What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020 CU football season POSTPONED until Nov 6th?

This. These college leagues should be asking these questions IMO:

1. What are the NBA, NHL, and PGA Tour doing right in terms of testing and rules around quarantining if you leave the bubble (or in the case of colleges your team) and what can we do to replicate that? I can't recall a positive test in golf since the Travelers.
2. What can we learn from MLB? I'd probably start with avoiding outings like the golf trip(s) the Cardinals took to Whistling Straits before they were scheduled to play the Brewers.
3. Can we afford to play in front of empty stadiums financially?
Pay the players. Allow unions. Bubble up. Play.

Ha! Well at least you now know where to find the relative data. Looks like you need some help interpreting it though.

New York is likely doing well now because the virus burned through there 1st after Europe and then through the other states and on down to Mexico (CA and the West Coast may have a separate strain). I think the summer surge could be blamed on our neighbors to the south. CA never opened up and still had a surge in LA. The national data however seem to be trending back in the right direction. Its not all doom-and-gloom like some seem to embrace. Maybe the leagues will punt to the spring in the hopes of having fans - follow the $.

If I was a proud New Yorker, I would be wondering why we are still locked down based on the data above and what the economic consequences are :unsure:

JFC, you are like a one-man propaganda outlet.

There's only slight evidence that a higher infection rate, such as existed in NYC months ago, slows the spread of the virus. Most evidence points to mitigation efforts, such as masking and social distancing, as the reason that NY's infection rate is now less than 1% So your statement above that a geographic region suffering many cases early in the spring somehow affects later infection rates is almost completely unsupported.

Also, there is no support (well, except for nativism) for your barely hidden blaming of brown people (neighbors to the south) for the infection rate in this country. Did the Mexicans invade Florida and Georgia too?

Any American should be looking at the data and wondering why we tolerate an infection rate of over 7% when NY and many other countries have shown that mitigation efforts can reduce that to less than 1%.

I think the plans are inadequate and the lack of transparency is glaring. We are still asking basic questions about how a season will look... in August.
Were you listening to Finebaum today? He said the same damn thing you did. I didn't see it, heard it over the radio. Whether you did or not, I agree, it's very ****ing glaring.

Pay the players. Allow unions. Bubble up. Play.

Let me respond to all of your points-

I'm a former college basketball player, and I don't support paying players. Here's why-If you're paying football players at CU hypothetically, you're going to have to pay your non-revenue athletes too in the not too distant future. That's going to lead to cuts in those sports. Instead of that, I'd rather see college age athletes be able to make money off their likenesses. No reason kids like Viska while he was here, Trevor Lawrence, and even Katie Ledecky during her time at Stanford can't capitalize on that to at least some extent.

Don't really have a problem with unions either.

Bubbles-How would you make that work.....especially with the NFL planning to (basing this off everything I've read on their plans) do something close to what MLB is doing? Let's say (for the sake of my point) that the Pac 12 decided to play 10 conference games in a bubble in Denver. They'd use Folsom, and they'd probably need 2-3 more venues. Where do you find them?

I'm a former college basketball player, and I don't support paying players. Here's why-If you're paying football players at CU hypothetically, you're going to have to pay your non-revenue athletes too in the not too distant future. That's going to lead to cuts in those sports. Instead of that, I'd rather see college age athletes be able to make money off their likenesses. No reason kids like Viska while he was here, Trevor Lawrence, and even Katie Ledecky during her time at Stanford can't capitalize on that to at least some extent.

Bubbles-How would you make that work.....especially with the NFL planning to (basing this off everything I've read on their plans) do something close to what MLB is doing? Let's say (for the sake of my point) that the Pac 12 decided to play 10 conference games in a bubble in Denver. They'd use Folsom, and they'd probably need 2-3 more venues. Where do you find them?
Denver, Boulder, Fort Collins, Colorado Springs to name a few with NFL/Collegiate fields. With fans not being in attendance, and High School ball being moved to SPring, there's also some pretty big and nice high school stadium complexes in the metro area.

If these adult players want to play, why can't there be a release of liability from the Universities they can all sign?
Some schools did this. Many scratched their heads. Then The NCAA said no. Widely believed a waiver is not legal. Water under the bridge on this one.

Some schools did this. Many scratched their heads. Then The NCAA said no. Widely believed a waiver is not legal. Water under the bridge on this one.
This is going to force action from the big programs to break away from NCAA. It exposes the issue with no central leadership and set of rules across the P5 conferences.

The general lack of apparent collaboration between the big conferences has been puzzling all along.

It's not surprising at all, at least to me. I imagine that the leadership apparatuses at most Pac12 and Big Ten schools view athletics completely differently than their counterparts at most SEC and Big 12 schools.

Watch for this to become a sweeping mentality across BIG and Pac 12 if/when the season is cancelled. Recruiting is going to suffer

Step off the ledge. First of all, it's one year. Second, if it blows up in everyone's faces and the season gets canceled after two weeks, how is that a recruiting win?

Step off the ledge. First of all, it's one year. Second, if it blows up in everyone's faces and the season gets canceled after two weeks, how is that a recruiting win?
Yes, it obviously depends on what happens with SEC/ACC/Big 12. What happens if/when those conferences decide to play?

Yes, it obviously depends on what happens with SEC/ACC/Big 12. What happens if/when those conferences decide to play?

Really I think it's all a crap shoot. If those conferences play and everything works out, the Big Ten and Pac 12 look like pikers. If those conferences play, kids get sick, and the season gets canceled a few weeks in, those conferences look like they care more about $$$$$ than kids and it's a negative recruiting nightmare for them.

JFC, you are like a one-man propaganda outlet.

There's only slight evidence that a higher infection rate, such as existed in NYC months ago, slows the spread of the virus. Most evidence points to mitigation efforts, such as masking and social distancing, as the reason that NY's infection rate is now less than 1% So your statement above that a geographic region suffering many cases early in the spring somehow affects later infection rates is almost completely unsupported.

Also, there is no support (well, except for nativism) for your barely hidden blaming of brown people (neighbors to the south) for the infection rate in this country. Did the Mexicans invade Florida and Georgia too?

Any American should be looking at the data and wondering why we tolerate an infection rate of over 7% when NY and many other countries have shown that mitigation efforts can reduce that to less than 1%.

Typical. Ignore the data showing the national rate is trending in the right direction and accuse me of being racist. Mexicans (you know humans living in Mexico) and their response (or lack thereof) along with their proximity to our country should be considered in their ability to affect our #s. I don't care what their skin color is. Maybe you do?

Amazing (but not surprising) to see the temper tantrums from those who would rather risk the health and potentially the lives of the players and coaches and officials and support staffs rather than give up one season of college football.

This not even considering that it wouldn't be a complete season even in the unlikely event that it didn't get cancelled partway in.

In no way would I want to be the college administrator who had a kid die or somebody permanently disabled because I made the call to play.

I was a non-revenue college athlete (D-II baseball), so I can understand your thinking. I just don't know why college football players should be responsible for subsidizing all of the other sports.

Amazing (but not surprising) to see the temper tantrums from those who would rather risk the health and potentially the lives of the players and coaches and officials and support staffs rather than give up one season of college football.

This not even considering that it wouldn't be a complete season even in the unlikely event that it didn't get cancelled partway in.

In no way would I want to be the college administrator who had a kid die or somebody permanently disabled because I made the call to play.
The players and coaches are the ones who are vocal about wanting to play. The administrators don't give a **** about their health, they simply don't want to be liable for anything.

Typical. Ignore the data showing the national rate is trending in the right direction and accuse me of being racist. Mexicans (you know humans living in Mexico) and their response (or lack thereof) along with their proximity to our country should be considered in their ability to affect our #s. I don't care what their skin color is. Maybe you do?

Trending in the right direction? Perhaps if you ignore the giant spike that (inexcusably) began two months ago. Not to mention the current plateau of more than 50,000 cases a day is just terrible. I wonder what your excuse will be when the rate rises again after schools open?

1597082977377.png

Also, It's hard to overstate your self-own of accusing me of calling you a racist when I never mentioned racism at all. Clearly, it's on your mind for some reason.

I'd put the premature openings in the south in the same category as the nursing homes. I have zero doubt you can tie some of the deaths we've seen in Arizona, Texas, and Florida back to a bar, nightclub, or restaurant. As far as your second sentence, you're totally wrong and giving the presidents/conference commissioners too much credit. This is all about money.
COVID explosion is why the money is problematic.

The players and coaches are the ones who are vocal about wanting to play. The administrators don't give a **** about their health, they simply don't want to be liable for anything.

Administrators are dealing with far, far more than that. Sometimes the football fans get very myopic.

Here is an example that I heard from a parent of an incoming freshman at CU. "My son is starting at CU in the Fall, but he is is in 90% online classes, with just a few recitations in-person... yet the football players can gather together and play a sport AND CU is thinking about putting fans in the stands? I should just have my kid go to community college for the term"

This isn't just a matter of football players wanting to take on the risk. Covid has never been about individual risk! It is a highly contagious virus that impacts everyone. So administrators are trying to figure out how they can allow the football team playing while also having students in 90% online classes. Or how they can keep staff that may have to interact with football players safe from infection, since the football players are not in a bubble (we just saw last week what happened at CSU). They are trying to figure out how to message to parents that their kids should stay enrolled and pay tuition for a reduced experience, while allowing football players to do their thing.

I've been saying it for months, but football is really just a minor concern for University leadership right now. They have much bigger fish to fry.

That's too strong, but the bottom line is, after all, their responsibility.

Back