What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020 off-season Buff golf and tennis news & awards

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
As with other sports, I always like to create these catch-all threads so we can report on and discuss any notable news that comes up regarding the men's and women's golf, skiing and tennis teams during this (unusual) off-season.

Note- As with other sports, I assume any seniors in the spring sports (golf and tennis) could receive an additional year of eligibility if they and the coaching staffs wished, while skiing seniors as a winter sport (although their Championships were cancelled at the half-way point) were not granted that option per the NCAA rule instituted.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A couple things to start with (I think I've already missed some news previously announced, so may need to back-fill when/ if I feel like it.)

The ski team recently announced its annual team awards. Congrats and thanks to all on the team! -

Direct link to article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2020/5/4/skiing-ski-team-hands-out-awards-at-virtual-banquet.aspx

"
BOULDER—Without the ability to hold its annual banquet in-person, the Colorado Ski Team took to social media to host a virtual banquet on Friday morning on the program's Facebook page.

While the event was different, the banquet program remained similar with coach Richard Rokos and his coaching staff announcing this year's letterwinners and giving out the team awards.

The ski team annually hands out eight awards:

The Dick Schoenberger Memorial Award has been awarded since 1963 and is given to the team's outstanding skier. Boee earned the honor this year with three wins and six total podiums on the season. Schoenberger was a close friend and supporter of the team, often hosting them at his C Lazy U ranch near Winter Park. After his passing in 1963, the award was named after him.

The Laura Sharp Flood Memorial Award is presented to the skier who exemplifies the spirit, enthusiasm and dedication on the mountain and in the classroom. Freshman Dietze was given the award this season. Flood tragically lost her life on April 9, 1989, training at Eldora.

The Outstanding Nordic Woman Award was given to Lervik after she completed a stellar senior season for the Nordic team.

The Buddy Werner Memorial Award is given in honor of America's first superstar in the sport and a scholarship was set up in his name in 1973 to benefit a deserving member of the team. Forejtek won this year's award after a stellar sophomore season.

The Lucie Hanusova Award is given to the skier who best overcomes challenges and adversity with smiles and enthusiasm. Young, who didn't miss a race but battled injuries all season, was this year's recipient. Hanusoava passed away in 2003 in a snowmobiling accident in Yellowstone National Park.

The Outstanding Alpine Woman Award was given this year to Tommy, who had one of the best seasons in CU history with five wins and nine podiums.

The Spencer Nelson Memorial Award is given by Spencer's parents, Peggy Smith and Peter Nelson, to the skier who overcomes adversity and demonstrates a strong work ethic. This year the award was given to Fleckenstein.

The Outstanding Career Achievement Awards were given this year to Bollum and Baangman, who both finished their third and final season as part of the team and both had stellar careers in which they were both All-Americans and skied at the NCAA Championships for the Buffs multiple times.

The virtual banquet also honored CU's three All-Americans for this year's abbreviated NCAA Championships, Forejtek earning a first-team honor and, Boee and Bollum second team honors, as well as CU's nine members of the All-Academic Ski Team (Boee, Bollum, Dietze, Fleckenstein, Olivia Gerrard, Quinn Lehmkuhl, Andrew Potyk, Takki and Young) and nine members of the All-RMISA Ski Team (Baangman, Boee, Bollum, Dietze, Fleckenstein, Forejtek, Lervik, Tommy and Young).

Tommy was also recognized for her bevy of awards that included the 2019 Sportswomen of Colorado Skier of the Year Award which she was honored with for her accomplishments in 2019 (the Sports Women banquet was cancelled in mid March). She was also named the RMISA Women's Alpine MVP and Skier of the Year and the Ski Coaches Association National Women's Alpine Skier of the Year for her performance in 2020.
"

___________________________________________________________________________________

Also, cubuffs.com released an article about women's golf team coach Anne Kelly, who is one of three LONG-time (20+ years) current CU coaches (along with ski coach Rokos and track & field/ cross country coach Wetmore), and became THE longest tenured women's coach in Buff history.

Congrats to her!

Direct link to article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2020/5/6/k...n-at-the-helm-of-the-womens-golf-program.aspx

"
By: Julie Robertson, SID Student Assistant
Release: May 06, 2020

BOULDER - Colorado Head Women's Golf Coach Anne Kelly celebrated her 23rd season this year. In doing so, she became the longest-tenured female head coach in school history, passing former women's basketball coach and current deputy athletic director, Ceal Barry.

An Aspen, Colo., native, Kelly can't remember a time when golf was not a part of her life. She grew up in a family of golfers, so it was a natural fit for her.

"My dad was a big golf nut and had a big influence on my love of the game and wanting to make golf a career," Kelly said. "My sister was also a good player as a junior golfer and my mom just had fun playing the game."

Kelly played her prep career at Santa Rita High School in Tucson, Ariz., and went on to play collegiately at TCU where she was part of the 1983 NCAA Championship team. Kelly would eventually go on to play professionally on the LPGA Tour for six seasons.

When she finished her professional career on the LPGA, she was working in the golf business but was not sure what her next move might be.

"My former college coach suggested I look into coaching," Kelly said. "I was able to get a job at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro and then a couple of years later was fortunate enough to get the job at CU."

The CU program Kelly inherited was young. It had only been around for three years when she became head coach in 1997.

"We had to build a program in what was perceived as a non-golf climate, with no indoor facilities and only two golf courses to use on limited days," she said.

Kelly was able to navigate around these barriers. She also received some help on the facilities side. In 2009, Colorado National Golf Course was named the home complex of the CU men's and women's golf programs. Then in 2012, an indoor facility was added. More recently, the golf coaches' offices were upgraded with a golf simulator for athletes to use for practice no matter what the weather.

Looking back at her teams throughout the years, one of her most successful came in 2012. It was the first time CU would compete in the Pac-12 Conference Tournament since the Buffs joined in the conference the previous summer. Colorado was set to play against some of the most talented teams in the country. The team finished sixth overall, but to Kelly, this was an opportunity for the team to improve and become stronger. But the team finished fourth at regionals and advanced to their first NCAA Championship.

"I wouldn't say that being in the Pac-12 is intimidating, but it is very challenging. But in the long run, to be the best you have to play against the best. We definitely get that opportunity in this conference." Kelly said.

When it became clear that all Pac-12 sporting events were going to be canceled for the rest of the season, Kelly said her initial reaction was a disappointment.

"I felt we were coming together and about to play some really good golf," she said. "But it was getting pretty stressful traveling and worrying about the virus and the health of our players."

Going forward, the perspective has changed on the game for Kelly and her team.

"I think everyone, including coaches, is learning not to take things for granted and make the most of every opportunity we have," Kelly said. "We talk all the time about controlling the things we can control and taking the game one shot at a time. I think those statements are more than just words now. Having those goals for next season will now be much easier to understand."
"

GREAT news for the women's golf team, as it was announced today that their one senior this past season (and low stroke average leader the past 2 seasons), Aussie Kirsty Hodgkins, has announced she will be coming back next season!

Direct link to article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2020/5/11/womens-golf-hodgkins-to-return-for-2020-21-season.aspx

"
BOULDER — With her senior season cut short due to Covid-19, University of Colorado senior Kirsty Hodgkins was given the opportunity to return for a fifth year, and she happily accepted.

"I'm extremely excited and incredibly grateful for this opportunity," Hodgkins said. "I want to thank the coaches for giving me this opportunity and CU Athletics Department for all of the hard work during this trying time."

Hodgkins was the only senior on the 2019-20 team and was leading the Buffs with a 73.10 stroke average. She lead the squad in the fall (73.00) through 15 rounds and in five rounds of stroke play in the spring, had a team-best 73.4 stroke average.

"We are very happy about Kirsty getting the chance to come back next year, especially since her senior year was cut short," head coach Anne Kelly said. "She is an excellent player and student-athlete. When I told Kirsty the news, I said it's not too often you get a "mulligan" in life, so let's take advantage this one! Kirsty has had such a successful career at CU; I'm just so happy she gets the opportunity to give her senior year another try."

The Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, native, has already etched her name in the CU record books and will look to add more in the 2020-21 season. Hodgkins is the career leader in top-five finishes (nine) and rounds under par (32) and is second in rounds in the 60s (10). She ranks third in stroke average (73.78) and is fourth in rounds in the 70s (105). A three-time NCAA Regional Tournament qualifier, Hodgkins is one of 10 Buffs to win a tournament as she took medalist honors at the 2017 Coeur d'Alene Collegiate. There she carded a 68-65-70—203 (10-under) to win by four strokes.

An engineering major, Hodgkins has been a two-time honorable mention Pac-12 All-Academic selection.
"

Like the women's golf team (see my last post), looks like the ski team received good news that one of their potential*** big contributors, alpine skier Isabella (Bella) Fidjeland (who hails from Kristiansand, Norway), has decided to come back for another year.
(***from her roster page, looks like she's dealed with quite a few injury issues during her time in Boulder.)

Congrats and thanks to her for (hopefully being able to) coming back to Boulder, and of course a BIG congrats on her graduating!

(Note - Unlike spring sports, senior student- athletes in a winter sport like skiing were NOT automatically given an additional year of eligibility next season due to COVID-19. However, it looks like she was able to take a regular or medical redshirt year after she wasn't able to compete in the 2019 season.)

Last edited:
Good to see ANY Buffs in ANY sport being able to compete right now.

Best wishes to the 2 current and a few more alum women's golf Buffs commpeting the next few days in Denver.

"
BOULDER — The University of Colorado women's golf program will be represented well at the 26th CoBank Colorado Women's Open at Green Valley Ranch Golf Club in Denver, June 3-5, with future, current and former Buffaloes competing.

Two of those entered will be playing for CU this fall. Hailey Schalk (Erie, Colo.) will be a freshman after graduating this past May from Holy Family High School and Kelsey Webster (Boulder, Colo.) will be a junior. Schalk is paired with former Buff Jenny Coleman, who will be returning to the LPGA Tour this July, while Webster will be playing with Kristin Coleman.

Two other CU graduates, Brittany Fan and Erin Houtsma, are also competing in the strong field.
"

Live leaderboard - https://cogf.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/cogf20/event/cogf202/contest/23/leaderboard.htm
(Edit- in the article I'm quoting above, looks like they missed at least one #ForeverBuff competing, as Kristin Coleman (Jenny Coleman's twin sister and also a Buff grad) is also showing up on the leaderboard.)

Last edited:
1st CU sport-related activity I've seen scheduled (at least with outside participation) since the virus started.

Article on Kristy Hodgkins' win (and congrats to #ForeverBuff Erin Houtsma for the runner-up finish!) -

"
FIRESTONE, Colo. — In the final between a pair of Buffaloes, it was current University of Colorado senior Kirsty Hodgkins who came away victorious, defeating former Buff Erin Houtsma 4&3 in the 36-hole final of the 105th CGA Women's Match Play Championship Thursday.

Hodgkins is now the second Buff on an active CU roster to win the tournament. Michelle Thomas, who played for CU from 1995-99, won in 1998.

"To be the first Buff to win this tournament in 22 years is quite special," Hodgkins said.

CU head coach Anne Kelly was able to watch the Buff vs. Buff match and enjoyed seeing the match-up.

"It was exciting and so much fun for me to come watch them," Kelly said. "I have so many great memories of Erin. She was a great player for us. And I'm so happy for Kirsty getting this win. She's been working really hard this summer. It's hard to see one of them win and one of them lose, but at least at Buff won."

In the senior women's championship, Kristine Franklin successfully defended her title, defeating Kimberly Eaton 3&2 for her fourth straight CGA women's senior major. Franklin is married to CU associate head coach Brent Franklin, making it a sweep for the Buffs at the tournament.
"

Congrats and best wishes to Ms. Hodgkins!

"
BOULDER — University of Colorado senior Kirsty Hodgkins has been invited to play at the 120th U.S. Women's Amateur, August 3-9, at Woodmont Country Club in Rockville, Md.

Hodgkins, a native of Brisbane, Australia, is one of 132 players in the prestigious field which contains 13 USGA Champions. The field is comprised entirely of exempt players due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.

"Normally they have qualifying across the country, and she would have had a very good chance at that. Now they just have limited it to selection, the best players in the world, and she was fortunate enough to get a spot," Colorado head coach Anne Kelly said.
"

Championship's home page - https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/championships/2020/u-s--women-s-amateur.html#!latest

A few golf notes:
  • At the Women's Amateur, looks like yesterday's 2nd round was washed out due to Hurricane Isaias, so they're playing it today. As of now, looks like Kirsty Hodgkins is tied for 27th at +1 (the leaders were at -4 after the 1st round), with her round scheduled to start at 1:00 (I assume ET?). The top 64 finishers after today's round advance to match play, which I assume will (weather permitting) begin tomorrow.

• And, congrats to Daniel O'Loughlin for being selected to play at the U.S. Men's Amateur strarting this coming Monday!

• And, looks like some good work is also being put in by some of the men's team down in Arizona-

Congrats to Buff Kirsty Hodgkins, who finishes the stroke play portion of the U.S. Women's Amateur at +5 (in a multi-player tie for 48th), so one stroke ahead of the +6 cut line, and qualifies for tomorrow's Round of 64 match play portion of the Championships!

And, on the men's side, looks like some good results in Arizona from one current Buff and a few #ForeverBuffs!

Congrats and thanks to Ms. Lau for what must be the GREAT work she's doing off the course for all Buff student-athletes!

Back