What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020 CU football season POSTPONED until Nov 6th?

I’m a little confused why they would go straight to cancelling the whole season instead of postponing but I guess it might seem inevitable to them.

I have a hard time believing the ACC is really with the sec and big 12 on this too. Too many good schools and good med schools more specifically.

Sure, but you gloss over willful misinformation campaigns and virus denial since. These decisions are why college football is going to be postponed or cancelled this season.

I'd put the premature openings in the south in the same category as the nursing homes. I have zero doubt you can tie some of the deaths we've seen in Arizona, Texas, and Florida back to a bar, nightclub, or restaurant. As far as your second sentence, you're totally wrong and giving the presidents/conference commissioners too much credit. This is all about money.

Do you really think there is no plan?

we are all, everyone, just doing the best we can to figure **** out across every activity and business.

sure, they had plans. they worked on different scenarios. all of that.

like the man said, everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. virus just punched us all in the face. again.

best thing the conferences can do is shut it all down, whether they position it as a indefinite hold or a cancellation of 2020-21 sports.

the sec might try to play but they are going to regret it. they are going to expose students to unnecessary dangers. they are going to expose themselves for what they are. that won't end in some sec-dominated super conference. it will end with the p12. the b10, the acc, and even the b12 having the high ground on what matters with allegedly amateur sports.

we are all, everyone, just doing the best we can to figure **** out across every activity and business.

sure, they had plans. they worked on different scenarios. all of that.

like the man said, everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. virus just punched us all in the face. again.

best thing the conferences can do is shut it all down, whether they position it as a indefinite hold or a cancellation of 2020-21 sports.

the sec might try to play but they are going to regret it. they are going to expose students to unnecessary dangers. they are going to expose themselves for what they are. that won't end in some sec-dominated super conference. it will end with the p12. the b10, the acc, and even the b12 having the high ground on what matters with allegedly amateur sports.
What do you mean by the virus just punched us in the face again though? Nothing has really changed with the virus over the last couple of weeks so what prompted them to cancel everything?

What do you mean by the virus just punched us in the face again though? Nothing has really changed with the virus over the last couple of weeks so what prompted them to cancel everything?
Cardio data? Testing inadequacies? Open sport experience (MLB)? Data from bubbles, which Prez know is too late? Player organization efforts, which they fear intensely? More teams shutting things down (17 now iirc)? Opt outs? Vocal community experience? Student body enrollment plans?

our national strategy with the virus to date has been founded on hope and little else. we all keep hoping it gets better. the punch in the face is the exponential growth of cases. math says it was inevitable without a coordinated national response. but, still, we all hoped it would get better.

it is human nature.

all those university presidents are staring in the face of a disaster that they could make exponentially worse with bad decisions. that isn't math that lead to the decision, it is the extinguishing of hope.

Since the Big 10 postponed fall sports, I have a serious question. Is it too early for the Mel Tucker to CSU jokes? Or is he too #relentless for the Rammies after HC Dude?

our national strategy with the virus to date has been founded on hope and little else. we all keep hoping it gets better. the punch in the face is the exponential growth of cases. math says it was inevitable without a coordinated national response. but, still, we all hoped it would get better.

it is human nature.

all those university presidents are staring in the face of a disaster that they could make exponentially worse with bad decisions. that isn't math that lead to the decision, it is the extinguishing of hope.
Agreed about the national approach but I actually think there is great evidence that these colleges are doing a great job handling everything since they brought these players back to campus. The negative headlines always freak people out but what about these other schools that have zero positive tests in their athletic departments over the last month?

Cardio data? Testing inadequacies? Open sport experience (MLB)? Data from bubbles, which Prez know is too late? Player organization efforts, which they fear intensely? More teams shutting things down (17 now iirc)? Opt outs? Vocal community experience?
But none of that is really new.

I think the plans are inadequate and the lack of transparency is glaring. We are still asking basic questions about how a season will look... in August.
I think Wilner has been pretty good about this and the only thing you can plan to do is be flexible. Ditching the season now is the opposite of being flexible don’t you think?

I think Wilner has been pretty good about this and the only thing you can plan to do is be flexible. Ditching the season now is the opposite of being flexible don’t you think?

I think you start with a pretty rigid set of uniform guidelines with some flexibility built in, but clearly delineating big consequences if team outbreaks occur and/or state/regional conditions deteriorate.

All I see is some sort of strange hodgepodge of guidelines mixed with a healthy dose of myopia. Schools within conferences cannot even agree on whether spectators will be in the stands. The conferences are in regular contact with each other, but things like the ACC being caught off-guard by SEC scheduling guidelines are still happening. It makes no sense.

Agreed about the national approach but I actually think there is great evidence that these colleges are doing a great job handling everything since they brought these players back to campus. The negative headlines always freak people out but what about these other schools that have zero positive tests in their athletic departments over the last month?
Success is not 17 programs having to shut down and inadequate testing and tracing.

Some have done well. Others are failures.

I think you start with a pretty rigid set of uniform guidelines with some flexibility built in, but clearly delineating big consequences if team outbreaks occur and/or state/regional conditions deteriorate.

All I see is some sort of strange hodgepodge of changes mixed with a healthy dose of myopia. Schools within conferences cannot even agree on whether spectators will be in the stands.

This. These college leagues should be asking these questions IMO:

1. What are the NBA, NHL, and PGA Tour doing right in terms of testing and rules around quarantining if you leave the bubble (or in the case of colleges your team) and what can we do to replicate that? I can't recall a positive test in golf since the Travelers.
2. What can we learn from MLB? I'd probably start with avoiding outings like the golf trip(s) the Cardinals took to Whistling Straits before they were scheduled to play the Brewers.
3. Can we afford to play in front of empty stadiums financially?

the spectacle of a whole bunch of student-athletes banding together to try to protect themselves from the universities that have a mandate to look out for them is impactful.

also, more cynically, what would you rather do if you are p5 conference--- cancel/postpone a season or let this movement grow to the point where they have to actually address the concerns the students have raised?

both are giant **** sandwiches. one is has a shorter duration than the other.

Success is not 17 programs having to shut down and inadequate testing and tracing.

Some have done well. Others are failures.
I think it’s good that programs identified infected players/staff, shut down and then reopen after they get it controlled. A lot better than what happened with the mlb where players were positive and went out and played lol.

Yes, I agree that chart indicates why there will be no fall CFB season.
View attachment 38643

Ha! Well at least you now know where to find the relevant data. Looks like you need some help interpreting it though.

New York is likely doing well now because the virus burned through there 1st after Europe and then through the other states and on down to Mexico (CA and the West Coast may have a separate strain). I think the summer surge could be blamed on our neighbors to the south. CA never opened up and still had a surge in LA. The national data however seem to be trending back in the right direction. Its not all doom-and-gloom like some seem to embrace. Maybe the leagues will punt to the spring in the hopes of having fans - follow the $.

If I was a proud New Yorker, I would be wondering why we are still locked down based on the data above and what the economic consequences are :unsure:

Last edited:
Back