What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2022/23 LACROSSE general off-season news thread (Home Scrimmage (indoors) vs. Northwestern Sat., 1/28, 1:00 PM MT)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
I always like to set up these threads for all the sports to account for any off-season and fall (for this sport) scrimmage and training period news.

With the season over for more than a month, there will be a little catch-up to do.

1st, just a quick look back with some summary numbers from this past season:
Record - 11-6 overall; 5-5 in Pac 12 play, which ended them up in 4th place (out of 6 teams).
RPI - Per https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/lacrosse-women/d1/ncaa-womens-lacrosse-rpi, The Buffs ended up rated #43 at season's end, with 118 D1 teams fielding a team.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

And congrats to Ms. Grozier (and Mr. Battey) for her honor!

Congrats to Coach Whidden!

Direct link to article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2022/7/14/whidden-inducted-into-ohio-lacrosse-hall-of-fame.aspx

"
BOULDER – Colorado head lacrosse coach Ann Elliott Whidden was one of five inducted to the Ohio Lacrosse Hall of Fame this past June.

The class included three players (Whidden, Alison Offenbuger Florea and Kimberly Lowe McCalla) and two long-time contributors (J. Stewart Lewis and Allyson McCarthy) to the growth of the game in the state of Ohio.

A four-year starter for the Shaker Heights Red Raiders, her teams never lost a conference game. SHHS won state championships in 2001 and 2003 and was runners-up in 2000. She was a high school All-American and the MVP of the 2001 OSLA State Tournament.

At Northwestern University she won three NCAA Championships as a player (2005-07). The Wildcats also won four consecutive conference championships. A defender, she was named an Inside Lacrosse Third Team All-American in 2007 and was a three-time Big Ten All-Academic honoree.

"It was an honor to be recognized with an induction into the Ohio Lacrosse Hall of Fame," Whidden said. "Growing up in Ohio is something I am very proud of, as is my career there. I stumbled upon lacrosse in middle school and it shaped my future without me knowing at the time. I learned a lot about myself and I had incredible coaches who remain significant mentor in my life to this day.

"Ohio lacrosse led me to Northwestern, and that experience changed my life and gave me memories and friendships that will last a lifetime. It is ultimately what brought me to Colorado and I am so thankful for all of the opportunities this sport has given me, and the incredible coaches in Shaker Heights and at Northwestern who have guided and pushed me along the way."
"

Congrats to the honorees, and the team overall!

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2022/7/27/lacrosse-12-buffs-earn-iwlca-academic-honor-roll.aspx

"
BOULDER — University of Colorado lacrosse players Kasey Braun, Kate Burnside, Molly Galloway, Sadie Grozier, Katie Haley, Bailey Hawkins, Sam McGee, Liz Phillips, Sabrina Robbins, Charlie Rudy, Karly van Leer and Aine Williams were named to the 2022 IWLCA Division I Academic Honor Roll.

To be eligible for this honor, student-athletes must be a junior, senior or graduate student and have earned a cumulative academic GPA of 3.50 or greater. The 12 honorees make up the largest group in CU history to receive the award in a season. The previous program-high was 11 in 2021. Braun, Burnisde, Grozier, Hawkins, Phillips, Robbins and Rudy are all repeat honorees.

The 2022 team was also named an IWLCA Academic Honor Squad for the 2021-22 academic year, marking its seventh straight season receiving this honor. To earn this award, teams must have posted a 3.2 or higher GPA for the year; Colorado achieved a 3.49 GPA.
"

Mitch Fenton and Taylor Stratton (who runs the Ralphie program) got married this weekend according to an Lacrosse IG story

Welcome and congrats to new Asst. Coach Beardsley!

Direct link to article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2022/8/30/beardsley-joins-lacrosse-coaching-staff.aspx

"
BOULDER—Colorado head coach Ann Elliott Whidden announced the addition of assistant coach Nicole Beardsley to her staff on Tuesday.

Beardsley comes to the Buffaloes from the University of Massachusetts, having spent the previous season as an assistant for the Minutewomen.

"I am so excited to welcome Nicole to our staff," Whidden exclaimed. "A fellow Northwestern alum, Nicole and I share similar backgrounds having played and worked for one of the best in Kelly Amonte Hiller. Nicole brings a ton of experience to our program, from both playing and coaching at the highest level. She is extremely hard working and has a great offensive mind. We are excited for what she will add to our program as our offensive coordinator and eager for her to start working with and developing our players."

While at UMass, Beardsley worked with the team's attack and goalies. The Minutewomen went 9-0 in the Atlantic 10 Conference, winning the A10 regular season and the program's first at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament. Beardsley helped mentor two All-American attackers in Kendra Harbinger and Kelly Marra. UMass was ranked as high as No. 13 in the nation, marking the team's highest ranking in program history. The Minutewomen concluded the season ranked No. 22 and had two players selected to the IWLCA Senior All-Start teams.

Prior to UMass, Beardsley spent three seasons as the Director of Operations at Northwestern. The Wildcats made two Final Four appearances (2019, 2021) and claimed the 2019 Big Ten Tournament championship. Northwestern finished ranked in the top 10 in all three seasons.

Beardsley graduated from Northwestern in 2018. In her four-year career, the Wildcats advanced to two Big Ten Tournament finals and made the NCAA Tournament each season. Northwestern went as far as the Elite Eight in both 2015 and 2018.

Beardsley scored a career-high 19 goals as both a junior and senior and finished with 41 goals in her 52 games. 2018 was her best statistical season, adding a career-high nine assists to give her 28 points. Over her career, Beardsley was an All-Big Ten Tournament selection, a Big Ten Distinguished Scholar and a member of the team leadership group.

Beardsley, a native of Burnt Hills, N.Y., earned her bachelor's degree in human development and psychological services and received her master's in sport and performance psychology from the University of Western States in 2021. She also has a certificate in coaching and leadership development from Northwestern's Kellogg Executive School of Management.
"

Best wishes to the team as it looks like they're begin their off-season (fall) training period.

The team announced its newest members. Looks like a pretty good size class, consisting of 9 freshmen and 1 transfer.

Also, the article notes that there will be a Black and Gold Scrimmage in 10 days (Sept. 24th.) at 8:00 AM MT.

OFFICIAL welcome and congrats to all!

Direct link to article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2022/9/14/lacrosse-buffs-add-10-new-faces-for-2023.aspx

"
BOULDER — Colorado head coach Anne Elliott Whidden announced the addition of 10 newcomers for the Buffaloes' 2023 lacrosse season. The team added nine freshmen and one transfer as preparations for the spring get underway.
"I am very excited about our 2022 class," Elliott Whidden commented. "We recruited this class all remotely through zoom. We feel very fortunate that many of them decided to take a chance on CU without getting to see the campus in person. I believe this is a strong class for us, one of the strongest we have had. The class is filled with potential and an ability to make an impact in a variety of ways - offensively, defensively, on the draw, and through the midfield. This group fits perfectly into our culture at CU, as they are all competitors who grind it out on the field and are eager to step up and make an impact. We are excited about what they bring to our program and are looking forward to a great first year."

#18 Lily Assini – Freshman, Midfielder, Englewood, Colo. (Cherry Creek H.S.)

Whidden on Assini:
"I am so excited to welcome Lily to our CU family. Being from Colorado, I got to see Lily play in high school and starting her freshmen year she was an impact player. Instantly, I knew this was someone we would love to have in our program. Lily is a strong two-way midfielder, who has great instincts on the field and a drive to get better and compete. We are excited about what she will do in her four years here."

High School: Graduated from Cherry Creek H.S. in 2022 … earned four letters in lacrosse and three in field hockey ... Conference Player of the Year as a junior and senior ... two-time First Team All-State ... US Lacrosse All-American as a junior and senior ... scored 55 goals with 31 assists, helping the Bruins to a 14-4 record in 2022 ... graduated with a yellow chord (3.75 GPA and above in all four years) ... was also High Honor Roll and All-Academic All-State in both lacrosse and field hockey.

#51 Caity Brower – Freshman, Goalie, Danville, Calif. (San Ramon Valley H.S.)

Whidden on Brower:
"Caity has a strong passion for lacrosse and is very committed. I am excited about the competition Caity will bring to our goalie position. She has the ability to make an impact right away. We are really excited about Caity's potential and excited to start working with her.

High School: Graduated from San Ramon Valley. in 2022 … lettered all four years in lacrosse ... also earned two letters in cross country and one in track and field ... closed her high school career with a .440 save%, 55 career saves and 28-15 record ... was EBAL First Team as a senior ... earned NorCal All-American and USA Lacrosse All-American honors her senior year ... was an Under Armor West All-American as a sophomore.

#24 Mary Carson – Freshman, Midfielder, New Albany, Ohio (New Albany H.S.)

Whidden on Carson:
"Mary is a two-way midfielder who can make an impact in a variety of ways. I am really excited we got the opportunity to have Mary in our 2023 class. She has had a lot of success at the high school level and is a hardworking player who can grind it out. She competes on the field. I am looking forward to our staff working with Mary and helping her achieve all her goals."

High School: Graduated from New Albany H.S. in 2022 … earned four letters in lacrosse and three in cross country ... was the Central Ohio Women's Lacrosse Player of the Year as a junior ... a two-time First Team All-OCC selection … also earned First Team All-Region and All-State honors in her career… set school record for ground balls and caused turnovers … appeared in the state championship in all three seasons competed, winning the 2022 state title … went 21-2 overall in 2022.

#7 Mack Hanlon – Freshman, Defender, Collegeville, Pa. (Perkiomen Valley H.S.)

Whidden on Hanlon: "Mack is a defender, who can make an impact through the midfield. She has strong 1v1 defense, good instincts and good speed. We are excited to have Mack in our program and believe she has a lot of potential. We have a younger defensive squad this year and we are excited to add Mack to that group and see what she can do!"

High School: Graduated from Perkiomen Valley H.S. in 2022 … lettered all four years in lacrosse ... graduated honor roll with an A average all four years ... ranked No. 3 in the Top Defenders in the Class of 2022 by Shake School Lacrosse ... won the Pac-12 Citizenship Award ... was All-Area honorable mention.

#5 Rachel Kennedy – Freshman, Attack, Littleton, Colo. (Arapahoe H.S.)

Whidden on Kennedy: "Rachel has great energy and a strong passion for lacrosse and Colorado. We are so glad she chose to stay in Colorado to continue her lacrosse career. She will immediately add depth to our attack. Rachel has great vision on the field and is a great combination and smooth/calm and aggressive. She can make an impact in a variety of ways on the offensive end and believe she is going to have a great career at CU."

High School: Graduated from Arapahoe H.S. in 2022 … lettered three seasons in both lacrosse and field hockey ... member of the honor roll in all four years ... First Team All-Academic as a junior and senior ... earned First Team All-Conference honors as a junior and senior ... led Arapahoe draw controls, ground balls, caused turnovers, assists and goals in 2021 ... scored 78 goals in 19 games as a senior ... was the 2022 Arapahoe High School Athlete of the Year and a 2020 USA Lacrosse All-American.

#5 Jess Peluso – Freshman, Midfielder, East Islip, N.Y. (East Islip H.S.)

Whidden on Peluso: "Jess is a great athlete, who makes an impact in every way possible in the midfield. She is strong on the draw, has great instincts on defense and has a nose for the cage on offense. She can create for herself and for others. She will make an impact in many different ways during her time here and we are really excited about her potential. We are looking forward to a great career here from Jess."

High School: Graduated from East Islip H.S. in 2022 … lettered in lacrosse, field hockey and basketball … scored 54 goals and had 14 assists with 210 draw controls in 2022 … multiple All-Conference, All-League, All-Coutny and All-State selections in all three sports … graduated as the most decorated male or female athlete in East Islip H.S. history with 13 letters.

#12 Molly Reed – Freshman, Midfielder, Chapel Hill, N.C. (East Chapel Hill H.S.)

Whidden on Reed: "I am excited about the addition of Molly to our program. Molly has had a ton of success in her high school career and is a great two-way midfielder. She has great speed, good hands and wants to compete. She gets it done and has a great mindset. Molly can make an impact in a variety of ways for us on the field and we can't wait to get started working with her."

High School: Graduated from East Chapel Hill H.S. in 2022 … lettered all four years in lacrosse and field hockey ... was First Team All-Conference and All-State all four years ... Two time All-American ... 2021 Conference Offensive Player of the Year ...2022 Conference Player of the Year ... scored 90 goals as a senior, helping ECH to an 18-2 record and a conference championship ... finished her high school career with one state championship and three conference championships ... also a two-time Conference Offensive Player of the Year in and the 2019 Conference Player of the Year in field hockey.

#2 Maddie Shoup – Freshman, Midfielder, Lafayette Hill, Pa. (William Penn Charter)

Whidden on Shoup:
"I am excited about the addition of Molly to our program. Molly has had a ton of success in her high school career and is a great two-way midfielder. She has great speed, good hands and wants to compete. She gets it done and has a great mindset. Molly can make an impact in a variety of ways for us on the field and we can't wait to get started working with her."

High School: Graduated from William Pen Charter in 2022 … started all four years in lacrosse ... helped William Penn win PAISA State championships in lacrosse (2022) and soccer (2020) ... named Philly Lacrosse Co-Player of the Year in 2022 ... picked up All-American honors as a junior and senior ... was First Team All-Inter-AC as a junior and senior ... earned one Player of the Week honor as a senior.

#52 Camryn Stoner – Senior, Defender, Sparta, N.J. (Pope John Regional H.X. XXIII/Marist)

Whidden on Stoner:
"We are excited to add Camryn to our program. We have a younger defensive squad and Camryn will help add depth to that group. She has good experience playing at the DI level and is eager to compete for us here at CU. We are looking forward to working with Camryn and are excited about the experience she gives us on the defensive end!"

At Marist: Played in 22 career games … led the team with 30 ground balls in 2022.

High School: Stoner played varsity soccer and varsity lacrosse for all four years...She lettered in varsity for basketball her senior year...In lacrosse, she was named First-Team in the North Jersey Interscholastic Girls Lacrosse League for three years...She was also named First-Team All-Herald her first three years of high school...She was also First-Team All-Conference her junior and senior year in soccer...She was named to the All-Academic Team all four years in soccer as well.

The Buffs will hold their annual Black & Gold scrimmage on at Kittredge Field on Saturday, Sept. 24, at 8 a.m. MT.
"

Season about 10 days from unofficially beginning (home scrimmage with perennial power Northwestern) and around 23 days until the official 1st game against Vanderbuilt. So ...

went to the scrimmage and was not too disappointed. NW won 19-15 but it was close thought out and with 4 minutes to go it was 16-15. CU had a penalty and that kind of stopped their momentum. Goalies looked good and made some nice saves. NW is ranked 2 and has a great scorer in Scane. Rudy came out and played weill and scored 4 or 5 goals. Draw control was a huge problem as NW was basically playing make it take it in the 3rd quarter. the used Zoe McElhaney for most of the game and CU really struggled to get a draw control. They put in a freshman Jess Peluso and she did much better. She filed the run to get back within 1 goal, but she got a penalty on the next draw and NW has too many snipers and scored easily. Peluso is big but needs to get in better shape and work on her speed. I thought it was a much better crowd than I expected, but it helped having a ton of NW fans there and being in the IFP. That would have been cold if they played on Kitt today. Overall not a bad effort. Need to improve in consistency and draw control. They need to get back to the NCAA this year

Back