What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2022-23 Coaching Carousel

Every B lister or C lister is going to be interested but the A list guys are going to avoid it.

It is a B1G job but it is also a career killer. They will have big resources but will still be way behind the teams that will continue to regularly beat up on them.

Is Nebraska going to compete with Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Michigan State, Wisconsin, now USC, even Iowa?

The best they can hope for is a second level bowl and in most years there will be another few schools ahead of them.

Add to that the Nebraska "tradition." This means that whoever gets hired has to do things the Nebraska way, has to hire at least a couple assistants who are former players, has to honor the "traditions" and their way of doing things.

And for all of this every little mistake will be scrutinized, every move on and off the field will be reported, there is no privacy.

They were a B1G school when Frosty was hired, they were a B1G school when the coaches before Frosty were hired. If Frosty hadn't been a former husker he wouldn't have come. Look at their coaching searches prior, they quickly found themselves downgrading their ambitions.
This seems the most accurate. Nebraska would scare me as a coach. High expectation from a dumb and rabid fanbase, recruiting in Lincoln, ineptitude and irrelevance since 62-36, having to compete in the Big 10.

Every B lister or C lister is going to be interested but the A list guys are going to avoid it.

It is a B1G job but it is also a career killer. They will have big resources but will still be way behind the teams that will continue to regularly beat up on them.

Is Nebraska going to compete with Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Michigan State, Wisconsin, now USC, even Iowa?

The best they can hope for is a second level bowl and in most years there will be another few schools ahead of them.

Add to that the Nebraska "tradition." This means that whoever gets hired has to do things the Nebraska way, has to hire at least a couple assistants who are former players, has to honor the "traditions" and their way of doing things.

And for all of this every little mistake will be scrutinized, every move on and off the field will be reported, there is no privacy.

They were a B1G school when Frosty was hired, they were a B1G school when the coaches before Frosty were hired. If Frosty hadn't been a former husker he wouldn't have come. Look at their coaching searches prior, they quickly found themselves downgrading their ambitions.
Being in the B1G right now means significantly more than it did when Frost was hired. We’re also talking about a guy who has likely had multiple opportunities to leave Iowa State, but has chosen to stay there.

I actually think Campbell would probably be a pretty good fit in Lincoln

I don’t know, there aren’t many, if any programs in the country with more resources. They lack recruiting grounds and a desirable city, which we know is only a minor hurdle in CFB, especially when they will compete with any program in the NIL space.
Nebraska fans said the same things the last few searches and ended up surprised that the top candidates didn't want the job.

It is going to pay a lot and yes they will have resources. They still though aren't going to have the kind of resources that the top B1G schools have. The top schools in the conference aren't going away. It's a decent place to dead end but it is going to continue to be a dead end job.

Don't forget that Frosty had all those same resources and we can laugh but he was far from a failure at UCF. It isn't as if they have had terrible guys. Riley won at Oregon State where very few win, Pelini was respected as well.

I don’t know, there aren’t many, if any programs in the country with more resources. They lack recruiting grounds and a desirable city, which we know is only a minor hurdle in CFB, especially when they will compete with any program in the NIL space.

NIL is not a cure-all for lack of adjacent recruiting grounds.

I’m sure they’ll grab Fickell and be on their way. Darkhorse May be bill o’brien
O'Brien doesn't like recruiting, and the Nebby job is going to require a highly dynamic recruiter. Honestly, I'm not sure O'Brien likes people all that much. He wants an NFL job.

Forde lists a few compelling names for Nebraska

1. Matt Campbell (ISU)
2. Lance Leipold (KU)
3. Chris Klieman (KSU)
4. Mark Stoops (UK)

Can't see Nebraska being good with 2 or 3, but Campbell and/or Stoops seem like plausible names they could go after.

Forde lists a few compelling names for Nebraska

1. Matt Campbell (ISU)
2. Lance Leipold (KU)
3. Chris Klieman (KSU)
4. Mark Stoops (UK)

Can't see Nebraska being good with 2 or 3, but Campbell and/or Stoops seem like plausible names they could go after.
I couldn't possibly see the fanbase swallowing #2 or #3. There would be open revolt. Corn would go unpicked and wither on the stock. Feed lots would overflow in manure. Carhenge would go unvisited.

If CU is lucky enough to have a head coaching search, the difference between the haves and have nots in this new era of CFB will be very apparent when we see the contract/coaching pool the nubs are swimming in compared to CU.

I just want to feel hopeful again. I have been super pessimistic since the day Sark turned us down. The candidate list was so terrible, and somehow they went a step further.

I had never heard of Karl Dorrell, I was in elementary school during his UCLA stint so he was ancient history to me. The moment he showed up in a drab, ill-fit suit and a speech that sucked the energy out of the room I completely joined the dark side.

I just want a coach that gives me hope again. I want to be a sunshine pumper again so badly.

The nubs aren’t the only school going to be looking for a new head coach next yr with a shi** ton of $. I predict a few sec schools as well especially auburn. Where would you rather recruit too! they will pay just as much and have had more recent success and are a hellebore a lot closer to major talent. Why the hell would stoops go to Nebraska unless they pad at least 15 m a yr? Lexington compared Lincoln is a no brainer (Lincoln is a Sh** hole)

Back