiki. Charles Everett Johnson played at Cajon HS in San Bernardino. Also, it mentions Charles S. Johnson the qb on the top of the page. Not that it matters but that's what I wrote in the first place.

Back