What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020 CU football season POSTPONED until Nov 6th?

From Wilner's free newsletter today. Nothing definitive, but it won't be that long before we know.

You can sign up here to receive it directly.

Larry Scott on the State of Pac-12 football
Pac-12 officials have spent several weeks sorting through issues of immediate import during the COVID-19 shutdown, from the welfare of student-athletes scattered across the country to the financial damage incurred by the NCAA Tournament cancellation to the extension of eligibility for spring sports athletes.

But soon, very soon, the focus will turn to those dark skies looming on the September horizon.

“In the next week or two,’’ according to commissioner Larry Scott, the conference will dive into the potential for a disrupted football season.

“The optimistic model has an elongated training camp and on-time start (to the season),’’ Scott said. “The most pessimistic has no season at all.”

If the season starts on time, when would teams need to commence training camp in order to ensure the players are in proper physical condition?

If the season is delayed or canceled, how would the logistical and financial ramifications play out?

The Pac-12 has already formed what Scott described as a “football planning committee” that includes athletic directors, head coaches and directors of football operations and was asked to “identify and navigate the short-term issues.”

Now that the conference has suspended all organized team activities through May 31, the focus will broaden in scope.

Scott identified the end of May as an approximate deadline for determining the direction of the preseason and regular season.

And that direction, he indicated, will come from outside the Pac-12 football circle.

“A lot has to do with what the universities decide for their students on campus and what the public health officials believe,’’ Scott said, noting that schools have gone to remote learning.

“The decision is not really in our control.”

If there is disruption, the financial implications could be immense.

Football accounts for the vast majority of annual revenue for major college athletic departments: Each home game generates several million dollars in ticket revenue, and the TV contracts — both for the regular season and major bowls — are worth in excess of $20 million per school per year.

How would conferences be compensated for canceled games?

How would the TV windows be reconfigured if the season gets delayed or interrupted?

“I have been on the phone with ESPN and Fox, and whenever I get on the phone with them, they’re getting off the phone with representatives from the NBA and the NFL and baseball and NASCAR,’’ Scott said.

“By the time we see an impact on football, our (TV) partners will have figured out how to adapt an abbreviated season with what they’re doing with the NBA and the NFL and baseball and NASCAR.

“There’s a long-term view; people want to be fair. There will be an industry approach." -- Jon Wilner

Wonder if there is any thought to having the season start Oct 1 with only conference games. 9 weekends in October and November, conference championship games could still be December 5th. The creampuffs would be gone though, so maybe the SEC would just rather not have a season, lol.

In all seriousness though, would that be an option, or would programs rather give up conference games over tune up games?

Wonder if there is any thought to having the season start Oct 1 with only conference games. 9 weekends in October and November, conference championship games could still be December 5th. The creampuffs would be gone though, so maybe the SEC would just rather not have a season, lol.

In all seriousness though, would that be an option, or would programs rather give up conference games over tune up games?
conference games >>> non-conference exhibition games

All I know is the Buffs would need to be able to get their full spring practices in, along with fall camp, before playing a game. Our timing is horrible on a new staff and scheme with all of this going down. It could actually be to CU’s benefit if the entire season were cancelled.

All I know is the Buffs would need to be able to get their full spring practices in, along with fall camp, before playing a game. Our timing is horrible on a new staff and scheme with all of this going down. It could actually be to CU’s benefit if the entire season were cancelled.

I keep going back and forth on that - program wise, it probably would be. Financially, however, it could be disastrous.

The financial consequences of a cancelled season would far outweigh any damage we could possibly do on the field. We're talking about losing 50%-ish of the AD's revenue.

Yeah I could see the November start 8-9 conf games expanded playoffs. ND plays all ACC schedule.

The financial consequences of a cancelled season would far outweigh any damage we could possibly do on the field. We're talking about losing 50%-ish of the AD's revenue.
Except the financial consequences would be fairly evenly distributed across college football, whereas a compressed season and practice schedule will have a disparately negative impact on CU due to our last minute coaching change.

Except the financial consequences would be fairly evenly distributed across college football, whereas a compressed season and practice schedule will have a disparately negative impact on CU due to our last minute coaching change.

The financial consequences would hit us harder than others. It'd be better for the CU AD if we had a season and went winless than if we had to make up for the loss of 30-40 million somehow.

UCLA & Cal have suspended all academic requirements for the 2021 recruiting classes. Actually all schools in the California public system.

I assume this is implemented only if there is no season. Going to be interesting if the big boys decide they aren’t going to follow suit

Either no season or severely disrupted season with fewer games and/or no fans. And playing the season with no fans isn’t an unlikely scenario IMO. Main focus has to be on playing games to give the TV stations some content to show.

The financial consequences would hit us harder than others. It'd be better for the CU AD if we had a season and went winless than if we had to make up for the loss of 30-40 million somehow.
I'd ask UCLA and Cal about how it's going to hit their budgets ;).

It's gonna hurt CU - by quite a bit. But our AD is closer to operating in the black than most - I actually think nationally we'd be about middle of the road in terms of financial pain compared to the rest of the P5 if there's no season. If we have truncated training and a truncated season, it's probably gonna hurt us a lot worse than it will almost all other P5 programs due to the lack of training and practice time with an entirely new coaching staff.

I'd ask UCLA and Cal about how it's going to hit their budgets ;).

It's gonna hurt CU - by quite a bit. But our AD is closer to operating in the black than most - I actually think nationally we'd be about middle of the road in terms of financial pain compared to the rest of the P5 if there's no season. If we have truncated training and a truncated season, it's probably gonna hurt us a lot worse than it will almost all other P5 programs due to the lack of training and practice time with an entirely new coaching staff.

Don’t you think that one complete car crash of a football season, not like we’re strangers to that, would have a smaller long term effect on the AD than losing half its revenue for one year?

Don’t you think that one complete car crash of a football season, not like we’re strangers to that, would have a smaller long term effect on the AD than losing half its revenue for one year?
The point I'm trying to make is that neither of those events happen in a vacuum. It's not "which would be worse for CU?" The question is "which would hurt CU worse in comparison to other programs?"

In an absolute sense, it's definitely worse to have the whole season canceled. But, because every other schools' season would also be canceled, we would be in a better relative position to every other school in that scenario than we would be if there was a very truncated practice schedule and season.

Worse absolute position, better relative position.

And what about transferring? I mean if the season is cancelled now would certainly be the time to do it.

Gotta wonder how many guys intending to declare for the NFL will play in a Spring session.
Probably depends on what the no fun league tells them - and also what its plans are.

If the seasons are hugely delayed instead of outright canceled, I could honestly see a slower rotation back to a "normal" schedule for the NFL rather than an insta-snap back.

Say the NFL starts Nov 15 this year. Then next year instead of starting the season Sept 1 with a super truncated off-season, they instead start on like Oct 7, and then in 2022 finally move back to Sept 1.

To me that makes sense for building in a more "normal" down time between seasons for planning, injury recovery, etc.

It would also have a direct impact on the issue you're rightly bringing up about draft status and true competitive college ball being played into late winter/early spring.

The point I'm trying to make is that neither of those events happen in a vacuum. It's not "which would be worse for CU?" The question is "which would hurt CU worse in comparison to other programs?"

In an absolute sense, it's definitely worse to have the whole season canceled. But, because every other schools' season would also be canceled, we would be in a better relative position to every other school in that scenario than we would be if there was a very truncated practice schedule and season.

Worse absolute position, better relative position.

I’d rather have ten bucks even when it’s relatively less compared to others than five bucks when the majority may only have four.

Back