What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2019 Buff football in retrospect

If the team doesn't win 6 games next year something has gone way haywire. I'd predict 7, with 8 if the planets line up right and we get a lucky bounce here or there.
Hope you're right. How many teams on the schedule will CU have a talent advantage over? I don't count 7.

Hope you're right. How many teams on the schedule will CU have a talent advantage over? I don't count 7.

ASU, Furd, and Washington were more talented on paper than we were this year. I think that the execution gets a little better and that we hit on a couple of the incoming class guys as to early impact. I also think that guys like Sami and Arias make big jumps. I'm thinking that Landman returns. I'm not a rose colored glasses guy but I'm still on the Mel Train.....

5-7 is 5-7. It sucks and outside perspective would make it look as if we made zero progress this year.

my takeaways:

*Team loves their coach, they play hard for their coach and the culture, dedication and effort feels different.

*Recruiting looks to be taking off compared to past seasons, there is noticeable momentum here.

*Team started well, spiraled AGAIN but this time was able to turn the tide and win 2 straight games. This team wins 3 games in 2018 of this is the old staff.

I want wins, as much as anyone here. But, there’s a noticeable difference in everything around the program. We have the talent to win 6 games, now it’s up to the coaches to not fail the kids and vice versa.

This team wins 6 games and no less next season. If we can’t reach 6 there’s reason for concern.

My take is that after losing 5 straight, it seemed like Stanford and Washington were upsets. But Stanford ended 4-8 and Washington 6-6, and we had both at home. Yes Washington had some talent but no motivation. In retrospect, beating both was not that surprising.
I think you have to look at how highly Washington and Stanford have recruited before you discount the quality of those wins

It all comes down to definitions. If "rough" means non-bowl seasons, I think expecting until year four for a bowl is way too patient.
Yes I think we could be on the edge again next year but given we could/should have been in bowl games last year and this year, stepping into bowl eligibility shouldn’t be hard. I’m wanting to get to a more dominant level, 8-4 or 9-3 routinely. Losing half your games is rough to me.

Before the season, I was looking at 2020 as a bowl less season due to the road game at A&M and the P12 schedule which will still be tough one way or the other. At the end of this season, I'm more hopeful for a bowl game next season since the Buffs appear to have a running game in addition to talent at WR. The offense should make a jump next season since it will be the second year of the offense under Jay Johnson and I love the idea of being more a run based offense which is an offense we haven't seen in Boulder in awhile. Having a strong running game is truly CU football at its best. The DL made strides over the course of the season and was playing good near the end of the season so that is progress and would be bolstered if Johnson comes back next season. We should be getting Landman back and we need to see LB recruiting get better because we only have one more season of Landman. But my gosh, the safeties need to be improved next season and I think that is where Tucker will focus more during this offseason. We got a kicker but who will be punting the ball next season?

Aaghcsm and BuffsRock85 takes are solid. A 5-7 season is not good, but I'll take this 5-7 over others given others given the positive recruiting momentum and winning the last 2 of 3. Pulling out of the 5 game swoon was huge. Being MT's fist year I feel there is a passion, vision, and better vibe for the future. The defensive install yields some optimism. SBP has a good point about the quality of athletes on Stanford and UW games, especially in the trenches.

Presuming Alfano plays (somewhere near projections-- an impact player) and the overall talent on defense is an upgrade, 6-8 wins is possible next year, yet a tough schedule (no Cal, OSU on schedule), so really 6-7 may be more realistic. 8 wins and Tucker has things rolling.

I think the biggest hurdle will be installing/reboot of the offense given all the new players and the QB situation. I sort of anticipate MT and staff will make substantial changes in the offense, so it may be like the defense this year--steep learning curve and growing pains. That could lead to a flat season with it very difficult to win on the road. I hope Kap is real and the Oline develops.

With 7 games in the state of Colorado (CSU is in Ft. Collins but true rebuild), next seasons fortunes will lie in winning 5-6 games in Colorado and stealing one, maybe two on the road. Patience will be a virtue, but if the recruiting pops this year, I see a great year 3 for MT.

With the old staff and culture, The Buffs might win 1-3 games. The way CSU nipped at the heels for the first half, might have sent MM into the fritz, kNU going up 17-0 in the first half might have been check out time. Who knows? Maybe with a more comfortable defensive scheme, the Buffs find that elusive 6th win?

I think that, in the end, the program is on the right track.

The Arizona loss was bad.
The Air Force loss was poor. The Stanford and Washington wins were unexpected. Looking forward to seeing if momentum can be maintained.
Air Force ran the table in the MWC (won all games by 14+), went 10-2 and are ranked #25. We should have won that game, but that loss isn't as bad as it seemed at the time. Clearly, they were a pretty good team.

My take is that after losing 5 straight, it seemed like Stanford and Washington were upsets. But Stanford ended 4-8 and Washington 6-6, and we had both at home. Yes Washington had some talent but no motivation. In retrospect, beating both was not that surprising.

Actually, UW finished 7-5 and rolled WSU in the Apple Cup. Their 5 losses were by a total of 26 points.

That was a clear upset and a HUGE win for us.

I only saw 3 games. Nebraska, U$C, and UU. Eye test showed me a better CU team. Battling back to beat huskers after being down significantly at the half. Playing SC to a standstill (without one tall & talented receiver SC loses that game!) and leading for most of it. And there was no discernable fear against a total 'peak Utah' team. Don't have anything to say about rest of games - but the effort against SC and determination against Nebr was enough for me to believe in CU improvement next year?

Air Force, UA and USC are all games we can look at and say “we could have won those games had we done just a couple things better”. But the game that infuriates me more than any of those is the UCLA game. UCLA is dog ****, and we let them roll right through us. Inexcusable. When you are a team like CU, you’re going to lose some close games like Air Force and UA. It happens. That UCLA game was horrible.

Air Force, UA and USC are all games we can look at and say “we could have won those games had we done just a couple things better”. But the game that infuriates me more than any of those is the UCLA game. UCLA is dog ****, and we let them roll right through us. Inexcusable. When you are a team like CU, you’re going to lose some close games like Air Force and UA. It happens. That UCLA game was horrible.
True, but they seemed to wake up after that game. I think part of it was they just had their hearts ripped out vs SC.

Tough season. Next year is all Buff fans are left with, so here's to wishful thinking and more wins in 2020!

I think SC was more deserving for us to win.
Falo falls on that fumble and we are bowling right now. That’s how close we were to bowling.

I have hope for next year. If we have a QB that doesn’t think the second check down is the people in the stands that would help. If the QB can look around and recognize wide open receivers running free, that would help. If the QB can hit receivers in stride that would help. If the QB could stop running into pressure that would help.

Air Force ran the table in the MWC (won all games by 14+), went 10-2 and are ranked #25. We should have won that game, but that loss isn't as bad as it seemed at the time. Clearly, they were a pretty good team.

I don't disagree that AFA has a good team, but they actually lost the very next game up in Boise, which is why BSU is in the MWC title and this weekend and not AFA. Maybe a little CU hangover cost them the MWC title and a chance at a New Year's Six bowl. Who knows.

Back